Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No Spark & Dont Know Why

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 06:31 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts
Default No Spark & Dont Know Why

2013 FLHTK Limited ANV Stage 1 with Woods 555 Cams, V&H Power Duals and Monster Ovals with Power Commander Piggy Back Tuner

Ran great last time out, put up then would not start next day. Noted fuel pump cycling as expected but tank level was low, fuel light was not on. Added some gasoline just to raise level in tank and tried to restart. No change. Removed air cleaner cover and sprayed some starting fluid on K&N filter while cranking..... no change. Removed and replaced plugs noting plugs looked great, replaced anyway. Still no start. Disconnected 1 plug wire at a time and installed removed plugs with ground wire attached to base. No spark either plug. Removed seat and disconnected both ends Power Commander, reapplied dielectric grease and reconnected. cycled ignition and kill switch noting Power Commander cycling through self check and resting at green led ready for use. Still no start. removed and replaced crank position sensor... still no start.
What ever failed failed over-nite just sitting there so what is missing to trigger the coil to fire?

Old 05-10-2023, 06:57 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,664 Likes on 989 Posts

You need compression to get newer bikes to spark, the older days of pulling a plug and grounding it no longer work. You need an inline spark tester to check them, one like this:
Amazon Amazon

Ether should also be sprayed in to the throttle body, spraying it on the air filter doesn't work.

Before chasing your tail thinking it's spark, retest with the 2 methods above.

The following users liked this post:
dynoking (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 08:30 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks, didnt realize they were using compression sense technology.

Sounds like I can just connect my old timing light up to the battery and clip the pickup coil on each spark plug wire to see if the timing light is triggered

Old 05-10-2023, 08:37 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Just stick an extra plug in the wire and ground it.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:41 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Yeah, Leave the plugs in and use an extra to check spark.. You do need compression on the rear cylinder for the ignition to fire. Stuck exhaust valve?

Old 05-10-2023, 12:01 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Yes, I had plugs in both cylinders and used another plug to test with no spark and yes it has excellent compression both cylinders.

Purchased an inline spark tester at lunch. Gonna see if I have spark with it tonite and if not, start disassembling from ECM through battery to Coil looking for damaged wires.....

Old 05-11-2023, 08:10 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Purchased inline spark tester finding no spark front or rear plugs. Removed ECM, tray, battery, plug wires and coil finding no hint of rodent damage to wires or no obvious reason for no spark. Reassembled everything and tried spark test again finding no spark. Removed Power Commander from ECM and connected ECM as per factory. Retested again no spark. Reassembled Power Commander and reset ECM. Tested again finding no spark.

1 - Fuel Pump is cycled with power
2 - Power Commander red and green LED cycle during startup test landing on Green LED for no Error
3 - Red Key Light on Speedo cycles on and off at startup as per normal indicating no issue with security
4 - Engine cranks as normal with normal compression
5 - Everything seems normal and no obvious issues but, coil is not getting signal to fire......

Old 05-11-2023, 09:41 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Purchased inline spark tester finding no spark front or rear plugs. Removed ECM, tray, battery, plug wires and coil finding no hint of rodent damage to wires or no obvious reason for no spark. Reassembled everything and tried spark test again finding no spark. Removed Power Commander from ECM and connected ECM as per factory. Retested again no spark. Reassembled Power Commander and reset ECM. Tested again finding no spark.

1 - Fuel Pump is cycled with power
2 - Power Commander red and green LED cycle during startup test landing on Green LED for no Error
3 - Red Key Light on Speedo cycles on and off at startup as per normal indicating no issue with security
4 - Engine cranks as normal with normal compression
5 - Everything seems normal and no obvious issues but, coil is not getting signal to fire......

I have to say this is an excellent statement of your troubleshooting process.

It sounds like everything is working so far, ECM, system relay, starter, etc.

The next thing that I'd try is this. Do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds after cranking. If so then I'd look for power to the ignition coil. If not, I'd suspect the cranks sensor or the wires going from the sensor to the ECU. It's possible that the ECU input is bad but the only easy way to trouble shoot that is by either swapping or setting up a dianotice monitor on the ECU.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:18 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

First thing is check the diagnostic codes, videos on youtube. Then go from there and report back.

Ride safe!!

Old 05-15-2023, 01:05 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

No Codes I am able to see. It is my understanding a deeper review of codes is only seen with the H-D Diagnostic tool. Gonna tuck tail and load it up to take to dealership where I expect they will plug in and tell me what its gonna cost me to play.

This is the 1st time in my over 40 years riding 6 different Harley's that I cannot troubleshoot and fix my problem. Very Humbling.

Quick Reply: No Spark & Dont Know Why