Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Can I switch from open loop back to closed loop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 08:40 AM
nocoast
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Can I switch from open loop back to closed loop?

2015 Road Glide
107”
Headwork
Reaper cams
Shorty 2-1
Power Vision

Years ago I had my bike tuned by a reputable tuner in my area, when I got it back the 02 sensors were off. He told me he likes to tune bikes in Open loop. Bike ran great, rode it all over the country. Never an issue with the tune.

Last year I had a 107, headwork and new cams put it by another tuner. He asked why it was in open loop. I told him about the previous tuner and added “do what you think is best, I don’t care if it’s open or closed loop”. He left it in open loop. The bike ran better then before.

Over the last few months I’ve noticed a noticeable decrease in power and popping on decel. Narrowed it down to an exhaust leak at the flange. Fixed it and now the bike is happy again and back to normal.

But it got me thinking, if I were in closed loop the bike might run better when things are a bit off. Can I just install my 02 sensors, flip the button in PV to closed loop and run it as is? Or would I need to re tune it?

Thanks

Old 07-07-2023, 05:52 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 545 Likes on 312 Posts

You'll also need to change the AFR table to 14.6 in the area you want to run closed loop...cruise range. I like open loop. It seems to be smoother and more responsive.

I think canned tunes are closed loop so the ecu can compensate for differences in similar bikes and maybe to keep the EPA off the vendor's back.

There's a reason the new Power Core software for PV3 and PV4 limit what the typical user can see and modify. The old software may be an update away from getting neutered.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:01 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,842 Posts

On some years, doesn't it revert to open loop in certain instances anyways? Not saying I would convert or not.