Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Harley releases a new Screaming Eagle Pro Street Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 06:58 AM
RVTRKN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought a 2023 Tri Glide, I want the new SE pro tuner to see engine parameters, not to tune it, of coarse its like a kid in the candy shop. On my 2011 Ultra Limited I used Gauge Face to see head temps and other parameters. The new ECM's doesn't support GaugeFace, so I want to see the data on my phone with the new SE tuner. The good news is that the phone screen is a heck of a lot bigger than the iPhone 4 I had to use. GaugeFace only works with the older iPhone plug, and the inventor lost the business when apple changed to the lighting plug. The app is no longer available and if you didn't down load it when it was, then the hardware is useless.

I've read somewhere that the SE tuner doesn't work on the 2023 Tri Glide, is there any truth to this, I don't want to fork out the cash for it only to find out I can't use it. ?

I purchased Vessel View for my 150 ProXS mercury outboard to see info not available otherwise, and I want the same for the HD. I thought the Boom radio showed engine parameters, what a disappointment when I inquired about it at the local HD dealer. The Boom LCD screen would be perfect for the data to display, I guess HD missed the boat on that one.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:31 AM
jwt873
Road Warrior
Received 4,918 Likes on 1,109 Posts

If you go to the Harley site and use the 'does this fit' box, it shows the tuner fits the Tri-Glide.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ner/p/41001141

I'm still considering one.. I added a set of Screamin' Eagle Street Cannons and the SE intake. I know other tuners are better since they aren't constrained by EPA regs.. but I still have 4 years of warranty left (including my ESP).

The other thing is the BlueTooth connectivity. You can mount your phone on the handlebars and read stuff like engine temp, cyl head temp etc without having wires hanging.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:52 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,579 Likes on 1,814 Posts

The new BT SE unit only works on the 21 and newer big twin ECMs.
They show maps for stage 1 and stage 2 Torque, narrow and wideband (4 maps total) for the 23 TriGlide.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:40 AM
MileHighRedBird
Stage IV
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warning

I ran into a major issue Sunday and luckily was able to recover from it. While trying to run smart tune with my phone app, app crashed mid calibration. This wiped my ECM clean and I was then left with motorcycle that cranked and would not fire. Trailered the bike to the only open shop, and after a couple hours they recovered the ECM, tuned my base map, then brought me back to Stage 1.

I have an open concern sent to HD MoCo about this. What good is the mobile app if I can’t trust it? I am very satisfied with the Stage 1 tune, but hesitant to try running the smart tune app again.

I am considering adding the light back tuner, (Smart tune pro). Does anyone have any feedback on this?

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 09:34 AM
RVTRKN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder if it give coolant temps?

Old 04-05-2023, 12:22 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

The reason they made it work on the phone is it is cheaper to make.
Dynojet did it with PV4 to lower the cost because it uses your phone few expensive chip sets needed.
None of witch make it a better tuners.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:28 AM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,924 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHighRedBird
I ran into a major issue Sunday and luckily was able to recover from it. While trying to run smart tune with my phone app, app crashed mid calibration. This wiped my ECM clean and I was then left with motorcycle that cranked and would not fire. Trailered the bike to the only open shop, and after a couple hours they recovered the ECM, tuned my base map, then brought me back to Stage 1.

I have an open concern sent to HD MoCo about this. What good is the mobile app if I can’t trust it? I am very satisfied with the Stage 1 tune, but hesitant to try running the smart tune app again.

I am considering adding the light back tuner, (Smart tune pro). Does anyone have any feedback on this?
I'll be using the bluetooth phone app to collect data only. Pass the recorded road data to the computer application for analysis and tuning. Flash tune files with the cable connection.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:28 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,463 Likes on 3,641 Posts

For another $250 you can get the PV and unlock everything.. And if you purchase from Fuel Moto you'll get really great customer service... No brainier...

Old 04-06-2023, 02:12 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,890 Likes on 3,702 Posts

I heard a report (unsubstantiated) that the new SE Pro Tuner is not working on some '23 m/y bikes. Seems to be a software issue. I have the tuner, but waiting for my bike to come in.

My source for this information was a HD sales person in Georgia that was doing a quick 2023 Breakout review on a sold bike. The dealer had installed a Bassani Road Rage 3 pipe (I'm doing the same) on the bike prior to delivery. He states the techs could not get the SE tuner to work on the bike and they used the HD Tech hardware instead.

Guess I'm going to find out. Hopefully sooner than later.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:48 PM
Wmitz
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Cole mentioned something to the effect that the 23 touring bikes cannot use the tunes from 22. I wonder if HD screwed up the software in the new tuners for the 23’s.

Quick Reply: Harley releases a new Screaming Eagle Pro Street Tuner