Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ran out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 02:29 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I will be checking the fuses and relay if it has one.
As I have described previously, the fuel pump does not seem to be priming/recycling.
Since it is an older bike, I will be ordering a fuel filter, fuel filter housing, fuel regulator, fuel pump, checking hoses.

My bike has a Powervision tuner, but it is not showing any codes. Would a blown fuse or a bad or clogged fuel pump generate a code?

Old 09-04-2023, 02:37 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Not sure how the fuel pump can eat trash sitting at the bottom of the tank by running out of gas. The trash is floating on top of the fuel? The pickup has a sock on it..

I'd suspect that if you ran the pump a bunch trying to start the bike without fuel that the pump might be damaged.

I'd guess it's possible confuse the ECM in some manner. Might want to pull the ecm fuse for about a minute or 2 then reinsert and try to start.

The following users liked this post:
HarleyHappy (09-10-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 02:47 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,001 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmartine
Well, this morning, in the wee hours, I had a Trump-like moment of genius, and remembered that the tank has almost four gallons of gas. How can that be? Well, I have to admit that when the bike shut down, I just assumed it had ran out of gas (yeah, I know what that does) and only put in about half a gallon. not realizing it had plenty of gas. I also have to admit that I never look at the gas gauge. That means that it never ran out of gas, and the gas is definitely not the issue. I now firmly believe the culprit is the fuel pump because of it not priming.

Before tearing into the tank, I would make sure you are getting 12.7 volts to the tank plug when you key on. Check across the black to the O/GY color wires . Could be the 15 AMP fuse,

Remember, only going to see that at a key off to key for only maybe 2 seconds.

Now if it's doing what you said still in post 1, maybe filter but a pressure test at idle would be good (55-62). Requires a special hook up here however.

Still could be electrical. When were plugs and air filter changed. Original fuel filter?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-04-2023 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:16 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmartine
I will be checking the fuses and relay if it has one.
As I have described previously, the fuel pump does not seem to be priming/recycling.
Since it is an older bike, I will be ordering a fuel filter, fuel filter housing, fuel regulator, fuel pump, checking hoses.
e?
Myself I would probably at some point replace everything. But first I would look at the electrical before you add variables. I'd probably verify it is getting power. getting power.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:12 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Start at the beginning and check your battery connections.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:41 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

Since I can hear at least a single click coming from the fuel pump, I believe it is at least getting some power, otherwise, I believe it would not make a sound, but yes, I will be checking the electric components.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:45 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Unhappy

I just removed the fuse for the fuel pump and tested it with a muti-meter, and it showed continuity. The bridge inside the fuse is intact, however, when I put the fuse in place, and I use a test light, on either end, there is no power going to it (with ignition switch on).

I also tested the "system" relay. The Ohms between blades 86 and 85 came out at 77, which indicates it is okay. According to instructions I found on YouTube, 85 and 86 are normally closed, and when 12 volt power is applied to 85 (positive), a click should tell you that the relay is good. In my case, there was no click. This most likely indicates that the system relay is bad, which may be why it is not sending a current to the fuel pump fuse. 87 and 30 are normally open, so I don't know if there is a test for those. Now, I no longer hear any sounds from the fuel pump priming.

Last edited by cgmartine; 09-05-2023 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 02:04 AM
cgmartine
Road Master
Red face

Additional: I was mistaken. 85 is the negative and 86 is the positive. When I apply power to 86 from a 9 volt battery, I can hear the relay clicking, which tells me that the relay is good. The problem remains that the slot for the fuel pump fuse is not getting any power.

Old 09-06-2023, 10:48 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I am admittedly and willfully ignorant about fuel infected bikes but #30 on any relay is the power feed "in" so it should be energized anytime the ignition is on and 87 is "out" voltage, normally open. On a 5 pin relay, it's the same except 87a is normally closed. 85 / 86 are the control posts negative and positive respectively.

Last edited by t150vej; 09-06-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:08 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,842 Posts

I'd look at on line parts diagram and see if this relay is interchangeable with the one for lights.

Fuel pump needs to get power.

Quick Reply: Ran out of gas