Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyno Tune or Thundermax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 02:16 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Why do so many people here think a dyno tune is not necessary with the Thundermax?

Old 03-17-2023, 02:23 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

Most likely due to the marketing behind the TMax product. They say install it and let it learn and you're good. The igntion timing is not addressed at all in the auto tuning with the TMax, which, to me, makes setting up the igintion on the dyno a must do thing in order to get everything out of the build.
m

The following 2 users liked this post by marcodarq:
FLTRI17 (03-19-2023), porkster (03-19-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 03:47 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by marcodarq
Most likely due to the marketing behind the TMax product. They say install it and let it learn and you're good. The igntion timing is not addressed at all in the auto tuning with the TMax, which, to me, makes setting up the igintion on the dyno a must do thing in order to get everything out of the build.
m
Exactly...

Old 03-17-2023, 09:40 PM
south69
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Decided gonna take it in to get it dyno'd

Old 03-18-2023, 06:40 AM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

a dyno tune session is the best STARTING POINT, then a device that can datalog a ride to verify REAL WORLD CONDITIONS is the better option...then adjustments can be made to the tune that dial in ACTUAL RIDING simulation. even the dyno is only 98% accurate.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:02 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
m

That's BS.. While tmax can get you close without a dyno. Probably closer performance wise and faster than with messing with autotunes on a speed density system, a dyno speeds the process up and can get closer to optimal performance.

Still dynos are only a tool.. Even motors that show more HP / TQ on a dyno than another bike on the same dyno will get smoked at the track by the other bike.. You can't race dynos..

Old 03-19-2023, 06:25 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
That's BS.. While tmax can get you close without a dyno. Probably closer performance wise and faster than with messing with autotunes on a speed density system, a dyno speeds the process up and can get closer to optimal performance.

Still dynos are only a tool.. Even motors that show more HP / TQ on a dyno than another bike on the same dyno will get smoked at the track by the other bike.. You can't race dynos..
That is because of the human factor. Someone on the quickest bike will still lose in a race if he doesn't know how to race.
I agree about auto tunes. There is no such thing really. Nothing tunes itself automatically. Autotune is a catchy phrase.. Get a good base map and auto tune and no need for a dyno. It's a pipe dream many are sucked into and never know how much they are leaving on the table. Maybe a little maybe a lot. Maybe they don't really care.

​​​​

Old 03-19-2023, 07:47 AM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,902 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Why do so many people here think a dyno tune is not necessary with the Thundermax?
I would say that a dyno tune is not NECESSARY for Tmax. I will agree that a dyno tune is NECESSARY for Tmax to OPTIMIZE the running of your bike. There IS a difference!

That said, each bike has variations, even OEM ones. The tunes installed in H-Ds aren't OPTIMIZED for every bike either, are they? Aftermarket has a lot of variables that could change the base, and I understand some of how thorough a manufacturer's testing can be. That said, I wonder if only looking at air/fuel ratios, which one might be "better optimized" for better performance, OEM or Tmax?

I removed timing from that equation because that is a huge factor in optimization, and I do feel that Tmax's timing tables are pretty "safe". Before you crawl all over me about how important proper timing is to a good tune, I agree. But again, would be interesting to study both H-D's and Tmax's timing tables. Only because I don't know H-D's timing. Never had the opportunity to study it closely.

What Tmax DOES do well is allow someone the ability to make changes to a variety of parameters to get their bike running well for them. With power comes responsibility, but the ability to make changes without having to buy time (again) on a roller is a huge selling point for me. New part? That'll be another $400!

Last edited by Tcrafty; 03-19-2023 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:18 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
That is because of the human factor. Someone on the quickest bike will still lose in a race if he doesn't know how to race.
I agree about auto tunes. There is no such thing really. Nothing tunes itself automatically. Autotune is a catchy phrase.. Get a good base map and auto tune and no need for a dyno. It's a pipe dream many are sucked into and never know how much they are leaving on the table. Maybe a little maybe a lot. Maybe they don't really care.

​​​​
That's possible but still not always true. Easy to test by swapping bikes.. I'm talking about 2 guys with same skill.. If you you think a dyno is the final word, you are smokin the good stuff. One thing you probably don't unstrand is that the most common dyno DJ250i is still a inertial dyno.. It's like taking the motor out of your HD and putting it into a 300 lb / 0 wind drag motorcycle. Tuning will be different.

BTW, Have buds that race LSR. One thing they'll do is tune the bike near the salt flats and know that it will get them close. But then close only wins in horseshoes and hand grenades. They finish the tune on the flats.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:36 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
That's possible but still not always true. Easy to test by swapping bikes.. I'm talking about 2 guys with same skill.. If you you think a dyno is the final word, you are smokin the good stuff. One thing you probably don't unstrand is that the most common dyno DJ250i is still a inertial dyno.. It's like taking the motor out of your HD and putting it into a 300 lb / 0 wind drag motorcycle. Tuning will be different.

BTW, Have buds that race LSR. One thing they'll do is tune the bike near the salt flats and know that it will get them close. But then close only wins in horseshoes and hand grenades. They finish the tune on the flats.
I'm not arguing any of that. Only that dyno tuning is the best option we have. I would never have come close to realizing my builds potential without it and a competent tuner. Now he could only account for current conditions at the time. But I'm pretty sure he knows what works and what doesn't to account for different conditions and certain parameters. Especially timing. My bike hasn't pinged or pulled timing yet. At least not enough for me to notice. I don't data log all the time. I know it has parameters set to pull a little at a time under extreme engine/head temps.
​​​​

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Tcrafty
I would say that a dyno tune is not NECESSARY for Tmax. I will agree that a dyno tune is NECESSARY for Tmax to OPTIMIZE the running of your bike. There IS a difference!

That said, each bike has variations, even OEM ones. The tunes installed in H-Ds aren't OPTIMIZED for every bike either, are they? Aftermarket has a lot of variables that could change the base, and I understand some of how thorough a manufacturer's testing can be. That said, I wonder if only looking at air/fuel ratios, which one might be "better optimized" for better performance, OEM or Tmax?

I removed timing from that equation because that is a huge factor in optimization, and I do feel that Tmax's timing tables are pretty "safe". Before you crawl all over me about how important proper timing is to a good tune, I agree. But again, would be interesting to study both H-D's and Tmax's timing tables. Only because I don't know H-D's timing. Never had the opportunity to study it closely.

What Tmax DOES do well is allow someone the ability to make changes to a variety of parameters to get their bike running well for them. With power comes responsibility, but the ability to make changes without having to buy time (again) on a roller is a huge selling point for me. New part? That'll be another $400!
Most of us that spend the money we do on our bikes/engines are not going to settle for " safe". Safe is not optimal.
You could be leaving a lot on the table to be "safe" and not even know it without a dyno.
​​​​​I have seen tweaking the timing only account for a 2 or 3hp increase or as much as 10 to 12hp. The point is you don't know.

​​​​​​

​​

Last edited by 60Gunner; 03-19-2023 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tune or Thundermax?