Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What a pain in the butt

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 07:12 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts
Default What a pain in the butt

07 FLHT 103 Big Bore Kit, No ACR's, SEPST Tuner. Ran a SE204 for years. Got tired of the hot start issues, and the engine shaking like a paint shaker, not to mention intake noise. Fellow member gave me a set of stock cams for an 07 and a set of 103HO cams out of a Rushmore.

I figured, let's go with the Rushmore. They were stock for 2014-2016, probably be a little better than the stock 2013 and down cams. So I installed them last weekend. There was no map for these cams for my 07 because they came out in 2014. I had a look at the maps listed for my 07 with a 103 Kit, I found there was a map for SE255's. The timing and duration was exactly the same as the Rushmore cams, only not as much lift. So I put them in about 2 weeks ago and did about a 1000 miles, multiple smart tunes and "My Tunes".

They ran ok, but I was having hot start issues. Finally dawned on me, SE255's are notorious for hot start issues in 103's without ACR's. The Rushmore Cams have the identical timing and duration as the Rushmore's, just more lift.. Went on a Hog ride yesterday. Stopped for gas after about 100 miles. Bike wouldn't start, just crank slowly (yes I had my battery load tested). Didn't want to kill the battery so just waited for a bit. Started it and told the guys I was cutting my ride short. Drove straight home I said I'm tired of this BS, I'm putting the stock cams in. I removed seat, drained and removed fuel tank, and removed exhaust in preparation for today.

So today I installed the stock cams and loaded Map 176QA005 which is for a 2007 Touring with a Stage 1 and 103. Bike started up fine. Went for a Smart Tune run. At exactly 3500rpm it felt like a cyl had dropped out, kicked back in at 4000rpm, but same thing at 5000rpm, bike would not rev any higher than that and felt like a cyl had dropped out. its not intermittent, it does it exactly over and over. I had to check what my Rev Limiter was set at when I got home, 6200rpm. EITMS is off as well.

Got home, had a look at the Smart Tune map. VE Tables were not too bad, Saved the changes then ran them through My Tune, saved those changes as well. Bike seemed hotter than normal as well. Haven't taken it back out again, will try tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Here's the thing, running a Smart Tune session only make recommendations for changes to the VE tables, but I'm under the impression it does nothing for the Spark Advance Tables, your stuck with the ones that came with the map, Is this correct?

Anyway I ran my Spark Advance Tables through My Tune for "Knock Removal". The Spark Advance Table for the rear cyl was lit up like a Christmas tree. So since the values were not the result of the Smart Tune run, I'm guessing it was just adjusting the stock numbers. I didn't look at the values, I know My Tune will recommend adjustments for as little as .5, and color the cell turqouise, so maybe it wasn't as bad as it looked

Supposed to rain like a son of a gun tomorrow. If I get a chance, I'll try it now that I've e done one Smart Tune session and see if there is any difference. Then I'll try to do a few more if I can..

At the moment, I'm fed up, I've changed cams twice is two weeks. I know it's the correct map. I don't think the cams are out of time, I was **** about keeping an eye on the dots when assembling. We'll see if Smart Tuning will help, but as I said the VE Tables were pretty close. I think it's a timing issue, but why? It's the correct map for my setup.

I should have left it the way it was. Any way, irritated, frustrated, P*ssed off. Having a few beverages to change my frame of mind.

Never used adjustable pushrods, didn't mind doing it the hard way. So 6 cam changes in my life, 2 in the last two weeks. If I have to go back in for a 3rd time, bolt cutters are coming out.

Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by roussfam:
M Oclaf (08-06-2023), nomoreyellowfootprints (08-17-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 07:22 PM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,803 Likes on 2,678 Posts

Patience, you seem to know what you’re doing…just too much too fast. Have a cold one, let it go, get back at it later. You will get it.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:11 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Raining like a SOB today and tomorrow. So parked for now. On a side note...Ronnie's says the part numbers for OE cams for all Twin Cam engines for 07 are....24608-07A and 25590-07A...I've checked different models.

Ebay says this as well, plus they say they fit all Twin Cam years., but Ebay also says that 25617-07A and 25589-07A fit all Twin Cam years. But the cams I installed have a third different part number....25589-07A and 256170-07A....which Ebay says fits all Twin Cam years. So that's three different part numbers.

