Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyno Tune or Thundermax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 10:35 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcrafty
If it can't, someone forgot to tell my Tmax!
I think the biggest hang-up is understanding what is meant by "Auto-Tune". It AUTOmatically adjusts the A/F ratio to whatever is prescribed in the tables.
Using terminology like the bold type is what I believe perpetuates the misconception about tuning devices, it's not changing the AFR it's adjusting the multipliers to change the pulse with of the injector based on feedback of the O2 sensors to target the programmed AFR table

It doesn't AUTOmatically OPTIMIZE the A/F ratio for best performance and fuel economy according to YOUR bike. Neither does any other tuner, OEM, or aftermarket.
This I agree with to a certain extent, "autotune" is a misleading term for a process used to adjust your VE and really is only a first step of a tuning process

Tell it what you want (timing & A/F ratio) and it'll make it happen. And, a whole lot more too. IMHO.
can you elaborate on this?

Old 01-12-2024, 09:12 AM
DiamondYoda
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by south69
Just installed a 124 kit in 2017 107 M8 road glide. Looking for tuning options. Local dyno guy said he would flash a tune on the dyno for $850. Been looking up other options and the Thundermax pops up a lot.

Would you go a dyno flash or go thundermax?

or what about the powervision? With auto tune
wait until you can go to a bike show and watch them tune your bike on a dyno. These shops probably just down load a map and take your $800. Or if they let you watch them do the dyno at your local shop, then ok. Otherwise, be careful!

Old 01-13-2024, 08:00 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

​​​​​​Wow! I don't even know where to start. So I won't. Besides, it looks like Fat11Lo has it under control dispelling yet another myth here.

QUOTE=DiamondYoda;21523403]wait until you can go to a bike show and watch them tune your bike on a dyno. These shops probably just down load a map and take your $800. Or if they let you watch them do the dyno at your local shop, then ok. Otherwise, be careful![/quote]
This doesn't even deserve a response.
​​​​​
​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-13-2024 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:07 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Wow! I don't even know where to start. So I won't. Besides, it looks like Fat11Lo has it under control dispelling yet another myth here.
Another lamb for the herd...
​​​
Then don't. Cuz you don't know what you are talking about 1/2 the time anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
harpwrench (01-13-2024), jbarr1 (01-13-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 07:56 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Then don't. Cuz you don't know what you are talking about 1/2 the time anyway.
I'm not the one who's engine ended up in pieces. Are you?
Must be your L33T tuning skills that are better than a competent tuner with a dyno, huh?
Or maybe the stock pump and plate that you say couldn't be better.

The Thundermax is great but you still need a tuner with a dyno or you're just guessing at some fine tuning that can make the difference between a good tune that runs good and an optimized tune that runs great and gets good mpg. Some people will just insist on spending money on a build then skimp on the part that makes it all work best to save a few hundred bucks.
​​​

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-14-2024 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:11 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm not the one who's engine ended up in pieces. Are you?
Must be your L33T tuning skills that are better than a competent tuner with a dyno, huh?
Or maybe the stock pump and plate that you say couldn't be better.

The Thundermax is great but you still need a tuner with a dyno or you're just guessing at some fine tuning that can make the difference between a good tune that runs good and an optimized tune that runs great and gets good mpg. Some people will just insist on spending money on a build then skimp on the part that makes it all work best to save a few hundred bucks.
​​​
Never had a tune that's blown a motor up.

The following users liked this post:
rigidthumper (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 05:45 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Why is the Tmax always talked about as it won't benefit being in the hands of a professional tuner? On a $30,000 machine designed to hold bike in steady state for tuning and gives the operator feedback that can't be gotten anywhere else.

IMO one of the best features about Tmax. It's live tuning and no reason to shut down the bike for a reflash. The biggest downfall. Alpha n ignition. Not that one needs to 100% agree but how can one evaluate if not understanding these assets and liabilities?
I don't ever think I've read or heard that Tmax won't benefit from running on a dyno.. One of the best things about tmax is that you can tune on a dyno if you have one.. Change AFR / timing on the fly.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:08 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

​​​​​​Wow! I don't even know where to start. So I won't. Besides, it looks like Fat11Lo has it under control dispelling yet another myth here.​
My issue isn't with Thundermax, but the "autotune" myth. Thundermax has been a a capable tuner in the right hands and is very useful in boosted applications. I only have one experience using it and it does learn and when you apply the corrections the bike does improve. I used it on a Zipper's cam install and the corrections were not that drastic, wish I had more time to play with it. But I believe just as with any other tuning device you have to have a good starting map and you have to have developed enough knowledge to know when things are not right and stop instead of keep riding the bike. My biggest fear with this "autotune" marketing is that a person spends good money on engine mods believes the "autotune" is going to give them the same results as a dyno tune and goes out riding their bike and destroys their new parts thinking the "autotune" is going to fix their bike

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 10:59 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,463 Likes on 3,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
My issue isn't with Thundermax, but the "autotune" myth. Thundermax has been a a capable tuner in the right hands and is very useful in boosted applications. I only have one experience using it and it does learn and when you apply the corrections the bike does improve. I used it on a Zipper's cam install and the corrections were not that drastic, wish I had more time to play with it. But I believe just as with any other tuning device you have to have a good starting map and you have to have developed enough knowledge to know when things are not right and stop instead of keep riding the bike. My biggest fear with this "autotune" marketing is that a person spends good money on engine mods believes the "autotune" is going to give them the same results as a dyno tune and goes out riding their bike and destroys their new parts thinking the "autotune" is going to fix their bike
The thing is you have to have some knowledge as to what a build required... Think about it, when there was nothing but carbureted bikes we threw together some parts and said **** I'm probably going to need at least this much jetting because I'm moving this much CFM and my RPM range has changed also.. oh yeah and I'm probably going to need a little less or a little more timing depending on what my spark plugs tell.. All right again you're going to need to have some knowledge and how to read them to get the proper adjustments just like anything in life...

I will go with the rule of thumb that there is no real auto tune.. It still requires user input..
The same can be said with tuning a bike on a dyno.. If the user input is negligible, so is the tune..

The following 3 users liked this post by 98hotrodfatboy:
Fat11Lo (01-16-2024), HDOflhx (01-16-2024), porkster (01-20-2024)