Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Testing for Spark on M8 touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 07:47 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

@Schex yep 124 kit. Was running before this all started too. Heads were removed as I thought something was wrong but was stupid and trying to turn wheel in 1st gear and not 6th thinking engine was binding. Power issue.... I had a lithium battery (have had issue with before) and I switch to old original agm battery. I'm hoping with this rebuild again it'll just work? That's the sort of luck I have typically

Old 01-17-2024, 08:08 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Try the reboot thing just in case
I ran lithium a few years in my old Evo, I gave up on them, back to AGM

Old 01-17-2024, 08:13 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

@Schex will do, I'm gonna throw it all back together tomorrow and see what happens. I have a good feeling about it

Old 01-17-2024, 08:29 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Trying to start a 124 ci in 20F with LI?

Just look at the poor putzes trying to get their Teslas charged in Chicago..

The following users liked this post:
WP50 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 08:33 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

@Max Headflow it's probably like 5 degrees if that. Been in the negatives for a week..... goddamn engine is an ice block which isn't helping anything I know haha

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 08:49 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Trying to start a 124 ci in 20F with LI?

Just look at the poor putzes trying to get their Teslas charged in Chicago..

Old 01-17-2024, 09:05 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

I don't know how Ya'll northerners work in that, I'm near New Orleans and it was in the mid 20's this morning, I worked in the shop with a propane heater between my legs,
I made it about two hours, it was miserable, I almost died.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:25 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

The spite I have for my bike not working keeps me plenty warm (I have a propane heater as well)

Old 01-18-2024, 05:40 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

@paulmedford @Schex I think I have a leak from my intake valves from the very quick test I ran with blowing air in the spark hole with this leak down tester tube. I didn't put anything in to determine TDC I just rotated wheel til it sounded like the valves were closing and they never did completely could always hear a decent airstream from the intake. Heard exhaust and intake and closing but intake would always have air comjng out. Am going to do full leak down test but not sure that even is worth it with the air coming from intake valves... When I rebuilt heads this makes sense I didn't replace valves on either intake or exhaust and the intake ones looked pretty oxidized or something I would say? Just rough that's why I wanted to clean everything as well as possible. What's best route to go for leaking valves? I'll need to add that to the list but will want to fix that before proceeding to electrical start problems right?

Old 01-18-2024, 05:41 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

@paulmedford @Schex I think I have a leak from my intake valves from the very quick test I ran with blowing air in the spark hole with this leak down tester tube. I didn't put anything in to determine TDC I just rotated wheel til it sounded like the valves were closing and they never did completely could always hear a decent airstream from the intake. Heard exhaust and intake and closing but intake would always have air comjng out. Am going to do full leak down test but not sure that even is worth it with the air coming from intake valves... When I rebuilt heads this makes sense I didn't replace valves on either intake or exhaust and the intake ones looked pretty oxidized or something I would say? Just rough that's why I wanted to clean everything as well as possible. What's best route to go for leaking valves? I'll need to add that to the list but will want to fix that before proceeding to electrical start problems right?

Quick Reply: Testing for Spark on M8 touring