Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dynojet Power Vision 4 on Android

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 01:09 PM
gpearson_dynojet
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write such honest feedback - I'm really sorry for the trouble the app has given you. I'm the software engineering manager at Dynojet - I architected PV4 and wrote a lot of the firmware and directed the team of contractors that built the apps. The firmware is robust, reliable and highly optimized, but unfortunately, the piece people have to interact with is the app. PV4 has a lot of potential - it's a project I've been really excited about for a long time, but it hasn't come out the way we intended. We took a chance on using third party developers for the app portion, and largely, that's really bitten us. The good news is that we're working on pulling app development in-house, which will help us get back on track. We intended for a lot of the features everyone wants to be done WAY earlier, but we had to stop and re-write the app from scratch (that's why you see the legacy version) and that ate up a bunch of the time and budget we had allocated for Autotune and other features. Everything is still coming, but it's (unfortunately) been delayed until we can hire a mobile developer, which we are in the process of doing (I've written this, literally, between reading resumes).

For what it's worth, the app developers are in the middle of rewriting the Bluetooth code to make it more reliable because we've seen a lot of people struggling to connect to their devices - in addition, I see you're having some trouble with the screen turning off on the live gauge screen, and I'll make sure to get a wake-lock inserted into the gauge screen in the next release (we have one in the pipeline that fixes a bunch of stuff right now, pending final internal testing). In addition, if you want to view logs, I'd recommend installing the beta version of Power Core - you can do this by going to the app launcher, going to settings, and checking the "Get more recent bug fixes and updates with beta releases", which contains support for the new PV4 style logs. We're also in the process of releasing these changes as part of the main distribution, but testing takes quite a while and there are a LOT of pieces to check.

Anyhow, I apologize for the trouble, we ARE working to improve the app, and please don't hesitate to reply with any requests or other changes you'd like to see in PV4!

Best Regards,

Grant Pearson
Dynojet Research

Old 09-15-2023, 04:19 PM
AkaReaper
Cruiser
Veteran: Army
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gpearson_dynojet
Thanks for taking the time to write such honest feedback - I'm really sorry for the trouble the app has given you. I'm the software engineering manager at Dynojet - I architected PV4 and wrote a lot of the firmware and directed the team of contractors that built the apps. The firmware is robust, reliable and highly optimized, but unfortunately, the piece people have to interact with is the app. PV4 has a lot of potential - it's a project I've been really excited about for a long time, but it hasn't come out the way we intended. We took a chance on using third party developers for the app portion, and largely, that's really bitten us. The good news is that we're working on pulling app development in-house, which will help us get back on track. We intended for a lot of the features everyone wants to be done WAY earlier, but we had to stop and re-write the app from scratch (that's why you see the legacy version) and that ate up a bunch of the time and budget we had allocated for Autotune and other features. Everything is still coming, but it's (unfortunately) been delayed until we can hire a mobile developer, which we are in the process of doing (I've written this, literally, between reading resumes).

For what it's worth, the app developers are in the middle of rewriting the Bluetooth code to make it more reliable because we've seen a lot of people struggling to connect to their devices - in addition, I see you're having some trouble with the screen turning off on the live gauge screen, and I'll make sure to get a wake-lock inserted into the gauge screen in the next release (we have one in the pipeline that fixes a bunch of stuff right now, pending final internal testing). In addition, if you want to view logs, I'd recommend installing the beta version of Power Core - you can do this by going to the app launcher, going to settings, and checking the "Get more recent bug fixes and updates with beta releases", which contains support for the new PV4 style logs. We're also in the process of releasing these changes as part of the main distribution, but testing takes quite a while and there are a LOT of pieces to check.

Anyhow, I apologize for the trouble, we ARE working to improve the app, and please don't hesitate to reply with any requests or other changes you'd like to see in PV4!

Best Regards,

Grant Pearson
Dynojet Research
Man I hope this holds true. My bike get's put away for the season in about 6 weeks, so unfortunately I won't get the chance to see any improvements this year. Was actually going to remove and install another option before spring. Maybe I'll wait. Best of luck.

Old 09-16-2023, 01:11 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,460 Likes on 3,639 Posts

I think it's nice to get a report from the company... It says a lot...

