Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Target Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 05:38 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Oh yea, texting and driving is a walk in the park compared to auto tuning 😃

The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 09:10 AM
DiamondYoda
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto tunning

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I'm finding that it depends on how you ride the bike when you try to do the auto tune with the target tune..
Once I got my new pipes installed with the 18 mm bungs I rode very aggressive to try and populate as many cells as possible bringing the e motor up in the 4000-6000 RPM range and throttle position at 60 70 80% 90% 100% throttle.. I really wanted to load the motor to hopefully get the best tune for hard riding and it did..

So after exporting, saving and downloading that auto tune into the ECM I then did another auto tune.. I didn't ride as hard this time and was very surprised to see how this session had lowered my VE tables.. started to lean out my tune..

The thing I'm trying to show here is that the auto tune session is constantly changing the VE tables, So if you want a tune that will protect your motor with higher VE tables and better AFR's you will have to ride the same every time you do an auto tune session.. light to moderate riding will decrease the VE's as compared to riding hard..

So here's what I think should be done.. Do a hard ride to make sure your VE tables will be higher than say just a cruising tune.. This will be your base tune and should not be altered any more and store it into your ECM.. This way you'll always have the tune you need for hard riding.. The reason why I say this is because with wide band O2's are constantly monitoring AFR's.. It will still try to change injector pulse width based on throttle, set AFR's, map etc but you will still have the base map that won't go lean on you..

This is the way I'm starting to see it.. If anyone sees it differently please let me know.. Hope this helps..
auto tune is sub par. You need to have the bike dyno tuned or at least a pre made map downloaded. If you go out and run each gear up to red line, then auto tune would be ok. Otherwise, you are not getting a full tune.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:30 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
waiting for gunner
You obviously have nothing intelligent to say so you might want to sit this one out.

I don't think some of you realize how much faster the Delphi ECM is reading the data from the much slower wideband sensors. A good tuner knows this and knows how to compensate by taking averages under Various steady loads. It's also why he uses both wideband and narrowband.
You're making changes to cells based on data that's behind.
Now TT SUPPOSEDLY takes this "lag" in data into account. I would sure want to know exactly how it accomplishes this great feat.
Probably why the maker of the best tuner there is doesn't try selling such gimmicks?

Nearly impossible without a dyno.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-14-2024 at 09:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (01-14-2024)