Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2004 road king efi with very high idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 08:52 PM
Reelitin
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 road king efi with very high idle

I’ve owned bike about a year. All been good until about 3 weeks ago. Idle was real low for 2 short rides, then I got on and it was back to normal. Last week, idle went to real high and has stayed there. 2000-3000rpm high. No codes are stored. I assumed it was either TPS or IAC. Replaced both of them and still same issue. I checked for an intake leak by fogging it with propane around injector and intake. No change. I then decided to watch the iac and noticed that it doesn’t move down when key is turned on as it should. Brand new iac. I then used my meter to check if it is getting power. I am getting roughly 10.5 volts across pin 1-2, 1-3,1-4, 2-3, but pin 3-4 is 0.57 when I turn key on run.
does anyone know what the readings should be across these pins? Am I in the right ballpark? Any other suggestions anyone has? I have read many posts and tried the reset iac by key on/off 4 times.
thanks
Edit:
2004 road king efi 37k miles

Old 03-27-2023, 10:27 PM
jjdaly
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Reelitin
I’ve owned bike about a year. All been good until about 3 weeks ago. Idle was real low for 2 short rides, then I got on and it was back to normal. Last week, idle went to real high and has stayed there. 2000-3000rpm high. No codes are stored. I assumed it was either TPS or IAC. Replaced both of them and still same issue. I checked for an intake leak by fogging it with propane around injector and intake. No change. I then decided to watch the iac and noticed that it doesn’t move down when key is turned on as it should. Brand new iac. I then used my meter to check if it is getting power. I am getting roughly 10.5 volts across pin 1-2, 1-3,1-4, 2-3, but pin 3-4 is 0.57 when I turn key on run.
does anyone know what the readings should be across these pins? Am I in the right ballpark? Any other suggestions anyone has? I have read many posts and tried the reset iac by key on/off 4 times.
thanks
Edit:
2004 road king efi 37k miles
pretty sure there's no iac init sequence. isc on marelli had one though, none for delphi.

don't know the voltages either, but the .57 is probably variable since the number of steps for different bikes can be different. and the pintle doesn't necessarily move if it's at the right spot already. turn the key on ignition on and off and you might hear a motorized noise which would be the iac. the iac stops at a certain point when the engine is shut off, depending on temperature. turning it back on right away may not cause any movement.

to your problem, most likely an intake leak. or you've got a wiring issue. check the ecu pins. one of the iac pins is pin 18 on the corner which could break if someone was careless in removing that big plug.