Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Target Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 01:01 PM
rons73
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Target Tune

I just finish my 128 big bore kit and was going to get the bike dyno tuned but after giving it some thought I decided to pull the trigger on the dyno jet Target Tune with wide band sensors. already have Powervision . Reason being I’ll most likely make changes to the bike and didn’t want to have to go back to a tuner and spend all that money.

Heard good things about TT but does anyone else have experience with it? Curious if there is any recommendations or tips/tricks to get the bike as closest to a professional dyno tune and getting most power out of the 128 kit.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:00 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,463 Likes on 3,641 Posts

I'm finding that it depends on how you ride the bike when you try to do the auto tune with the target tune..
Once I got my new pipes installed with the 18 mm bungs I rode very aggressive to try and populate as many cells as possible bringing the e motor up in the 4000-6000 RPM range and throttle position at 60 70 80% 90% 100% throttle.. I really wanted to load the motor to hopefully get the best tune for hard riding and it did..

So after exporting, saving and downloading that auto tune into the ECM I then did another auto tune.. I didn't ride as hard this time and was very surprised to see how this session had lowered my VE tables.. started to lean out my tune..

The thing I'm trying to show here is that the auto tune session is constantly changing the VE tables, So if you want a tune that will protect your motor with higher VE tables and better AFR's you will have to ride the same every time you do an auto tune session.. light to moderate riding will decrease the VE's as compared to riding hard..

So here's what I think should be done.. Do a hard ride to make sure your VE tables will be higher than say just a cruising tune.. This will be your base tune and should not be altered any more and store it into your ECM.. This way you'll always have the tune you need for hard riding.. The reason why I say this is because with wide band O2's are constantly monitoring AFR's.. It will still try to change injector pulse width based on throttle, set AFR's, map etc but you will still have the base map that won't go lean on you..

This is the way I'm starting to see it.. If anyone sees it differently please let me know.. Hope this helps..

Old 01-11-2024, 12:32 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

this is true but it should be setup so that it uses the Wideband to calibrate the VE only then stop so it would use a lookup afr table when in open loop ( hard riding) and then use the o2 sensors for feed back for closed loop ( rely on the o2 sensors for stoic burn). ill fiddle with the software and see.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:44 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I think what you may be missing is under normal operation closed loop is already adjusting the fuel mixture to meet the target AF/Lambda in the calibration, the benefit of Target Tune is this area & range is extended. Both CLI (short term) and AFF (long term) fuel trim are VE multipliers. Using the TT-Auto Tune application will however help dial in the tune by taking logged AF data and correcting the VE tables directly, this is beneficial as the closer & more accurate the base VE is the less the ECM has to correct with closed loop. Note if you manually change or say richen your VE tables the ECM is still going to refer to the AF target in the tune vs actual AF and adjust it to where it needs to be via the multipliers. There are always going to be corrections of some sort whether it is AT or closed loop as the ECM is not capable of perfect fuel delivery under every condition.

There is more info on Target Tune on the FM University site including the following article>> https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...rget-tune-faq/

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following users liked this post:
MURPHCC1 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 12:49 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
The thing I'm trying to show here is that the auto tune session is constantly changing the VE tables, So if you want a tune that will protect your motor with higher VE tables and better AFR's you will have to ride the same every time you do an auto tune session.. light to moderate riding will decrease the VE's as compared to riding hard...
Unfortunately that's not how it works, you don't need higher or lower ve numbers. You need the right number. AFR's you set the target. Yes the broadband sensors read a wider range and bring your ve tables close. At the end of the day though if you finish up the tune with narrow bands you will have a much more accurate set of ve tables, they are so much faster and accurate. I must give credit to those that tune on the street because a good tune requires accurate data collection. On the street how can you hold for example, 40% throttle at 3000 rpm long enough to get good data? On the dyno I can hold wot @ 2000 rpm all day.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lonewolf176:
Fat11Lo (01-12-2024), FLTRI17 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 01:05 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

@Lonewolf176 I get what you're saying about Street/dyno.. impossible to hold a steady load long enough.. I feel like I'm beating the **** out of my bike.. At least with a dyno you can set rpm and load and hold it there to get more accurate sampling..

The following 3 users liked this post by 98hotrodfatboy:
Fat11Lo (01-12-2024), FLTRI17 (01-11-2024), Schex (01-12-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 04:50 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't be surprised if someday I get myself an i-250.. I do realize that Target tune, I tune, Looney tunes Is all a substitution for the real thing, Maybe I'll even make a mobile.. I want to see the country anyways... Lol...

Old 01-11-2024, 06:49 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Unfortunately that's not how it works, you don't need higher or lower ve numbers. You need the right number. AFR's you set the target. Yes the broadband sensors read a wider range and bring your ve tables close. At the end of the day though if you finish up the tune with narrow bands you will have a much more accurate set of ve tables, they are so much faster and accurate. I must give credit to those that tune on the street because a good tune requires accurate data collection. On the street how can you hold for example, 40% throttle at 3000 rpm long enough to get good data? On the dyno I can hold wot @ 2000 rpm all day.
I use this bridge near me, there's not alot of traffic during mid day. I use the zoomed in screen when auto tuning, the long uphill helps me keep the crosshairs in the middle of the cell long enough to get all the hits.
Seems to work.

98hotrodfatboy (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 09:02 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,149 Likes on 1,857 Posts

waiting for gunner

Notgrownup (01-12-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 09:49 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex
I use this bridge near me, there's not alot of traffic during mid day. I use the zoomed in screen when auto tuning, the long uphill helps me keep the crosshairs in the middle of the cell long enough to get all the hits. Seems to work.
Well that would help as would a passenger. WOT might be a little scary.

Quick Reply: Target Tune