The following 3 users liked this post by 98hotrodfatboy:
M Oclaf (09-17-2023), paulmedford (02-02-2024), ToneHD (12-03-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 09:58 PM
timbo1
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Best Regards,

Grant Pearson
Dynojet Research

Hello Grant,

Thank you for responding to my post with an explanation of the current state of the project. I do appreciate your response and fully understand the typical workflow of development and utilization of contractors. Do make note however my original post was in June and it's now September. Many of the issues I had mentioned have been resolved in different Bug fixes or use of work arounds since that time.
1. Eroneous DTC's were bug fixed in previous release.
2. Multiple 0 Code returned when reading DTC's also appear to have been bug fixed in previous release.
3. Bluetooth connectivity has been much improved with the re-write of the app for me. Guessing I connect 99% of the time without problem.
4. Reading .wp8 files was worked around through the ticketing system by installing Powercore updates and beta releases software.
5. Screen sleep / lock while running Live Gauges was bug fixed in a previous release.
6. I was noticing ABS warnings randomly when running Live Gauges and still do but not as frequent and only seems to appear if I'm running down the road and launch Live Gauges. ABS warning will come on momentarily then go off.
7. PV4 app failing to login, there's many potential source causes but one was a problem with the PV4 app itself and a bug fix was released to address that one. I've also had multiple occasions where I've not had good cell coverage and the app would fail to login. Preventing usage entirely. (This is my top complaint presently)

I agree the PV4 has a ton of potential and could be remarkable. Here is my request for change to help it get there.
1. Only require login to Dynojet cloud for Tunes or ECM Backup or other non local Functions that do require security or validation of some kind. No one has been able to articulate why a login is a requirement to run local Functions like Live Gauges, Reading DTC, or Data log. The login requirement adds to the complexity and in some cases the inability of my usage which is typically just running Live Gauges.

If I have to go through login I have to input 6 times
1. Launching the app
2. Input Username
3. Input Password
4. Scan for device
5. Select device
6. Select the Function I want to use (in my case typically Live Gauges)

So in addition to removing login for local use Functions I'd also request caching the last connected device's MAC and auto connect that device when the app is launched. Move the Scan for device to a sub level for those with multiple PV4's that need to be connected.

With this scenario it would make the device much more user friendly for local Functions and only require 2 user inputs. It would also eliminate times where local Functions are inaccessible due to failed Login.
1. Launching the app
2. Selecting the local Function desired

Those would be my most important request presently and I'm not going to ask for things like Autotune, Wideband support etc..that are most likely already on the to do list along with many others that are above my knowledge level.

But after all the functionality is worked out here's some ideas for a little fluff that could be incorporated into the app.
I know this is not what Dynojet specializes in but wouldn't it be fantastic to have all your service & travel tools in one app.

DTC's codes linked to a data base with most common causes and resolutions. Similar to Bluedriver ODB2 tool I have.
Service record logger. To record any time I do maintenance to my bike and the mileage, perhaps even with reminders.
MPG tracker, for those that don't have a module to tell us or prefer inputting the miles / gallon
Trip / map planner

And probably hundreds of other great ideas I haven't thought of. Like you said there is a lot of potential and it is exciting thinking of the possibilities which was one of the reasons I went with the PV4 to begin with. I truly hope you guys can get over the hurdles and reach the full potential.

Old 09-20-2023, 04:27 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,032 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by AkaReaper
I hate mine. The DJ name and "Features coming soon" hooked me right in. Nothing but the same issues, Constant app updates that don't work half the time, and then I will get prompted to update and when I hit it, it just starts the DJ app up. Won't connect a lot of times period. Always having to sign in. Haven't even tried the data logging because I'm doubtful it works. I'm seriously looking at dumping mine for something else.
Same here.

It was sold as something that would be a 1 to 1 replacement for the old style power vision..... eventually. They haven't released anything worthwhile yet. Still waiting on auto-tune, live cells, pretty much anything that would make it similar to my first power vision.

The following users liked this post:
AkaReaper (09-20-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 10:48 PM
timbo1
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Another day when I was unable to login to the PV4 app on Android, no problem with cell connectivity just wouldn't log in. To make matters worse I couldn't even report the problem from the app because I couldn't get logged into the app to use that function. A few hours later it seemed to login fine with no pw change or anything.

