Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Newly built engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 09:44 AM
tjernigan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly built engine won't start

So I rebuilt my 2005 dyna FXDI. I put in a 97ci big bore kit with pistons, 79cc heads, 58mm throttle body, all S&S. Didn't upgrade the injectors or cams. I put a dyna jet power vision 3 and autotuner on it and flashed it with a 96ci Dyna 2 into 2 full exhaust with a high flow intake. My problem is it won't start. I turns over but I get nothing but flames out the tailpipe. Every couple of revolutions I get a snap that sounds like it's coming out of the intake. The engine makes no effort to actually run just flames out the pipe. So clearly it seems to be a mixture issue. My problem is That map is the closest there is to what is on my bike, so how do I fix it? Or am I wrong and it isn't a mixture issue and something else?

Link to video of it trying to start

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPgxbnHjoLpvL99r5

Old 07-04-2023, 10:44 AM
tjernigan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *update*

So I was double-checking my connections and found that I had the spark plug cables backward. Flipped them and it started up on the second crank. I was going through the break-in and it wasn't running for 3 minutes before a loud pop and it just shut off. It started sizzling and smoke coming out of the intake. I'm hoping that this is just part of the break-in. Gotta run it a few more times after it cools according to S&S