Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dynojet Power Vision 4 on Android

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 01:04 PM
GROOVY1975
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a question about ECM and PV4 in general regarding odometer reading. Can I pull the odometer reading from the ECM and display it on PV? I don't need to know it, but I'd like to know it, at some point but my speedo has been gone for years and I only use PV4 for speed etc. I'm more asking if my 2007 super glide twin cam 96ci stores the odometer in the ECM and if so, can PV4 show it?

Old 08-24-2024, 12:36 PM
lameyofth
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought one for my Victory Octane a while ago. Main issue I've been having with it is that it just does not like my phone, a Sony Xperia 5 III. It connects to the bluetooth, but then says it can't read the firmware on the PV4.

Old 08-24-2024, 08:13 PM
07fsxt
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GROOVY1975
My PV4 is always connected, I use it to live monitor everything (pings, temp, speed, etc), I installed it inside my fuse cover (2007 dyna). PV4 is optional though, once you flash the ecm, you can unplug it. I however, bought the PV4 specifically to monitor everything (especially RPM and MPH speed to remove speedometer) as a tach setup was more to setup and purchase everything then it was to buy the PV4.

I love my powervision 4, I watch everything like a hawk and mount the phone to handlebars so it does everything, RPM, speed (MPH), temp, pings, etc, so I removed my speedo.

I have my super glide in perfect tune so to be honest, at this point, I only use my PV4 to monitor everything through an always connected, PV4 inside my fuse cover/box. I haven't flashed the ECM in a few months (probably 6). No need to flash my ECM anymore since I got her it perfect harmony tune.

Here's a pic of my dyna, it's inside the cover:

This is what I monitor:
Running a PV4 with very few minor problems. Just curious, what did you do about the pinging (knock)? I have been working with Lucas at Fuel Moto to get rid of mine. It has been a process but I think he got most of the pinging eliminated. Lucas has been patient and answers emails within a day. Good guy to work with.

Old 08-26-2024, 10:48 AM
timbo1
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Just so we're clear, they are no differences to the end consumer between Gen1 and Gen2 PV4, all updates & features are the same regardless of you have an early or late PV4. The part number didn't even change, the difference is the extra CAN port and universal cable stub as they are now accommodating other vehicles into the PV4 platform.

By features and updates running in parallel I was referring to the actual development of such, besides the app there is an entire battery of testing. And once the app is developed it has to be approved by each platform before it released for consumer use. These move at difference paces between iOs and Android. What my original comment meant is their aim is to have the features the same between both platforms
Thanks for your response. I truly appreciate your attempts to answer my questions and clarify what's going on with the PV4, it's associated app and features present and future. I know your not the mfg of the PV4 so your responses here are above and beyond. So Kudo's to FM for their support. I wish Dynojet themselves had a presence to answer such questions and be more transparent. Anyway for clarity I have more questions.

Maybe I'm slow but the updates on Google Play and Apple Store regarding WB support specifically state Gen2 required. How do you align that with your statement " all updates & features are the same regardless of you have an early or late PV4."? Or are you saying the only time the end consumer will know the difference is when he goes to have the bike dyno tuned and the dyno guy cant directly connect the Gen1 to the dyno?

And if the part number didn't change between Gen1 & Gen2, has the Gen1 been obsoleted in favor of the Gen2 with the extra CAN port and universal cable stub with direct dyno connection??
I would love to see a FM University video comparing the Gen1 & Gen2 side by side showing the differences in form and function.

You stated previously the big update "game changer" should be coming in the next 30 days. Was that statement regarding Android, Apple or both around the same time or will one or the other be released months down the road from the other?