I certainly hope the Login requirement gets some attention as it's really infuriating not being able to use the device due to this design issue.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:43 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Best Regards,

Grant Pearson
Dynojet Research
It takes some ***** to come here in this environment and say this and admit failure to his point. I'll give ya that. At least people using it, or trying to, know the deal.
Hopefully for their sake it gets sorted out.
I respect your honesty. Not often seen here.
Best of luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by 60Gunner:
paulmedford (02-02-2024), porkster (10-11-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 12:36 PM
GROOVY1975
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have no issues with the app, PV4, or BT connections on my Android(s) once I remembered (to keep BT turned ON) in my phone. I installed the PV4 permanently inside my fuse panel on my '07 Super Glide (and waterproofed the connections with 3/4" shrink tube - Amazon) so I can (and do) live monitor the engine and such throughout the ride. What I would like added into the app and features are more gauge options (like smaller gauges), or ones that we can edit / move around so I can get more than just my RPM / Vehicle Speed / AFR on one page. I dont like switching pages on my phone, to see more gauges while riding (it's unsafe) so I'd like to have them smaller, and all on one page. I like to monitor multiple aspects but without having to switch between the gauge pages, hopefully that comes in the future app revisions. Other than the gauges not being re-sizable, I filipin LOVE my PV4!!! Its freakin awesome, and I have my baby ('07 Super Glide) in a super phenomenal running state with performance (it runs FLAWLESSLY but yes, I have TERRIBLE gas mileage - but I dont care)!!!

I am a DIY guy, I started my first Harley ground-up rebuild at 13 (almost 14) years old, just starting high school (finished it years later), I was the coolest senior in HS riding my first ground-up rebuilt shovelhead (77 FX) when the few other "bikers" in HS were all foreign bikes! I was the ONLY American biker I note that for this specific reason, I dont use, want, or would ever use (even if available for FREE) anything like an autotune. I can understand other users want / need / expected the PV4 to have the autotune and such (because of previous PV versions had it), but I didn't. This is my first EFI Harley (previous big twin, shovels with a few evo's mixed in) but they were all S&S carbs (my previous 15 HDs), so EFI and EFI tuning is newer to me on my bikes. That being said, even if I was well versed in EFI, no way would I ever rely on autotune, or dyno, or ANYONE else BUT ME to tune MY Harley. If I dont know it, I learn it, but never rely on anyone else, ever. That way, I can (and do) fix it for most minor issues on the the road, and never miss a beat (assuming its not critical failure - of course) but most things I fix on the fly. I know I derailed the train but I try to urge anyone that asks me how to do something, to learn it, and fix it yourself, or learn to fix it yourself with my help/guidance. I am a 40+ year biker (30 years were legal), and over those 30 years, I have fully ground up rebuilt many of bikes so often I get asked X,Y,Z, how to do this or that. That's when I urge them to learn and do it yourself, you will love it in the end because you know YOU did it SAFELY! For me, the PV4 is the perfect DIY tool, that was my point, I can edit any PARAM of the ECM, I want to. What else could you ask for in a tuner?

@gpearson_dynojet , I LOVE IT, its perfect, but please make resizable gauges for the app on Android and it will be SOLID! Also, I am using the BETA Power Core software on Windows 10, but I am still having issues opening the .wp8 run logs. Should it work with the beta or do I need to wait for a future release? I am a newb to the Power Core software, especially the WinPep 8 Data Center, so its VERY POSSIBLE I am doing it wrong and is a user error. I am still reviewing the manual for PC / WinPep but let me know if it should be working or not (while I review the manuals).

@timbo1 , if you don't need autotune, the PV4 is incredibly powerful and all I will ever need in a tuner. It took some getting used, and fuelmoto is still working/helping me fine tune a few things in my current tune, but overall, I LOVE IT! My current dyna runs FAR superior than ANY carb'd bike I have built, ridden, tuned, ETC., once you get around the learning curve (at I needed it), and figure out what does what, you can make a flawlessly running engine with EFI and the PV4!!! I thought I had my Carb'd bikes running well, not even close to my EFI SG!!!!

