Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ultra Limited with Power Commander V

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 08:40 AM
Monkey60
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Limited with Power Commander V

Hi there, I have a 2016 Ultra Limited with Kerker exhaust, no change in air intake (purchased that way) and I found it has the Dyno Tune Power Commander V on it! My question is, what the hell can J do with it as I am new to all this!

Bike seems to run OK, does pop sometimes on decel, and left pipe is black compared to right side!

Any help, advice?

Old 07-02-2023, 12:43 PM
Highclasshobo
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

PCV is a piggy back tuner meaning you can take it off and plug your connectors back into the ECM directly and remove it altogether. That means you will revert back to the stock tune that is likely on your ECM now. Depending on your modifications I'm not sure that is desirable for you or not (bike may run even worse than it is now) tuners are installed to modify the amount of fuel that the injectors deliver to the cylinder. Your deceleration "popping" is coming from unspent/unburnt fuel being ignited by the hot exhaust inside the muffler. It is pretty common with an inaccurate fuel map delivering too much or too little fuel. There are other things that can cause decel popping but its most likely the fuel issue. Sounds to me you have a generic "canned" fuel map on the PCV creating a host of problems. Why anyone would put a PCV on a 2016 is beyond me but they did. You have a couple of options.
1. Take off PCV and run stock map and see how that does.
2. Buy a Dyno jet power vision tuner and run auto tunes until your happy with performance. There are other tuners like TTS master tune but those 2 are the best options.
3. Use your current PCV unchanged as it is or install different map on your PCV that runs better for you current setup.
4. Take it to a professional Dyno tuner and have him dyno tune you bike.

If all you have is a different slip on exhaust I'm not really sure you even need a tuner especially if you don't have a high flow air intake or any other mods. It's really all up to you how far you take it and what you are happy with and how much money you want to spend. My suggestion is to take off the PCV and see if bike runs better and go from there.

All this is just a guide for you. If you are uncomfortable with messing with anything you should consult a professional so he can lay his eyeballs on your bike to be 100% sure of what's going on.

Last edited by Highclasshobo; 07-02-2023 at 12:52 PM.