Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition Coil Upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 06:59 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,463 Likes on 3,641 Posts

@marcodarq My goal here is to just have a fast bike, that's all.. I like speed, I like quarter mileing and I love performance...

So, for starters my Evo dynoed at 115/110 and this bike definitely outperforms that one. I never got a chance to get it on a dyno cuz a guy who was supposed to do that for me keeps dicking me around so I said **** it I don't need no piece of paper...

I do believe I'm in the 120/120+ area.. According to the test hits that I've done on draggy the bike does 11.37 at 116 miles an hour in the 1/4.. Which is a pretty good number and the better I get at coming off the line those numbers will only improve. The bike really gets up and goes.. It'll pull the wheel off the ground grabbing third gear depending on what RPM I hit it at.. The rear tire is one of those Shinko drag radials and hooks up very well.. I have to be careful coming off the line so the front end don't come too high off the ground.. I have two areas where I can do test hits safely on a four-lane highway.. Sometimes there's no traffic at all and that's the only time I will do any type of test hit on the bike.. length is just over 1 mile and straight..

The reason I want to go to a two in one is because once I get up to 126 miles an hour it just doesn't seem to want to go anymore.. It's not that I'm out of gear or nothing, I just don't think I'm clearing my exhaust enough for the load at that speed.. Hell I had my 97" Evo Fatboy up to 137 mph before so I know the Dyna will or should surprise that.. So I'm going to put this pipe on and I'm also going to put in some 18 mm bungs to monitor my AFR:s and see what I can do.. Just trying to improve on my times and I would like to get down into the 10-second bracket..

With my current timing tables I hardly get any knock retard at all..

As for the suspension and high speed, I did change the springs to firmer springs (front and rear) for better stabilization at speed. I got a very slight wobble at around 105 but can power through it without any problem at all and once I lay down on the tank it never wobbles at all.... Someday I'm hoping they open that 1/8th mile track to motorcycles that they just opened here in Long Island, but right now the town of Riverhead is not allowing bikes, Only cars..

I might even lower the front end an inch to see how that helps with stabilization at speed..

So that's my goals all personal and it's what I enjoy...

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 10-27-2023 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:28 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
double post
I can't say if the pipe will help. I think it will hurt your low end. If what marcodarq says is the case, it won't help top end either.
I ran the stock pipes and Rush slip ons most of the summer on my 127/126 107 build. I didn't dyno tune them but they never felt like they were lacking anywhere. But I never tried to push top speed.either. It's not what I do.
That said, I fully expected them to take a hit in top end hp compared to the Pro Streets I run but not that much. The hooker I can't say.

I was running the 2" baffle in the Rush cans and our cams, while identical in the intake events, do differ in the exhaust events and LSA. Our TBs differ too. And while I don't have any analytical data to support it, I'm a believer in the max flow when it comes to mid and top end hp.
My max timing is 29° if memory serves. On one cylinder, around 5000rpm 95-100 kPa.
I disabled knock detection. Too much false knock and timing pulled with the PV and I trust my tune. It pulls it where/when it's necessary based on head temp, IAT, etc. and I've never had an issue with detonation even on a 100+° days.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 10-27-2023 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:54 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

OK, I think I've got a better idea of the goals now.
That being said, to me, you are looking for what i call "Quickness" over top speed. To me, drag racers want/need quickness because the race is only a1/4 mile, speed is a top mph thing. takes more than a 1/4 to get to a top speed of , say 160.
All that being said, a 2-1 pipe is not a bad idea. I think that if you choose a good one, it will help. I just know from the years of my own personal experience that the Hooker is NOT the one. I'd think about the D&D fst Cat or the Super Trap Super Meg. I've owned both and have lots of experience on multiple builds, mine and customers and endless hours of dyno time with them. There are probably others out there as well, but I KNOW that these 2 actually do work. Like everything else, the over all recipie and goal statement will dictate a lot here.
You might think about going to a 30 Tooth front belt sprocket and re-thinking your primary drive ratio as well.
Bring yourself and the bike down here and we'll check it out on the dyno together.
m

