Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Magnetti Morelli EFI

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 09:12 AM
Darkhorse1
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Magnetti Morelli EFI

I see a lot of comments about how bad the Magnetti Morelli EFI is but what is it exactly that is so bad about the system?

Old 12-06-2023, 10:09 AM
CVX20
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I picked up an 01 EG Classic with that system last year with 132 k klms on it and it runs great.I really don't see why they would be any different than any other system out there.I had heard that parts were hard to get but apparently they're still in business so I don't know about that.I think a lot of it is that people prefer the simplicity and cost of the old carbs.Sure is nice to start and walk away though.I picked up a 2012 Ultra near the end of the summer and while the 103 has a lot more ***** I can't really say that it runs better.JMHO.

PS I've worked on FI since it got big in cars in the 80's so maybe that why it doesn't concern me as much.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:22 AM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Received 2,350 Likes on 669 Posts

It's not that bad of a system. But it has gained the reputation because of resistance to change back in the day and repetition of that sentiment has become its legend.
One book that discusses the Magnetti Morelli EFI is "Donny's Unauthorized Technical Guide, Volume III: The Evolution: 1984 To 2000", by Donny Petersen.
Peterson gives a fair assessment of the MM EFI. He gives good explanations of the various sensors.

The following 2 users liked this post by Evo-Wes:
CVX20 (12-06-2023), Darkhorse1 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 10:38 AM
CVX20
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo-Wes
It's not that bad of a system. But it has gained the reputation because of resistance to change back in the day and repetition of that sentiment has become its legend.
One book that discusses the Magnetti Morelli EFI is "Donny's Unauthorized Technical Guide, Volume III: The Evolution: 1984 To 2000", by Donny Petersen.
Peterson gives a fair assessment of the MM EFI. He gives good explanations of the various sensors.
Well that's the thing right.The sensors are basically the same on everything that's injected.There are some differences between systems but basically all the same.

Old 12-06-2023, 04:35 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,314 Posts

I have a 98 RKC (fuel injected).

The biggest weakness is the head temp sensor. It's not all that reliable and is prone to failure. I've put several in my bike over 90k+ miles. Other than that, you need to understand the system in order to work on it and tweak it just a little. There actually isn't all that much that's even adjustable. Parts are getting hard to find. The throttle position sensor is absolutely not available. Luckily, it's pretty reliable. An additional complaint is that if you want to hop up your motor, there isn't much you can do with the stock EFI. There used to be larger fuel injectors available that might help to a point but if you want super go-fast, you'll have to convert to a carb.

My bike has the stage 1 upgrade which is just a free flowing air cleaner and less restrictive mufflers. It also has an aftermarket cam (Andrews EV27). The cam is designed to give more torque at lower rpms and makes it so you don't have to downshift as much as with the stock cam. It runs great and for the most part has been a reliable bike. If more new MM EFI bike owners would take the time to llearn and understand their bikes, they wouldn't have nearly as much trouble. Usually, they give up right off the bat and put a carb on it.

carl

The following users liked this post:
CVX20 (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 07:18 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

Road King classic 1998.
EV13 cam, K & N air filter.
Modified slip-on mufflers.
If you ride an older bike then you need to know or want to learn about maintenance.
Not because bike is bad but because few young mechanics will know how to service.

davekp (12-07-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 07:29 AM
Darkhorse1
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Well asked the question because I recently bought a 99 Road King Classic with EFI with only 18k on it but its been sitting for quite some time (only 1880 mies put on it since 2009 and sitting for the last 6). I have had Harleys for years and I currently have a couple muscle cars as well so I'm not afraid of wrenching at all.
Its just this is the first EFI bike I have owned and all I hear is negative comments about the MM system so wondered exactly what is the issues with it?

Old 12-08-2023, 07:48 AM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Received 2,350 Likes on 669 Posts

There are no issues. It is a fuel injection. All sensors need to work properly. If attention needs to be paid to it, a confident/competent technician needs to attend to it. The technician must not just throw up his hands and yell "You need to convert to a carb".

dynoking (12-09-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 07:57 AM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior
Received 2,506 Likes on 798 Posts

I've owned my 2001 Road King since 2008 and besides replacing all the leaking hoses inside and outside the tank, I've had no issues with the fuel system. It runs as well as my newer bikes. Maybe better. I think issues are with tuning if non-stock engine, and repair parts availability. I haven't had either issue, knock on wood.

Last edited by Rob Harper; 12-08-2023 at 07:59 AM. Reason: clarify
CVX20 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 08:16 AM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 210 Likes on 97 Posts

My 2000 FLHT came with M&M. It ran fine but seemed lethargic compared to my carbed bikes. Swapped to carb. Not hard to do.

Quick Reply: Magnetti Morelli EFI