Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starts, Idles, Shuts Off, Then Will Not Restart

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 11:52 AM
steelgoat
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Starts, Idles, Shuts Off, Then Will Not Restart

Hello,
Brand new here. not sure if this is where this goes or if I'm doing it right. 2006 1200 Custom. Intermediate issue. Bike starts fine, but sometimes while idling to warm up it just shuts off and will not restart till it seems like when it's ready to. First time thought it was a venting problem with fuel, someone noticed vent line was compromised and I opened gas cap and it fired up. the next time it wouldn't start that didn't make a difference. While cranking checked spark and fuel delivery both are good. Ignition switch was acting up for a while because of weak contacts, finally quit and replaced, then battery was replaced.(6 cold cranking amps when tested. Then right after all that the start, idle, die, no start thing started. I'm stumped and thought I'd reach out for some help before I start throwing money at it. Thank You all for being here.
Paul

Old 08-14-2023, 07:16 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Probably a good idea to introduce yourself in the new member forum.

If you want a serious response or responses to your question I would recommend having at least 10 posts prior to asking a question. That shows other members that you are serious and want to be a part of the forum before they put an effort into answering and not just throwing pasta at the wall. Too many 1 and done members come and go and after several members respond to the initial question, they never hear a response back from the OP.

You may be better served on searching the forum and trying to see if other members have the same issue. Then participate in discussion.

My 2 cents

Ride safe!

The following 2 users liked this post by nutsandbolts5212:
dynoking (08-14-2023), Jackie Paper (08-15-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 10:31 AM
Highclasshobo
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Further info needed. When it won't restart does it have power to everything else but just won't turn over? Or is it completely dead?

Old 08-14-2023, 08:23 PM
steelgoat
2nd Gear

Power to everything, cranks but will not start, then eventually starts when it wants. Really no rhyme or reason. Rode it to work today and home no problem. It's getting gas and has spark. It's almost acting like when the vacuum line was off the petcock. Thinking something with the electronic ignition module or turn signal/ bank module. I have always rode older bikes. This one was given to me by my Father-in-law before he passed. It's my daily rider.

Last edited by steelgoat; 08-14-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:43 PM
Highclasshobo
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

2006 Sportster is carbureted I believe so in and of itself that is suspect. May need a good cleaning. Pin holes in the fuel line are pretty common in older Harleys. Causes the bike to lose fuel pressure and die. If it were me since everything else has power I'd start with checking the air intake for leaks, then fuel delivery (fuel pump, hose line, carburetor, fuel filter and if all that checks out then move to spark, plugs, ignition coil. It might be something simple. There are a million threads with a vast amount of information on here. This place has saved many many people's asses. Unfortunately only you can start the process of elimination. Start with the simple stuff first. My knee jerk reaction is fuel delivery... Good luck!

Old 08-14-2023, 09:24 PM
steelgoat
2nd Gear

Thank You so much. I was hoping some else had the same problem. Yes, it's carbureted, recently installed new carb and gaskets, did not replace fuel lines. Pulled and cleaned fuel filter. Some things You suggested I've already done others I will do. Thanks again for getting back to me and giving me some guidelines.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:12 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,001 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Do a hand held vacuum check on your vacuum petcock. Your late model has a dual safety designed diaphragm. (I think)

Harbor Freight hand vacuum pump. Useful also for changing out brake fluid so you don't mess up old master cylinders manually levering them.

That diaphragm can fail slowly . Unlike the old, when they failed, they would pull fuel thru vacuum hose. Yours should be rebuildable and really should be retained.

Sure by now your aware carburetor needle seats can leak and still function if not too bad but if you forget to cut fuel off, can flood and dump fuel out. Sure don't need a puddle of fuel around that old girl.

PS.. you say I think stage 4. (IV) Guess that means a tuner with a carburetor??? Is it an aftermarket piggy back system?

And Welcome for sure. Caught you over there too at welcome area with a suggestion on the Forum. Good way to start on this Forum

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-15-2023 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:20 AM
HD_noobie
Road Master
Received 555 Likes on 293 Posts

When it wont start use some starting fluid in the intake, if it fires up then you know its a fuel issue.
Get it pinned down to either spark or fuel.

The following users liked this post:
Jackie Paper (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 07:28 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

stock ignition? hd had issues with the pickup sensor. how did you check for spark? best way is with an inline spark tester as the plug can fire out of the cyl but not in.
could be an issue with the vac line to the petcock
the restart occurs after a ignition recycle? if you have an ultima ignition, that is a sign of over current which could be the module itself or something with the coil.

Old 08-17-2023, 10:24 PM
steelgoat
2nd Gear

Checked for spark with a allen wrench in the plug wire held by the jug and seen spark jump across the air gap, This was done in the parking lot at work with access to limited tools.

Quick Reply: Starts, Idles, Shuts Off, Then Will Not Restart