Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

fuel pressure good but no fuel? 2010 Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 11:56 AM
odie13
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fuel pressure good but no fuel? 2010 Road Glide

What I thought was an ignition problem turned out to be fuel. It was "miss firing" and just would not run. Just a couple fires then shut down.

If I spray a little starter fluid it will run just fine. I can mist starter fluid into the intake and it runs and revs up just fine. So I have a fuel delivery problem.

I got a fuel pressure tester to start my trouble shooting. Well, the check valve started leaking right away, so I replaced the o ring and all is good. When I turn the ignition on the pressure jumps right up to around 55. Looks like the pump, regulator and filter are fine. PSI holds good when I shut the ignition off as well.

Still will not start or run without starter fluid.

Guessing dead or totally clogged injectors or is there a fuse or relay to check?

This happened suddenly. Was on a trip and bike ran great. Parked for a while, started and ran 2 blocks and then sputtered out.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:58 AM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,171 Likes on 1,164 Posts

are you getting power to your injectors? id start there and work your way back. do you have a wiring diagram?

Old 06-13-2023, 12:00 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Fuel filter been checked???

Old 06-13-2023, 12:01 PM
odie13
Intermediate

I'd have to look thru the shop manual. I do have the Clymers and HD shop manuals.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:05 PM
odie13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
I "think" I replaced it a couple years back. Not 100% sure. But that's why I bought a fuel pressure tester first to see before I started getting into the tank. Low pressure would have meant pump/regulator or filter but PSI came on strong as soon as I turn ignition power on.

I guess maybe since the injectors are not flowing fuel until start up, a clogged filter might still initially pressurize. But when I get it started with starter fluid and keep it running with starter fluid, the PSI holds steady.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:04 AM
odie13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
well, got back to the bike this weekend. Pulled the filter and it was completely clogged. You nailed it there. worst fuel filter I've ever seen on anything. lots of gunk in the filter housing too.

I already had a spare filter but can't find it so back to HD to get another and see if that fixes everything. I'll be pulling the pump as well to check the strainer sock as well.

I'm wondering if I got a fill of some really contaminated gas? I mean I've NEVER seen a fuel filter this ugly. It's almost like algae.

The following 2 users liked this post by odie13:
Hammerhead Pat (06-20-2023), M Oclaf (06-20-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 08:24 AM
odie13
Intermediate

update part 2...

Out of curiosity I pulled the fuel pump out to check and clean the sock strainer...the sock strainer had completely disintegrated. All that was left was the plastic clip that hold it to the fuel pump. The plastic strainer frame was broken into 2-3 pieces in the bottom of the tank. What was left of the sock itself was a couple large chunks. The sock itself had mostly crumbled and sucked thru the pump and clogged the filter.

So it will be back to HD today after work to pick up a new strainer as well. The sock material is pretty delicate screen. I gather the tiny bits of it passed thru the pump without issue and plugged the filter. It basically turned to powder.

The following users liked this post:
Hammerhead Pat (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 08:37 AM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,171 Likes on 1,164 Posts

hopefully youve found your problem.

Old 06-28-2023, 02:45 PM
odie13
Intermediate

got a new strainer sock. put everything back together. still no luck. fuel pressure still shows good.

Going to have to see if the injectors are getting any current. Or pull the injectors and bench test them.

Bike will start and run on starting fluid. So ignition is fine. I'm just not getting any fuel into the cylinders.

I wonder if the injectors got totally plugged as a result of the fuel strainer dissolving and running thru everything? I was assuming the mail filter trapped everything.

Old 06-28-2023, 02:50 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,579 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Press up/hold on the fuel rail where it goes into the check valve (@ the tank), and try to start. I have had those stupid check valves click, but not actually push the valve up far enough to pass fuel. If pushing up on the fuel rail allows it to run like normal, but dies when you let go, replace the check valve & the fuel rail.

The following users liked this post:
odie13 (06-28-2023)

Quick Reply: fuel pressure good but no fuel? 2010 Road Glide