Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PV-1B vs PV4

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 10:39 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

As Lonewolf said, find a tuner to dyno tune with your SERT. A good tuner can tune with it, you save the cost of buying a tuner, and you can tweak it to your heart's content should the need arise. It's more than capable.
There's not a shortage of tuners in this area and well worth a trip.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:10 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
I'm surprised the PV4 hasn't been pulled by now ...a quick read to see what tuners are up to these days and Dynojet were apologising profusely somewhere I read.
Because they are having issue with it?
Originally Posted by 60Gunner
As Lonewolf said, find a tuner to dyno tune with your SERT. A good tuner can tune with it, you save the cost of buying a tuner, and you can tweak it to your heart's content should the need arise. It's more than capable.
There's not a shortage of tuners in this area and well worth a trip.
I might, it is a lot of money. But fuel moto can't tune with it. I am curious if places have issues with it, I believe it needs windows 7 to run. I was going to try power it up to see what happens. But I need a dongle for my laptop. I have a desktop that I have not fired up since around 2009, no reason why it should not work.

I am not sure if there are emmulators to run windows 7 or xp on newer versions of windows.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:55 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,178 Likes on 7,675 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Because they are having issue with it?

I might, it is a lot of money. But fuel moto can't tune with it. I am curious if places have issues with it, I believe it needs windows 7 to run. I was going to try power it up to see what happens. But I need a dongle for my laptop. I have a desktop that I have not fired up since around 2009, no reason why it should not work.

I am not sure if there are emmulators to run windows 7 or xp on newer versions of windows.
Okay Rounders, all joking aside here is some information that may help you:

1. I just loaded my old Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner Software (from 2007) up on my Windows 11 laptop computer.
2. Looks like it should run just fine.
3. My tuner and cables along with the software CD went with my FLHTC when I traded it in.
4. You will need your tuner, cables that came with it and software.
5. Hope this helps.
6. Happy New Year.
7. Good luck.

NOTE:
The above information, while credible, is worth what you paid for it and should not be considered gospel.
Do due diligence, research and have a H-D Field Service Manual before working on your bike.
You will probably have many opinions and suggestions presented; make sure you research the person providing the helpful information as there are some who provide good information and some who speak out of other orifices with gibberish. You will figure out this quickly.

Attached Files

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 01-01-2024 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added PDF Tables
The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (01-03-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 10:07 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I need a dongle, most laptops these do not have serial connection, and moved to USB. If the CD runs, will that mean the SERT will run and connect?

Last edited by Rounders; 01-01-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:48 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
Okay Rounders, all joking aside here is some information that may help you:

1. I just loaded my old Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner Software (from 2007) up on my Windows 11 laptop computer.
That's the SESPT that replaced the SERT when HD said goodbye to Mr. Cole. The SERT software can be found online. It doesn't have the new "autotune" features of the later devices but a good tuner will be able to tune the bike. The trick will be finding that guy.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:54 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
later devices but a good tuner will be able to tune the bike. The trick will be finding that guy.
This is my concern. I don't have anyone off top of head, I am sure I can find threads here, or just go to one of the big dealers. You are adding some labor time on the dyno. I have no doubt it is a better product tuned to my bike, but I also wonder will I notice a huge difference.

I can get a canned map from fuel moto, but they can't tune with a sert.

I am curious about the comment about PV4.

You can probably still find the SERT pf manual on line. I thought it was well written. If I a guy had the paitence could do a lot without dyno.

Last edited by Rounders; 01-01-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:35 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

It would help to know where you lived. I know Bob from Razorback Performance in Whitehall, WI can tune with it and so can Jason (hrdtail78 here) from C&S Speed Shop in East St Louis, IL. Jason is one of the best there is and I trailered my bike 5 hours for him when there are at least 4 options closer to me including FM. He is a TTS Tuner and the SERT is basically an older version of the TTS. Made by the same guy who also played a part in the development of the Delphi ECM you are tuning, btw.
That SERT will run on Windows XP and later OS. Maybe even 98. I know the SEPST does and it's a newer tuner then that SERT. I have a dongle to go from USB to Serial if you want it and I'm quite familiar with these tuners. Still have the software installed on my windows 11 laptop.

Looking back, I could've saved myself the cost of a PV2 and stayed with the SEPST myself as Jason just used the PV2 as a flash device.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-02-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:18 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
The PV1B comes with its own computer, so to speak. $550. The PV4 uses you phone, and is about $150 cheaper. $400
PV1B has auto tuning? And can be dynoed? Where as PV4 is just loaded maps supplied by fuel moto??

Fuel Moto can flash it for $250, and re-flash if needed. When weighing costs, you think for another $150 I can get PV4. But from a tuning perspective is just loading maps? I used to tweak maps, but I think I am just going to go with whatever fuel moto gives me. Both would give me the ability to read codes, and data log, and flash would not. I bought the SERT for that reason, and never used it that way. Just pull codes from dash.

You do have to factor in cost of dyno time. So that PV-1B, is $150 more plus dyno time. Which I am not sure I am going to spend the money. It is an older bike, and when I open it up, I suspect there will be a lot of nickel and diming.

I do get to Appleton on my quite often on my bike. But this build would be done in March or April, which weather is very hit or miss, especially for that long of ride.

I am going to talk to fuel moto, but was curious what people here have experienced.

2007 70k miles, SE AC, fat cat, going to port heads, TW222 cam, I may or may not bore it. Raising compression slightly with .030 head gasket. But keeping it lower compression.

I am rounding off on costs.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-238999...2FFLT%20MODELS

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-206348...2FFLT%20MODELS
The primary difference between the original Power Vision, PV3, and PV4 is how they physically handle tune delivery. The original Power Vision & PV3 include handheld devices that read & send tunes where the PV4 connects to your smartphone using the Dynojet app (requires cell connection) and each of them use the same Dynojet C3 software. Where the products separate are in the "on device" features. At this time the original Power Vision is still the most robust platform, it has a full host of on device tuning tools as well as an enhanced Auto Tune Basic application, and you can use it as a display and log ECM data. PV3 has seen some significant features since it was released, it can be used to display & log data, it features Auto Tune Basic, & and to read/clear codes, there are more features being released in the near future including Auto Tune Pro. PV4 serves customers really well that are looking primarily for a tune delivery device however it still works very well for viewing & logging data, reading codes, etc.. and dyno tuners can use the license from any PV4 equipped bike with their traditional hardware, I will say PV4's cloud based tune sharing is fantastic. As far as dyno tuning there is a major update launching Q1 2024 that will greatly increase proficiency and ease of tuning across the Power Vision line.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following 4 users liked this post by fuelmoto:
BrandonSmith (01-03-2024), Lammy1000 (01-31-2024), Ohio HD (01-03-2024), Rounders (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 02:44 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Also wanted to share where Lucas demonstrates the full process of flashing your bike with PV4 start to finish; super easy >>