Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine stalls when battery is disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 04:07 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Now you did it....

The nuisance will be here soon to dispute that with his own facts...
If ya put him on ignore like I did, you dont get to see the absolute STUPIDITY of this vermin!
You even might think that humanity doesn't have these phoocking idiots in the world..........such a nice thought huh?

The following users liked this post:
Dan89FLSTC (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 08:43 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 926 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
hd uses a PMG
it is not an alternator since it has no field forcing capabilities. the only hd that had an alternator was the shovel and only a couple of years.
a PMG is fixed and output is in direct relation to rpm. that is why the engine stalled but if you look at the schematic you will find it is tied in before the battery and technically the engine does run off the PMG with the battery making up the short fall. on the PMG unlike the alternator, spikes are more reserved since it cannot go full on, the alternator will go full on since the regulator sees no feed back as to voltage level.
but there is one thing to consider with electronics as voltage goes down, amperage goes up so there is a possibility of damage.
do not rule out a bad connection or a bad contact in the starter solenoid and or relay.
jumping with a car battery and same issue points in a diff direction.

Voltage and amperage are proportional. Voltage goes up, so does amperage. Ohms law.

I think you may be thinking about 3 phase electrical systems where a load at 208vac will draw more amperage than the same load ran at 480vac.

Old 08-13-2023, 07:41 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

A 150,000-Volt transmission line carries current to a city.

150,000 volts was chosen as an efficient level to carry the power required by the community. A lower voltage would require a higher current in the transmission circuit, which means the cable that carries the current would be thicker, because the lower voltage must still meet the power requirements of the city. There is a limit to cable size due to weight and expense and other factors. A cable 1 foot in diameter is not practical.

We fall back to our equation. Power (watts) = Volts x Amps.

If we increase voltage, the current drops to meet the same power requirement.

At a substation, we raise or lower the voltage with transformers to meet the voltage and current requirements of the transmission or distribution line and the end user of the current.

With these two examples we can see how the power needs of a single device don’t change, but that power delivered in a combination of volts and amps can change significantly while still delivering the same amount of power. Raise the voltage, the current need drops. Lower the voltage and the current need increases.

If we got 20 people (our force) to push and pull the pallet (high volume) of bricks, we would get a lot of work done. Or a someone not very strong (less force) could push a single brick (low volume) and not do a lot of work. We don’t need a lot of power to move a brick, but we do need a lot of power to move a whole pallet of bricks.

The same is true with electricity.

Old 08-13-2023, 07:57 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

why do you not think that the PMG does not increase power as rpm increases?
the VR determines current via voltage level
the above is a o"scope of my sport. there is one important value the battery does and that is it acts as a huge capacitor which absorbs spikes and ac ripple.
the older mechanical regulators had to have both current and voltage coils and they were checks and balances on each other, why?? remember, the communtator changed the ac to a dc, yes, the generator was an ac machine and the brushes degree'd to swap polarity. some of that current was shuttled to ground but on semi-conductor VR, it just stops the current all together.
that dip is caused because of the hand-off of the magnetic flux. also remember, the average of a sine wave is zero.

Last edited by bustert; 08-13-2023 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:24 PM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 458 Likes on 304 Posts

Coming back to the OP's problem, if a car battery, even a mediocre car battery struggles to start your bike, then I suggest getting a look at your battery cable connections to the starter and the frame. Once they're good, and if a new bike battery won't easily make it turn over, then have a look at your starter solenoid and ultimately the starter motor itself. The service manual should lay out the troubleshooting for those components. Best of luck getting it fixed.

propflux01 (08-17-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 04:01 PM
SofttailBob
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Since 1968
Coming back to the OP's problem, if a car battery, even a mediocre car battery struggles to start your bike, then I suggest getting a look at your battery cable connections to the starter and the frame. Once they're good, and if a new bike battery won't easily make it turn over, then have a look at your starter solenoid and ultimately the starter motor itself. The service manual should lay out the troubleshooting for those components. Best of luck getting it fixed.
I'm still here! I looked through the service manual, and that is what prompted me to post the question. I was hoping there was a "known, standard" problem that I could look at first, before working my way through the steps Since_1968 mentioned. Hopefully a new battery will solve the problem. I didn't get one yet, too much other stuff going on in my life.

Any recommendations for the battery? The one I took out is a Power Source Lightning Start Battery WPX20L-LS 01-352P, which I put in back in 2015.

Last edited by SofttailBob; 08-13-2023 at 04:09 PM. Reason: I put Since_1986 instead of Since_1968
Old 08-13-2023, 05:52 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

O'Reilly's batteries are as good as anyone else's.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:14 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

deka makes the hd battery and is a tad lower in cost
but
out of all the brands i have tried, the hd lasted the longest so cost per month/year/whatever was nearly the same.

TwiZted Biker (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 01:06 PM
propflux01
Road Master
Veteran: Air Force
Received 274 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by SofttailBob
I'm still here! I looked through the service manual, and that is what prompted me to post the question. I was hoping there was a "known, standard" problem that I could look at first, before working my way through the steps Since_1968 mentioned. Hopefully a new battery will solve the problem. I didn't get one yet, too much other stuff going on in my life.

Any recommendations for the battery? The one I took out is a Power Source Lightning Start Battery WPX20L-LS 01-352P, which I put in back in 2015.
A new battery will not necessarily solve the issue. As @since1968 pointed out, if a car battery isn’t helping much, there are other issues. As he stated, start with the main positive and negative battery cables. Remove them, don’t just look at them. Clean, reinstall, tighten. Replace them if you see ANY green on the copper or bad connections. Then replace the battery, which,, at 8 years old, needs to go anyhow. I would recommend Deka (often branded as Duracell) or HD dealer battery. If after all that, it still acts up, troubleshoot starter assy itself and fuses/connections for corrosion, etc. Please let us know what you find.

Old 08-17-2023, 02:13 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,420 Likes on 5,019 Posts

Originally Posted by propflux01
A new battery will not necessarily solve the issue.
Troubleshooting using an 8 year old battery is an absolute waste of time.

Buy a new battery.

Let us know if the symptom persists.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
OldEnuf2NoBtr (09-14-2024), paulmedford (09-15-2024), TwiZted Biker (08-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Engine stalls when battery is disconnected