The following 2 users liked this post by marcodarq:
98hotrodfatboy (10-27-2023), Max Headflow (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 10:41 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by marcodarq
That being said, to me, you are looking for what i call "Quickness" over top speed. To me, drag racers want/need quickness because the race is only a1/4 mile, speed is a top mph thing. takes more than a 1/4 to get to a top speed of , say 160.
All that being said, a 2-1 pipe is not a bad idea. I think that if you choose a good one, it will help. I just know from the years of my own personal experience that the Hooker is NOT the one. I'd think about the D&D fst Cat or the Super Trap Super Meg. I've owned both and have lots of experience on multiple builds, mine and customers and endless hours of dyno time with them. There are probably others out there as well, but I KNOW that these 2 actually do work. Like everything else, the over all recipie and goal statement will dictate a lot here.
You might think about going to a 30 Tooth front belt sprocket and re-thinking your primary drive ratio as well.
Bring yourself and the bike down here and we'll check it out on the dyno together.
m
I'm all about ^this^...quick.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:37 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by marcodarq
m
@marcodarq
Without a doubt it is about quickness and I'm really not about top end speed and I'd love to bring my bike down to Florida and believe it or not I'm going to be retiring pretty soon and that day's going to come we're going to set this thing up on your dyno and we're going to have some fun... I'm really looking forward to that Thank you... Just need a little time ... Keep in mind I don't think the head pipe is going to slow me any, at 1 3/4" primary's itkeeps up the velocity of the exhaust which actually helps with reversion. With the muffler there might be a little bit there to redesign, I don't know yet but we'll see.. everything in life is trial and error and If you don't try you won't know...

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 10-27-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:42 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
I'm all about ^this^...quick.
Without a doubt but I'm also about to end and I will succeed if both . If my Evo can do it so will my TC Dyna...

Old 10-27-2023, 01:49 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

OK, what i've found to be the deal with the Hooker header, the issues are in the muffler for sure. This pipe has the baffle in it htat you can loosen a couple of allen head bolts and rotate the baffle. one side is labled as torque the other as HP. it really opening and closing a "window" at the front of the baffle, where is mates up in the collector. Back in the day i couldn't get enough flow on the Evo 113's, so I even resorted to cutting off the front of the baffle in order to have the maximum size hole at the front of the baffle, hoping for maximum flow. i did it and it helped, but not like i'd hoped for.
I'm running one of these on my Deperado Smuggler with a TP 113 in it. just barley making 99 hp, and i know this engine is good for 115 or so. i might take it off and play some more games with it later if i ever get any free time, i almost want to redesign what's in the muffler sleave and make it something more conventional, will probably need some cutting in the collector as well,,,,,till then.
m

Old 10-27-2023, 07:47 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I got the pipe today and I got it on.. It's going to need a couple tweaks but it'll work.. It's made for a Softail but it actually fits my Dyna.. I took it for a ride and it's quite loud, a cracking sound with that short muffler.. I put it on the horsepower notch on that tunable baffle.. If I decide to keep using it I'm going to have to put some old two buns in it and I'll need to remove the lower engine to head pipe mount bracket... Hooking up the muffler to the diner bracket won't be an issue at all I just need to make a block with opposing holes in it so I can mount it into the original rear bracket.. I like it... Has a little popping on D cell but nothing that bad... It seems to idle the same and it definitely accelerates very well I think these breathe better than the louvered rush mufflers... The other thing I noticed, I did two hits.. I took it for about a 15 minute ride and my engine temp was only up to 214 and I mean I laid into twice it up to 110 mph.. Is it possible that it is breathing better with a two-in-one and it will actually help with my engine temps to keep them lower? This might prompt me to get the proper exhaust, two in one for this bike.. My butt says it might feel a little more aggressive but it's really hard to tell because it made good power to begin with.. Well see..

Old 10-28-2023, 07:06 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Well I had the pipe on last night and I marked out O2 sensor bungs so I'll be able to put my Wego III on there once I get the bungs welded in.. Then I'll be able to see exactly what the motor's doing...

I forgot to mention, the first time I really cracked it open I couldn't believe how loud it's was.. Louder then the D&D on my Evo..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 10-28-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:35 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

I really don't think it's the exhaust holding back your top end.

Originally Posted by CoMatt
Just wanted to share this because we were so please with it. It’s my dads bike that he’s had since new only had 5500 miles when we rebuilt it this year.
bike has TMan 107 pro touring kit with 625 cam, HPi 55 throttle body, stock injectors, fueling oe+ cam plate and pump, auto compression releases, Arlen ness velocity 65 air cleaner, and stock head pipe with RC slip ons. We had a blast putting it all together

Last edited by 60Gunner; 10-30-2023 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Ignition Coil Upgrade...