Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:20 PM
RCopeland1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT Question

I know this has already been asked, but, once the SERT is activated, it is married to that ECM, we know that, what I want to know is, surely, some electronics guru has found away around this, and can get it to work on another bike, I sold my Dyna, w/o the SERT, so now I just have a $450 paper weight. I just purchased a bone stock 03 Softail with EFI and would love to reuse my SERT to do some tuning after i upgrade a few things, anyone here that can steer me in the right direction? I know someone has found a work around, hell, if a 17 year old kid from New Jersey can get a new I-phone to work with T-mobile, there has to be someone who can fix a SERT!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:01 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SERT Question

I would contact the person who bought your bike and try and sell the SERT to them at say 70% of cost and put the money towards a new SERT for your bike. Its easier and legal.

To be honest I would have included the SERT in the sale in the first place, but thats just me I guess.

Just MHO.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 AM
RCopeland1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I didnt really sell the bike, I traded it in on a Jeep at a car dealer, and to tell you the truth, I was not about to just give them the SERT along with the bike, I offered it at a reduced price, to which they were not interested, so I still have it, and I dont recall reading anywhere that it is illegal to modify one of these, this is justa Harley thing to get in peoples' pockets a little more, everyone knows what these cost, and I dont feel I should have to go buy a new one with every bikeI buy, its a rip off. Can you use a PCIII on different bikes? I think you can, so whats the problem? I guess I'll just have to get a PC, although I did like the SERT, HD has enough of our money.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:16 PM
hAkron
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCopeland1

Well, I didnt really sell the bike, I traded it in on a Jeep at a car dealer, and to tell you the truth, I was not about to just give them the SERT along with the bike, I offered it at a reduced price, to which they were not interested, so I still have it, and I dont recall reading anywhere that it is illegal to modify one of these, this is justa Harley thing to get in peoples' pockets a little more, everyone knows what these cost, and I dont feel I should have to go buy a new one with every bikeI buy, its a rip off. Can you use a PCIII on different bikes? I think you can, so whats the problem? I guess I'll just have to get a PC, although I did like the SERT, HD has enough of our money.
Agreed, it's about $0.50 worth of chips and DB-9 Connectors...in fact the most expensive thing in the whole box is probably the eprom that restricts you from using it on other bikes. 90% of what you're paying for when you buy the SERT is the development time for the software and MAP files which they divide up across the % of bike owners who will purchase a SERT. What they are trying to avoid is not so much you as an individual using the same SERT on multiple bikes you own, but more likely they are trying to avoid dealers/independents/etc who would buy a single SERT and use it on lots and lots of bikes. If they didn't have to worry about that then they would just put the logic of the SERT right on the bike itself and you could skip the black box and connect your serial cable right to the port on the side of your bike.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley is only one of many companies that produce softaware and interfaces forvarious vehicleperformance. Most or all "marry" themselve to the ecm of that specific vehicle.