Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

DCTs after Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 09:41 AM
Meanface
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DCTs after Stage II

Hey y'all, i recently had a stage 2 installed and almost immediately after, my check engine light comes on and it's throwing PO 131 & 151 DTCs (front/rear O2 sensors).

I've read that this can happen. If anyone has experience on how to correct it, let me know what you did. From what I've read up on it seems like another tune can correct it?

Old 05-17-2023, 09:59 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,890 Likes on 3,702 Posts

They are lean codes. You either have something assembled incorrectly, created a vacuum lean somewhere, or a tune that is set up much too lean.

Old 05-17-2023, 11:27 AM
Meanface
Cruiser

It's fuel injected, how would a vacuum leak take place? A poor seal on a gasket?

Old 05-17-2023, 11:50 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Meanface
It's fuel injected, how would a vacuum leak take place? A poor seal on a gasket?
Did you replace the intake manifold, injectors, or throttle body? Or remove and install them at some point? If this is an M8 engine, OEM intake manifolds are known to cause problems. You've never said what you're working on.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:20 PM
Meanface
Cruiser

No, I had a Screamin Eagle .447 cam, S&S Plate/pump/lifters/cuffs and Sreamin Eagle adjustable pushrods done (M8 for clarification). The shop used a Screamin Eagle Pro Street Tuner for the tune.

Someone on RGForums suggested I check the O2 sensor connections in case they reversed the connections? I haven't gotten around to taking a look at that and the connections themselves.

I spoke to the shop where the work was done, he's an independent who's been in the business a long time. He told me with the map they used "It's definitely not running lean". I agree. No lag, plenty of power when passing cars/trucks although some snaps on the exhaust on deceleration. He also tried clearing the codes and ran the bike 15 miles for me after a recent maintenance. Of course the check engine light / codes didn't come on for him when he did this. LOL. Only me after I got home.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:16 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Meanface
No, I had a Screamin Eagle .447 cam, S&S Plate/pump/lifters/cuffs and Sreamin Eagle adjustable pushrods done (M8 for clarification). The shop used a Screamin Eagle Pro Street Tuner for the tune.

Someone on RGForums suggested I check the O2 sensor connections in case they reversed the connections? I haven't gotten around to taking a look at that and the connections themselves.

I spoke to the shop where the work was done, he's an independent who's been in the business a long time. He told me with the map they used "It's definitely not running lean". I agree. No lag, plenty of power when passing cars/trucks although some snaps on the exhaust on deceleration. He also tried clearing the codes and ran the bike 15 miles for me after a recent maintenance. Of course the check engine light / codes didn't come on for him when he did this. LOL. Only me after I got home.
I guess I don't understand why, if this issue did not exist before the install, the shop isn't clearing up the problem for you. Done properly, you should not have this issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by strych9:
Meanface (05-17-2023), pgreer (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Meanface
Cruiser

I just checked my connections, they aren't reversed. I even mad sure my head pipe was seated and the hardware was tightened. At this point it's gotta be the tune, in my opinion.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:40 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 321 Posts

The MOCO screwed us, they stopped supporting the Screamin Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Even if you follow the steps, make sure the software download is fresh, hook everything up per the instructions, it will start throwing codes, some of which make no sense.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:47 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
I guess I don't understand why, if this issue did not exist before the install, the shop isn't clearing up the problem for you. Done properly, you should not have this issue.
Completely agree with above. I assume this isn’t a friend doing you a favor and you paid good money for parts and labor. Troubleshooting this shouldn’t fall on you!

Old 05-19-2023, 07:50 PM
Meanface
Cruiser

Ugh. It's amazing. It's a product they created. Why'd they stop? Any idea?

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
The MOCO screwed us, they stopped supporting the Screamin Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Even if you follow the steps, make sure the software download is fresh, hook everything up per the instructions, it will start throwing codes, some of which make no sense.

Quick Reply: DCTs after Stage II