Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No power, nothing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 02:57 PM
qf4phlyer
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No power, nothing.

I have a 2011 FLHTCU. Today I finally had a chance to install an HD Stage 1 air cleaner kit. I removed the main fuse and tank, and did the install. I put the it back together. I turned the ignition on and hit the starter button. The bike cranked, but wouldn't start. I realised I hadn't plugged in the smaller electrical black connector on the left side of the tank. I plugged it in and now I have absolutely nothing.

I turn the ignition switch is in the run position, I turn the main to on, and nothing, no dash lights, no fuel pump, no headlights, nothing. The battery is at 13,5 volts, I have 12 volts to the battery fuse, 12 volts to the radio memory, but nothing to the ECM fuse.

I have tested all of the fuses for continuity and they are good.

I swapped the system relay with the start relay, nothing. I swapped the brake relay to those also and nothing.

With these relays should there be continuity between at least two of the pins without power?

I'm at my witts end. I've had the bike for 8 years, no other modifications other then the air cleaner kit I installed today.

Thoughts?

Crossed post in touring thread.

Old 06-26-2023, 03:04 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,872 Likes on 1,268 Posts

May seem silly
Kill switch ???
Wouldn't be a first. Done it myself Lol

WP. Pm

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 04:17 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

The battery, ECM, and Radio fuses all get power directly from the battery. It shouldn't be hard to figure out.. Don't smell any burning plastic? Check battery terminals and grounds. Check battery voltage with ignition on..

Old 06-27-2023, 05:47 AM
qf4phlyer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The battery, ECM, and Radio fuses all get power directly from the battery. It shouldn't be hard to figure out.. Don't smell any burning plastic? Check battery terminals and grounds. Check battery voltage with ignition on..
Will do! The battery and radio have 12 volts, ECM nothing. Battery connections are good, tight and clean, 13.5 volts at the terminals. I will check with the ignition switch to on.

The Kill switch is in the run position.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2023, 07:48 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by qf4phlyer
Will do! The battery and radio have 12 volts, ECM nothing. Battery connections are good, tight and clean, 13.5 volts at the terminals. I will check with the ignition switch to on.

The Kill switch is in the run position.

Thanks!
Not sure where you are checking voltages but the battery voltage at the connections should be the same as the fuses.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:35 AM
qf4phlyer
Advanced

Not sure where you are checking voltages but the battery voltage at the connections should be the same as the fuses.
I picked up a better tester. I have 12.9 volts at the battery. I pulled the fuses and I have 12.9 volts at the battery memory, Battery and ECM fuses. I also tested as you suggested. I have 12.9 volts at the battery with the ignition switch turned to the on position, I still don't have any activity, gauges, lights, fuel pump. All the fuses test good, I have 12.9 volts at the main fuse and it tests good.

When I put the tank back on and cranked it for the first time, I remember the fuel light on, and the red security key illuminated. I turned the ignition to off and connected the tank electrical connector. When I connected it, it failed to even crank, and that's where I've been stuck.

I purchased this bike from a dealer 8 years ago. I never had a FOB. Could this be a TSSM issue?

When I press the odometer reset it lights and shows the mileage, it will not go into diag mode. I've also tried to check the PIN code and it will not go to that either.

Bike is in neutral, I've tried with the jiffy stand up and down,

Thanks

Old 06-28-2023, 10:53 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I assume it's a FLHTCU.. What year?

Old 06-28-2023, 11:38 AM
qf4phlyer
Advanced

I assume it's a FLHTCU.. What year?
2011. I live in a rural area, I have a doctors appt. in the city, the HD dealer I purchased the bike from is there. I'm going to stop by and ask about the code or fob. I'm sure I'll get the bring it in and we'll take a look.

I really appreciate your help.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:43 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

On a 2011, all the power is routed to the ignition switch. Did you mess with that? Check the connector on the switch. Maybe while you installed the tank you knocked it loose?

Old 06-29-2023, 08:30 AM
qf4phlyer
Advanced

On a 2011, all the power is routed to the ignition switch. Did you mess with that? Check the connector on the switch. Maybe while you installed the tank you knocked it loose?
I'll check that today. The HD service guy, said he thinks its a TSSM issue, but I'll need to bring it in.

Quick Reply: No power, nothing.