Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

rpm issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 10:16 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I could very well be wrong , but I could have sworn I saw my friend do some sort of " reset " when he changed his . I have no experience with the iac , never had a bike with one , but I did a search and I thought I read a procedure that needed to be followed .

Correct me if I'm wrong , my apologies if I am .

https://www.bing.com/search?q=harley...&ghacc=0&ghpl=

Old 10-26-2023, 10:25 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
I could very well be wrong , but I could have sworn I saw my friend do some sort of " reset " when he changed his . I have no experience with the iac , never had a bike with one , but I did a search and I thought I read a procedure that needed to be followed .

Correct me if I'm wrong , my apologies if I am .

https://www.bing.com/search?q=harley...&ghacc=0&ghpl=

Interesting but if you click on the link you get to here.

https://www.thunder-max.com/techdocs/IAC-HowToCheck.pdf

It's mainly done for IAC testing on a Tmax to show that the IAC is functioning properly and is not really required.

Old 10-26-2023, 10:29 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Ah , then that makes things much easier for the op . Hopefully it's a simple solution.

Old 10-26-2023, 10:44 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I'll add, this section appears to be partly the Tmax TPS cal plus the Tmax testing.. It is more important on Tmax because feuing/timing is TPS based and is required after the battery has been disconnected for some time..

Some of it doesn't make sense.. The underlined section. Following the processes. Isn't the bike already running?

For Tmax the on / off times are 20 seconds IIRC.

The following users liked this post:
MyFavRk (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 11:06 AM
wallacegraves
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Paul is right about dumping codes through the speedo.... All you'll get is speedo codes. There are ways to dump code but if the enging light does not come on a second time at key / run trun on, there isn't any codes in the ECM.

The issues to look at are the speed sensor and manifold leaks since you've replaced the IAC. IMO fuel pressure is not an issue.. I would guess that bad fuel is a possibility tho.
Max, thank you for this information. This is been going on for sometime, and at one point, at about a quarter of a tank, I filled the tank with Chevron supreme in the hopes that it was in fact, the fuel. We replaced the heat sensor and the bike ran great for about a month and then it went bad again. We again replaced the heat sensor and it ran fine for about a month and went bad a second time. As a result, I do not believe it’s the fuel.
You mentioned a speed sensor; since I am not familiar with that term perhaps you could enlighten me.
Thank you
wally

Old 10-26-2023, 11:14 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by wallacegraves
Max, thank you for this information. This is been going on for sometime, and at one point, at about a quarter of a tank, I filled the tank with Chevron supreme in the hopes that it was in fact, the fuel. We replaced the heat sensor and the bike ran great for about a month and then it went bad again. We again replaced the heat sensor and it ran fine for about a month and went bad a second time. As a result, I do not believe it’s the fuel.
You mentioned a speed sensor; since I am not familiar with that term perhaps you could enlighten me.
Thank you
wally
The one that is the top of the tranny. It sends vehicle speed to the speedo. The speedo sends pulses to the ECM on the 03s. Pull it out and clean it. See if it helps.

If replacing the temp sensor seemed to help, maybe a broken wire in the harness? Pull the connector off and give it a gentle pull. If the wire feels stretchy, it's likely broken inside.

Again, Manifold leaks.

Old 10-26-2023, 01:09 PM
wallacegraves
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The one that is the top of the tranny. It sends vehicle speed to the speedo. The speedo sends pulses to the ECM on the 03s. Pull it out and clean it. See if it helps.

If replacing the temp sensor seemed to help, maybe a broken wire in the harness? Pull the connector off and give it a gentle pull. If the wire feels stretchy, it's likely broken inside.

Again, Manifold leaks.

Thanks Max, I will let you know how this works out.
Wally

Old 10-26-2023, 01:10 PM
wallacegraves
4th Gear

Thanks My Fav RK, I will check it out .
Wally