Last edited by GROOVY1975; 12-30-2023 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:16 PM
Czracer
Tourer
Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GROOVY1975
I have no issues with the app, PV4, or BT connections on my Android(s) once I remembered (to keep BT turned ON) in my phone. I installed the PV4 permanently inside my fuse panel on my '07 Super Glide (and waterproofed the connections with 3/4" shrink tube - Amazon) so I can (and do) live monitor the engine and such throughout the ride. What I would like added into the app and features are more gauge options (like smaller gauges), or ones that we can edit / move around so I can get more than just my RPM / Vehicle Speed / AFR on one page. I dont like switching pages on my phone, to see more gauges while riding (it's unsafe) so I'd like to have them smaller, and all on one page. I like to monitor multiple aspects but without having to switch between the gauge pages, hopefully that comes in the future app revisions. Other than the gauges not being re-sizable, I filipin LOVE my PV4!!! Its freakin awesome, and I have my baby ('07 Super Glide) in a super phenomenal running state with performance (it runs FLAWLESSLY but yes, I have TERRIBLE gas mileage - but I dont care)!!!

I am a DIY guy, I started my first Harley ground-up rebuild at 13 (almost 14) years old, just starting high school (finished it years later), I was the coolest senior in HS riding my first ground-up rebuilt shovelhead (77 FX) when the few other "bikers" in HS were all foreign bikes! I was the ONLY American biker I note that for this specific reason, I dont use, want, or would ever use (even if available for FREE) anything like an autotune. I can understand other users want / need / expected the PV4 to have the autotune and such (because of previous PV versions had it), but I didn't. This is my first EFI Harley (previous big twin, shovels with a few evo's mixed in) but they were all S&S carbs (my previous 15 HDs), so EFI and EFI tuning is newer to me on my bikes. That being said, even if I was well versed in EFI, no way would I ever rely on autotune, or dyno, or ANYONE else BUT ME to tune MY Harley. If I dont know it, I learn it, but never rely on anyone else, ever. That way, I can (and do) fix it for most minor issues on the the road, and never miss a beat (assuming its not critical failure - of course) but most things I fix on the fly. I know I derailed the train but I try to urge anyone that asks me how to do something, to learn it, and fix it yourself, or learn to fix it yourself with my help/guidance. I am a 40+ year biker (30 years were legal), and over those 30 years, I have fully ground up rebuilt many of bikes so often I get asked X,Y,Z, how to do this or that. That's when I urge them to learn and do it yourself, you will love it in the end because you know YOU did it SAFELY! For me, the PV4 is the perfect DIY tool, that was my point, I can edit any PARAM of the ECM, I want to. What else could you ask for in a tuner?

@gpearson_dynojet , I LOVE IT, its perfect, but please make resizable gauges for the app on Android and it will be SOLID! Also, I am using the BETA Power Core software on Windows 10, but I am still having issues opening the .wp8 run logs. Should it work with the beta or do I need to wait for a future release? I am a newb to the Power Core software, especially the WinPep 8 Data Center, so its VERY POSSIBLE I am doing it wrong and is a user error. I am still reviewing the manual for PC / WinPep but let me know if it should be working or not (while I review the manuals).

@timbo1 , if you don't need autotune, the PV4 is incredibly powerful and all I will ever need in a tuner. It took some getting used, and fuelmoto is still working/helping me fine tune a few things in my current tune, but overall, I LOVE IT! My current dyna runs FAR superior than ANY carb'd bike I have built, ridden, tuned, ETC., once you get around the learning curve (at I needed it), and figure out what does what, you can make a flawlessly running engine with EFI and the PV4!!! I thought I had my Carb'd bikes running well, not even close to my EFI SG!!!!
need to talk to Fuel Moto , I have the same on my 08 Fat Bob and they sent me a tune that not only makes my bike sing , have awesome mileage as well. Good luck to you ..

Last edited by Czracer; 12-30-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:24 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by GROOVY1975
I have my baby ('07 Super Glide) in a super phenomenal running state with performance (it runs FLAWLESSLY but yes, I have TERRIBLE gas mileage - but I don't care)!!!
Kind of an oxymoron if you ask me.

The following users liked this post:
GROOVY1975 (12-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Dynojet Power Vision 4 on Android