Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike revs up & won't drop back down

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 10:11 PM
Castlerocket
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike revs up & won't drop back down

A little backstory/history. Bike 2007 Road King. Since 2021 my bike would randomly shut off when the clutch was pulled in and I was downshifting gears such as when getting off the interstate and slowing down on the off ramp. Took it to the mechanic who found codes p1353 and P0108. His notes say he checked the wiring harness, plugs and connections with no issues. He replaced the ET sensor at the same appointment. Almost immediately after getting the bike back the same problem came back. This time the codes were P0152, P1356 and P0118 (again). Replaced the power commander that time. Quit using that mechanic since that didn't fix the problem either. Since the bike always started right back up, I just dealt with it and had a different mechanic do a quick check on it. He found no issues. This summer the dreaded check engine light and engine pressure light came back and the above issue continued. So, I tried a different mechanic. He replaced the O2 sensor. The day after I picked up the bike I went for a short ride of about 150 miles. The check engine light and engine pressure light came back on. The bigger problem is that the bike also started with a new issue and this is what I need advice on. When I let off the throttle, it rolls forward as it should, but once I pull the clutch in to change gears the bike revs up and will not rev back down by blipping the throttle. The only way to get the revs to drop is to pull in the clutch, hit the kill switch and start the bike back up. Thankfully, it fires back up, but one can imagine what a pain in the butt this is. Before I took it back to the mechanic I rode it on interstate, in town, on the twists, and on the flats. It happened no matter what the situation. This time they replaced the voltage regulator. Picked the bike up and drove it to the next town the high rev problem is still not fixed. Adjusted and lubed cables. Pulled off the air filter off the carb and checked the slide. It operates as it should. Sick and tired of throwing money at this with no actual solution. Is this a worn out throttle position sensor? Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much info as I could think of that may or may not be related.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:01 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 853 Likes on 643 Posts

Review engine idle control motor.
Purchase a service manual.
Due not replace parts without first testing part.
Replacement without testing just complicates diagnostics by introducing more variables.
You have not defined codes.
Codes might help.
The internals of fuel tank should be reviewed too.
But now I see you put "carb" ??
I thought that year was fuel injection.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:05 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

I think your bike is FI.
Make sure both throttle cables have a little play when bike is off..

Make sure all is sealed past carburetor or throttle body.. (intake air leak)

If it is a carburetor bike, replace MAP sensor in intake. P0108 error.

Replace IAC valve if it is FI

Need all the letters Harley assigned to it similar to my signature line

FLH?????

Item 9

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-02-2023 at 08:19 AM.