Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

I think ignition is failing when bike gets hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 12:32 AM
SparkyHog
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I think ignition is failing when bike gets hot

Riding with my son on back and my 2000 Dyna Wide Glide starts sputtering/cutting out after riding for about half an hour. I nursed it back home, jerking, and sputtering the whole way.

So today I replaced the vented gas cap and switched out petcock for new non-diaphragm type.

Test rode the bike for a little bit and it seemed fine. Then took the wife out tonight, and encountered the Same situation! Bike coughs, sputters threatens to die after riding for about half an hour. This time I shut it down let it cool off for about 10 or 15 minutes. Started back up and it seem to do OK getting us home.

I’ve replaced the vented gas cap with new, replaced vacuum
-diaphragm pet-**** with new non-vacuum type.

Next I plan to replace the ignition coil, the sensor, and the ignition module. Problem is I don’t know where to find a new module that is not one of those crazy programmable type. Also, I’m not sure if I need a new cam position sensor? Where that is on the bike, nor how to find a new one. Having trouble finding a shop manual in PDF as well.

any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-29-2023, 07:16 AM
cycleman11
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts

Is the bike EFI or Carb? When you talk about a sensor then I assume it is EFI. It behaves like the coil is bad. The start after a cool down is a classic symptom of a bad coil. You might want to take the cam cover off and look at the pickup. On older bikes they tend to act up and if you see any brown stuff leaking from the pickup, that is a sign that it is not well.

Not sure if you can still get the stock module from Harley for that year of bike, but you can check. Most of us with older bikes have been unable to find new stock replacement ignition parts so have had to go the Dyna or other brand routes for ignition pieces. I wouldn't be afraid of them as they are easy to install and have a couple of different settings that work fine with a stock bike. They are much simpler and work well.

The following 2 users liked this post by cycleman11:
CoolBreeze3646 (07-29-2023), SparkyHog (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 08:26 AM
Rogue1
Road Master
Received 666 Likes on 340 Posts

Coils would be something to check. After working on bikes for many years I have seen older coils get hot and stop functioning properly. Not uncommon.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rogue1:
HillbillyRick (08-11-2023), SparkyHog (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 08:31 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyHog

I’ve replaced the vented gas cap with new, replaced vacuum
-diaphragm pet-**** with new non-vacuum type.

Next I plan to replace the ignition coil, the sensor, and the ignition module. Having trouble finding a shop manual in PDF as well.

any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Apologies if I've misunderstood, but when you say you're having trouble finding a shop manual in PDF, do you mean a free one?

It's just that you've already thrown some parts at it and your planning on changing a bunch more. Just buy a manual, it will pay for itself in the long run.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 10:48 AM
SparkyHog
4th Gear

Ya happy to pay for the manual. Perhaps my frustration last night was inhibiting my search, but I couldn’t seem to find a manual specific to my bike. If anyone has a link, I would certainly appreciate it. Again, not worried about paying for it. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2023, 10:51 AM
SparkyHog
4th Gear

Hey, thank you for all the good info. I should’ve specified but I was referring to the cam position sensor in my original post. I will pull it apart and check that out. Good to know I’m not the only ones having a hard time finding stock ignition parts. I’m going to look into the Dyna stuff.

Old 07-29-2023, 10:57 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyHog
Ya happy to pay for the manual. Perhaps my frustration last night was inhibiting my search, but I couldn’t seem to find a manual specific to my bike. If anyone has a link, I would certainly appreciate it. Again, not worried about paying for it. Thanks!
I'm just goofing off today
Stumbled across this https://www.ebay.com/itm/22567889620...Bk9SR6C53qW0Yg

good luck WP

The following users liked this post:
SparkyHog (07-29-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 11:08 PM
SparkyHog
4th Gear

So, after much reading, and riding, I came to believe that it was not ignition but fuel.
Took the carb off, ordered the rebuild kit bought a ultrasonic cleaner, went through the carb. Reassembled and installed on the bike, and now it runs MUCH WORSE!

so frustrating!

basically it idles, but anytime I open the throttle it cuts out immediately.

Please help if you can. Any advice appreciated.

Old 08-04-2023, 11:31 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,842 Posts

If it is running worse after carb rebuild, make sure you used right size jets, and got diaphram in correct. Look at last thing you did.

I was going to say my 2001 is on 3rd coil. They ohmed fine when off bike. But either vibration or heat caused failiures.

Old 08-05-2023, 12:39 AM
SparkyHog
4th Gear

Ya, just replaced the coil three days ago. Used the same jets that came out of it, just thoroughly cleaned them.

im at a loss.

im wondering if I may have missed a jet. This carb only has two jets right? Idle and main? Is there a third pilot/low speed circuit?

Quick Reply: I think ignition is failing when bike gets hot