Old 08-26-2024, 11:08 AM
GROOVY1975
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 07fsxt
Running a PV4 with very few minor problems. Just curious, what did you do about the pinging (knock)? I have been working with Lucas at Fuel Moto to get rid of mine. It has been a process but I think he got most of the pinging eliminated. Lucas has been patient and answers emails within a day. Good guy to work with.
That's exactly what I did, I worked with Jamie until I smoothed out the tune and it's FLAWLESS! I pull through every gear, at any RPM range, it's amazing! I still get a few pings when it's really hot out, but no more than 10 on a long ride. I did have air cleaner issues (dirty S&S filter) plus plug wire issues. I changed my wires to "Hot Fire" wires and that DEFINITELY helped, then I cleaned the AC filter and retuned her back to solid. When I didn't figure out the AC was clogged, I was upwards of 100 on a hot day in the rear cylinder so after that long ride, I took everything apart until I sorted it out. I, for some reason, didn't put it together that my AC was causing the pings, IDK why, but it took me a minute to put that together so also check your air is coming in clean. Definitely go to external crank breather if not already, as that was always causing high pings, and I also run Marvel Mystery in every tank now and it's FLAWLESS at least 30,000 miles on her (maybe more), IDK with my PV4, I took the Speedo off a long time ago.

As to tuning, all I did was basically change little by little, and bounced ideas of Jamie. I researched EFI and AFR, then changed a parameter, tested, made more change or less and moved on to the next cell/field. I modified the tune he sent me, which was built off my running tune. Over time, I got it perfect, but it did take a few months and a bit more of Jamie's time than I expected to get (by me asking him EVERYTHING, for example what this or that meant). As I noted a few times, fuelmoto is incredible, and Jamie is awesome, he really helped me overcome my carb mentality and my many years of carb use/experience to get a better understanding of EFI. I'm by no means, an expert, or hell could probably even explain it and what I tweaked, but I'm an senior system engineer by trade and have built many many Harleys for friends and myself over the 30 years I've ridden so I kept at it. I still don't know how to explain AFR and what someone else should do to change the tune for their needs (like I could with a carb), but I sure as heck, got my own tune perfected far beyond what I could have ever expected! My super glide, runs by far, the BEST FREAKIN Big Twin I've owned! Out my 16 BTs, most were shovels, most were monsters, most were CAM'd and stroked, but they couldn't TOUCH my EFI dyna!! This is hands down, the fastest, best riding Harley I've owned to date! I was so against EFI that it took me 15 years LONGER to adapt to EFI (and not buy yet ANOTHER carb'd shovel), that I'm not to proud to admit that I was just WRONG. EFI can be phenomenal if you get it tuned right!

The only thing I haven't modded to much, was my timing. I was careful not to tweak those timing advance/retards to much one way or the other because I didn't want motor issues from a wrong tweak. In the end, my original tune (regards to timing only) is the ONLY setting I left FMs. Fuelmotos timing seemed to work perfect, so I didn't need with it much, but EVERYTHING else was modified by me. No more pings, no more lull spots in the RPM range, and it SCREAMS!! NEVER a backfire, nor drop off in power, over ANY RPM I'm running at, nor does load seem to matter (but I do mainly ride solo), the Mrs doesn't ride much with me like we used to twenty years ago.

These are the exact wires I got, and in my opinion, worth ever penny!!! I truly felt the difference immediately (but also I had frayed wiring) so it's possible that any new wiring would have helped, IDK but there awesome and look cool!

***Between Google autocorrect, and my own dumbass brain, I had a ton of grammatical errors and typos, so I edited this post many times. Sorry for the confusion if you read the first drafts!***

Also I use 94 Sunoco when I can (which is fairly often unless I'm on a ride), my bike loves 94 octane!

Last edited by GROOVY1975; 08-26-2024 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:41 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by timbo1

Maybe I'm slow but the updates on Google Play and Apple Store regarding WB support specifically state Gen2 required. How do you align that with your statement " all updates & features are the same regardless of you have an early or late PV4."? Or are you saying the only time the end consumer will know the difference is when he goes to have the bike dyno tuned and the dyno guy cant directly connect the Gen1 to the dyno?