Dealer is closed today, it's a holiday in Canada. I'll call tomorrow and see if these three sets of part numbers are all same, if they've been just superseded. Usually when that happens they just change the suffix, -07A to -07B etc. I tried finding the 25589-07A and 256170-07A cams on Ronnies, they don't show up for anything. Grasping at straws, thought I might have the wrong map/cams for my bike. We'll see tomorrow.

Jim

Old 08-07-2023, 11:33 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,879 Likes on 11,605 Posts

FWIW, I had the SE255 cams in my ‘12 TriGlide. Also, Vance & Hines full exhaust, and open AC. Tuned with SE Pro Race Tuner.

They accomplished what I wanted. Gave the heavy assed TG a lot more low end grunt. Mild lope, and no starting issues. But, they made it run hotter, so I installed wards fans and fan Jagg 10 row oil cooler. Also, made it more sensitive to gas quality. Definitely needed 91 octane or better. Dealer did the install, and put in adjustable push rods, They wanted $500 more to not cuts the rods. Never had an issue.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:25 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
FWIW, I had the SE255 cams in my ‘12 TriGlide. Also, Vance & Hines full exhaust, and open AC. Tuned with SE Pro Race Tuner.

They accomplished what I wanted. Gave the heavy assed TG a lot more low end grunt. Mild lope, and no starting issues. But, they made it run hotter, so I installed wards fans and fan Jagg 10 row oil cooler. Also, made it more sensitive to gas quality. Definitely needed 91 octane or better. Dealer did the install, and put in adjustable push rods, They wanted $500 more to not cuts the rods. Never had an issue.
No ACR's on my 07

Old 08-10-2023, 06:51 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, I'm off for the weekend. Pulled the cam chest cover after supper. Looks like front cam is off one tooth. We got 3" of rain today, weekend looks like a bust so I guess I'm going to go ahead and pulled the rockers etc. Dealer want's a little over $400 tax in for adjustables. Might as well save my money, it's not like I can ride anyway.

I guess this should have been posted under "Engine Mechanical Topics". I thought it was a timing issue (I guess it sort of was, lol) so I posted here. Maybe the Mods can move it? Might help someone with the same symptoms in the future.

To be continued....

Jim

Old 08-11-2023, 08:36 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Not to judge you but you should've just put in manual compression releases when you did the BB kit. The stock 103 even with the **** poor stock cams needed them enough to come stock with ACRs.
The increased compression with the 204s is a good thing and make them necessary.
You will definitely feel the hit in power. The 204s are probably one of the very few SE cams worth a ****.

​​​​​​

Old 08-17-2023, 06:55 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Just an update, front cam was out one tooth, runs fine but annoying tick. Continued in the engine section "scissored crank question"

Jim

Last edited by roussfam; 08-17-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:48 PM
nomoreyellowfootprints
Cruiser
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 401 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Camshaft determination

Originally Posted by roussfam
Raining like a SOB today and tomorrow. So parked for now. On a side note...Ronnie's says the part numbers for OE cams for all Twin Cam engines for 07 are....24608-07A and 25590-07A...I've checked different models.

Ebay says this as well, plus they say they fit all Twin Cam years., but Ebay also says that 25617-07A and 25589-07A fit all Twin Cam years. But the cams I installed have a third different part number....25589-07A and 256170-07A....which Ebay says fits all Twin Cam years. So that's three different part numbers.

Dealer is closed today, it's a holiday in Canada. I'll call tomorrow and see if these three sets of part numbers are all same, if they've been just superseded. Usually when that happens they just change the suffix, -07A to -07B etc. I tried finding the 25589-07A and 256170-07A cams on Ronnies, they don't show up for anything. Grasping at straws, thought I might have the wrong map/cams for my bike. We'll see tomorrow.

Jim
Jim, like you, I want to replace my SE 251 cams with stock. I show the numbers 24608-07A and 25590-07A. Were these the two correct numbers that you investigated at the dealership?

Old 08-17-2023, 10:42 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nomoreyellowfootprints
Jim, like you, I want to replace my SE 251 cams with stock. I show the numbers 24608-07A and 25590-07A. Were these the two correct numbers that you investigated at the dealership?
Yes they are. Dealership said those numbers weren't good. Nothing cam up. I installed them anyway.

Jim

Quick Reply: What a pain in the butt