Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Gauge or ODO Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 11:19 AM
aRedGoneBlue
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Gauge or ODO Issue?

I recently noticed my fuel gauge and light coming on at strange times over the last month or so on my 2008 FXDB/I
First, the light on my ODO would come on at about 79-80mi, then it started at 50-60mi, and now comes on at 30-35mi into a full tank.
I never trust the gauge or the fuel light and always go by my trip A log to monitor my fuel.. but the indicator and gauge are now acting very erratic and it's becoming a nuisance.
I have also noticed that my odometer never stays at the same display I leave it on from my prior ride (ex. If I have it displaying the time or trip A log when I shut the bike off, it reverts to the ODO mi reading display when I start the bike back up)

My PowerVision is giving me the following feedback (not sure why it won't display actual DTC codes):
Speedometer:B1005 CUR HIST
Fuel Level Sending Unit
High/Open Instruments

Not sure where to begin diagnosing this.. Is it as simple as just replacing the fuel gauge? There is no reason to expect my float to be obstructed.
I have little reason to think it's my odometer, but FYI I have an aftermarket HD Combination Digital Speedometer/Analog Tachometer Part Number: 70900274 - It has worked well for me for over a year now.

Any help/guidance would be hugely appreciated! Thnx!

Old 10-20-2023, 09:38 AM
aRedGoneBlue
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

I reached into the tank and manually lifted the fuel send float which produced a seemingly proportionate response by the fuel gauge (dial rose, dial fell). I'm not sure if this can rule out failure in either component, but if anyone has any ideas or electrical diagnostic process that I can run it would be greatly appreciated.

I've cleared these DTCs to confirm they are recurring. My check engine light is not on as a result of this and the bike runs just fine.