And if the part number didn't change between Gen1 & Gen2, has the Gen1 been obsoleted in favor of the Gen2 with the extra CAN port and universal cable stub with direct dyno connection??
I would love to see a FM University video comparing the Gen1 & Gen2 side by side showing the differences in form and function.

You stated previously the big update "game changer" should be coming in the next 30 days. Was that statement regarding Android, Apple or both around the same time or will one or the other be released months down the road from the other?
All of this will be documented when the update is released. Gen1 has not been obsoleted, it was superseded to the Gen2 unit which allows the device to run on additional vehicle applications. Gen1 devices do not work with the WB2 wideband platform, however wideband integration is supported via Target Tune and allows considerable advantages over the WB2/AT Pro. If you are a PV4 user and want to incorporate wideband O2 sensors to an 2007-later bike Target Tune is the recommended product. If you have a pre-07 non-O2 sensor equipped bike and want to use wideband O2's you will use Auto Tune Pro, in this application it will require a Gen2 PV4.

We don't have the exact details on what/when will be released or if iOS or Android will be released at the same time. As noted earlier development runs in parallel however various aspects change the specific timelines.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 08-26-2024, 03:25 PM
timbo1
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
All of this will be documented when the update is released. Gen1 has not been obsoleted, it was superseded to the Gen2 unit which allows the device to run on additional vehicle applications. Gen1 devices do not work with the WB2 wideband platform, however wideband integration is supported via Target Tune and allows considerable advantages over the WB2/AT Pro. If you are a PV4 user and want to incorporate wideband O2 sensors to an 2007-later bike Target Tune is the recommended product. If you have a pre-07 non-O2 sensor equipped bike and want to use wideband O2's you will use Auto Tune Pro, in this application it will require a Gen2 PV4.

We don't have the exact details on what/when will be released or if iOS or Android will be released at the same time. As noted earlier development runs in parallel however various aspects change the specific timelines.
Thanks Jamie, I appreciate your effort in trying to clear things up for me. I used the word obsoleted as I believed the Gen1 was no longer being manufactured and was replaced with the Gen2, not that the Gen1 is of no use. I believe your statement of the Gen1 being superseded confirms that belief. I think it's semantics but I think we're on the same page. I look forward to the update and document release.

Old 08-26-2024, 04:49 PM
ADR
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Power Vision

Not to derail the thread, because I really like to hear the progress of the PV line, but I'm glad I have the PV1 Classic! Hopefully they come up with a better strategy of teaching the Auto Tune Basic, to the masses. I've been a customer of DynoJet and Fuel Moto for about 10 years. Good stuff, but you gotta do your part with bike maintenance and installation. My base maps were never perfect, but after upgrading from the Power Commander 5, to the Power Vision, performing the Auto Tune flash in various conditions, then comparing the maps, I learned that those base maps are always a touch too rich. Once you see how the table changes, and when fuel is delivered with throttle, you start to understand how the tune changes the sound and feel of the bike. The Power Vision is a very powerful tool. Just dropping it off at a dyno shop won't deliver that understanding.

Old 08-30-2024, 01:47 PM
GROOVY1975
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 07fsxt

One last thing to check/tweak is you IAC steps, I lined mine up to RPM range and it's so much better. This was after a ride to work and back (20 minutes each way). But I do it every 3 days a week and usually I get the 5sh pings. Fixing my IAC steps on Fri all but removed my pings and now she's even better. Apparently my IAC was giving to much or to little air at the peak range because the steps were off but now it's solid through every gear and RPM range WOT or moderate throttle, doesn't matter. No more pings and peak performance!

Old 08-31-2024, 09:17 PM
07fsxt
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Groovy. I am kind of new to the power core software so I will see if Lucas at Fuel Moto can adjust my Idle air. So far the only things we have done to help the pinging is adjusting the air fuel ratio and he tweaked the VE tables. Retarding the timing didn't help. I think the pinging is 98% gone but I haven't had the bike out on a 100+ day.

The following users liked this post:
GROOVY1975 (09-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Dynojet Power Vision 4 on Android