Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No Spark & Dont Know Why

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 02:59 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
No Codes I am able to see. It is my understanding a deeper review of codes is only seen with the H-D Diagnostic tool. Gonna tuck tail and load it up to take to dealership where I expect they will plug in and tell me what its gonna cost me to play.

This is the 1st time in my over 40 years riding 6 different Harley's that I cannot troubleshoot and fix my problem. Very Humbling.
The next thing that I'd try is this. Do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds after cranking.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:30 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Funny you should ask that.... I was noting fuel pump on before trying to start and tried 1 last time before loading into trailer. I cant say that I verified it was running after cranking though.

The 1st thing the service manager noted was the fuel pump is now not running when the key is turned on. A new failure mode and all I did was load it and transport it 35 miles.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:33 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

I own 3 Harleys and my 2 Twin Cams are both at the same dealer, the '03 with a spun stator trashed case so need new cases with HD VIN stamp and the '13 with no fire. Only thing left is the '81 Shovelhead Sturgis. The 42 year old bike is the only thing that still works....

Old Faithful!

Old 05-22-2023, 06:30 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Problem solved - Dealership found the security system module tripped and for some reason the fuel pump relay that was working fine before I loaded in trailer had stopped working when unloaded at dealership. Replaced 2 modules and would start but poor performance. Found Power Commander V was faulted. Removed PCV and had better performance but stock tune. Replaced with Power Vision and dyno'd at 95hp, 108 Tq.

When I was trouble shooting I noticed 1 battery terminal was loose. I am thinking that loose battery terminal started the chain of events eventually faulting out 2 modules and the PCV. Of course when I installed the battery after checking the coil the damage was already done. I dont think I had checked the battery since it was installed in 2020. Seems I should make that part of my annual preventive maintenance.