Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Testing for Spark on M8 touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 02:26 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

im quite sure this was a simple fix, but the OP sounds very new to this. I wish I was there im sure his bike would have been sorted days ago. But I guess thats all part of the learning process

Old 01-17-2024, 03:07 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmedford
im quite sure this was a simple fix, but the OP sounds very new to this. I wish I was there im sure his bike would have been sorted days ago. But I guess thats all part of the learning process

What's the fix? Leak down? That's not a fix, that's a tool..

The following users liked this post:
paulmedford (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 03:30 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

talking about the original issue with no spark, no electricity. that compression not that low to not start the bike.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:31 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,075 Likes on 3,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
What's the fix? Leak down? That's not a fix, that's a tool..
Unless I missed a few post's, I dont understand why he DID a leak down or even a compression test in an attempt to diagnose loss of spark.I get that we're workin over the internet but the two are as unrelated as loss of taillight and cam timing.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:34 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

it won't spark if there is no compression. But I agree his compression is good enough so that when cranking it would "sense" compression and spark.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:51 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

If the battery drops below about 9.5 volts while cranking the motor won't spark. While I'm not positive about sparking one M8s but do know on TCs. As stated in other places if there isn't good compression on the rear cylinder the ECM probably won't make sparks or send fuel for that matter.

One thing the OP can do is enable Min/Max on the DMM and measure the voltage across the battery while cranking. Have to connect the DMM first then enable and hold there.

Measuring cable ohms is a waste of time with that DMM. Voltage drop across each line while cranking can be done.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:53 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

If M8's are like TC's with cranking and ignition, I'm skeptical about having enough compression for ignition, the spark isn't the first problem on the list, being down on compression 70+ lbs on both cylinders is #1, then add ACR's drop to that.
He says the engine was rebuilt, it seems the heads and valves where just cleaned and valve stem seals replaced, as mentioned in one of the post.
We need more details, what was done with the pistons, rings and cylinders?
The problem could be many things, maybe even pistons with the wrong compression height.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:16 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Schex
If M8's are like TC's with cranking and ignition, I'm skeptical about having enough compression for ignition, the spark isn't the first problem on the list, being down on compression 70+ lbs on both cylinders is #1, then add ACR's drop to that.
He says the engine was rebuilt, it seems the heads and valves where just cleaned and valve stem seals replaced, as mentioned in one of the post.
We need more details, what was done with the pistons, rings and cylinders?
The problem could be many things, maybe even pistons with the wrong compression height.
I missed that part. I thought it was like 140.. I'll agree if only 70 psi.

A common issue with newbs is adjusting the pushrod too deep. New lifters have light machine oil in them and they bleed as fast as you can twist the wrench. In that case, I've seen here that they adjust to complete compression of the plunger before going the prescribed number of turns. At that point the valves are off the seats. The is a lot of stuff going on here to figure out what the issue is..

Old 01-17-2024, 04:21 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ_Glide
Should have checked engine compression first, it was not good. 130 on rear and 140 front.... not exactly sure what they should be but know it's alot higher than that. I'm guessing that's why It wasn't firing as well while everything else worked.
Originally Posted by EZ_Glide
This was checked on a 20 degree F engine, first test i did on front and rear cylinders had the acr sensors connected I thought they were not and got that 130/135 or so psi on rear and front. Disconnected and got same reading on rear of 130? They are within range according to service manual (within 10% and with acr connected above 110 minimum?) Just weird it's the same with or without that connected
Originally Posted by Schex
Go through the pushrod adjustment , the compression should be up in the 200 range
Max, this his post on compression test, he said 130 with or without ACR if I'm understanding correct, tock M8's are what, 215-220? somethings wrong.
I agree on the pushrod adjustments, suggested that days ago

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 04:30 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

he readjusted his pushrods and the compression was the same. Still at 130 it should fire the plug. Compression will sort out after but its a different issue. His loss of spark was the main concern

Quick Reply: Testing for Spark on M8 touring