Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Harley releases a new Screaming Eagle Pro Street Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 07:17 PM
benscratchin
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,651 Likes on 4,766 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle Super Tuner Pro (Orange):

I've got nothing on the new SE Tuners, so I guess this is a thread Hijack.

I'm trying to figure out how, and if I should re-flash my bike. I bought the cables, I have the Tuner, and have downloaded the H-D Pro Street Tuner software onto my computer. Now I'm doing the research needed to figure out what to do next.

I just found and read through this thread today. I'm pretty sure that I should re- flash my ECM, and even ride my bike a bit with the Tuner attached in order to retune my bike correctly... My question is, can I not do any fuel/air mixture adjustments with the tuner I have?

To my untrained eyes, the spark plugs seem to be burning lean. I was hoping to be able to richen the fuel/air mixture, in hopes of running a little cooler.

I bought a 2012 FLHX back in 2013 with 5000 miles on it. It was completely stock.
I had the H-D dealer install a V&H Power Duals headpipe, Kromeworks slip-ons and a SE Big Sucker air breather. They sold me the Screaming Eagle Super Tuner Pro (orange) tuner and did the tune for me. I have since changed the Headpipe and Slip-ons. The bike runs fine for me, I just want a proper tune for this configuration.

I now have 33,900 miles on the bike and have changed the headpipe and slip-ons only. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by benscratchin; 03-24-2023 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Hi-jack
Old 03-29-2023, 08:17 AM
Bproctor
Cruiser

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I just ordered this tuner (PN 41001141) myself. Let's premise that with saying that I only have a K&N Air Cleaner and Shark Road slip-ons. It will be a very long time before I get into anything more such as cams or other engine upgrades, so spending a G or voiding my three year warranty is out of the question at this point in time. So no need to harp on me about better tuners or such. What I would like to know is if anyone else has one yet and what are your thoughts on it. Watching the videos from Harley shows it monitoring things I like to keep an eye on in real time. Currently I am using torque pro with an ODB reader, but I am questioning that the PIDs are actually correct. For instance, torque shows oil temp, but I am told there isn't an oil temp sensor on the M8. With the temps ranging from 180 to 220 I am thinking it's actually reading an engine temp sensor. Someone smarter will have to confirm. I am also watching my fuel trims very closely. Toque typically reads higher values on the bank 2 LT than it does bank 1. Short term on both spend more time closer to 0%, but bank 2 long term will spend a lot of time closer to 10%. Hence, why I bought this tuner. I am hoping I can tone down a little of it running lean and even it out a little. Plus I have been averaging around 40mpg since rolling the bike out of the dealership. The air cleaner nor slip-ons seemed to have much affect on it. Thanks for any input, and hopefully in a couple years I will get caught up to a lot of you guy's level with the performance upgrades. Just not ready to sell kidneys, kids, or testies yet.

Last edited by Bproctor; 03-29-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:32 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,579 Likes on 1,814 Posts

The bad news:
This new tuner has the same EPA restrictions that the older version has, which means you cannot change the AFR/Lambda request. Limited to a small % change in the VE tables in the closed loop areas.
The good news:
The new bikes don't have lean issues like the early twin cams had. They run well, fairly efficient, with good durability, and all the testing I've done shows the engine actually follows the ECM programming requests fairly well. I wouldn't be concerned with white plugs- these combustion chambers work fairly well, so there's less residue on the plug when burning efficiently.
Flash the stage 1 map with your tuner, just to avoid warranty issues over the next XX years (until you void warranty, warranty expires, or you trade.
Run smart tune if you wish to learn how/if it works (or just bored).

The following users liked this post:
Bproctor (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 01:38 PM
Bproctor
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
The bad news:
This new tuner has the same EPA restrictions that the older version has, which means you cannot change the AFR/Lambda request. Limited to a small % change in the VE tables in the closed loop areas.
The good news:
The new bikes don't have lean issues like the early twin cams had. They run well, fairly efficient, with good durability, and all the testing I've done shows the engine actually follows the ECM programming requests fairly well. I wouldn't be concerned with white plugs- these combustion chambers work fairly well, so there's less residue on the plug when burning efficiently.
Flash the stage 1 map with your tuner, just to avoid warranty issues over the next XX years (until you void warranty, warranty expires, or you trade.
Run smart tune if you wish to learn how/if it works (or just bored).
Thanks. Sounds like a good start for me.

Old 03-29-2023, 03:20 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,890 Likes on 3,702 Posts

I bought one of the new Bluetooth SE tuners. I need it simply to dial in a full 2/1 exhaust. I plan to go no further, and for a change, want to keep the warranty intact. I can always change it up if I decide to do something differently down the road after my 2-year warranty expires.

Yes, it's limited in scope. I had a PV2 Dynojet tuner for my aftermarket Stage IV build on my '17 RGS. Fantastic tool, and added Target Tune later on. An extensible tuner was required for that build. For my needs on my '23 Breakout, it already has an SE Heavy Breather from the factory. I'm adding the Bassani Road Rage III to make it sound like a Harley. I'm not searching for extra power. I just want to dial things in to maintain the power and torque the bike was born with, and also the driveability. No more, no less. The SE tuner will more than satisfy that need. It would also allow for expansion with SE cams and big-bore kits if I wanted to go that direction, though I doubt I would. Should I desire to go bigger later on, I'll call my friends @ Fuel Moto and get my go fast parts, and a new tuner, from them.

The following 2 users liked this post by strych9:
rigidthumper (03-29-2023), SteveDotWorld (03-31-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 09:57 AM
MileHighRedBird
Stage IV
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help!

22 SGS, only 3 months into ownership. Keeping my warranty. K&N air cleaner with HD ventilator, and 4 inch Monster rounds V&H slip ons. Adding a Bassani head pipe soon. Last night I bought the New BCI pro street tuner and the cable. Followed the directions for stage one install. I wrote the canned Stage 1 tune in successfully, but haven’t road tested it yet. I have a couple questions.

1. Does the BCI tuner have to remain plugged into the DLC port full time? Or can remove after successfully tuning?

2. BCI connected very easily to my laptop with cable, but I keep getting Bluetooth errors when removing Y cable, directly plugging into DLC port, and attempting to connect to app. I should be allowed to connect to both hardwire device and a separate Bluetooth device correct?

3. If I’m understanding the training video correctly, I can put my BCI into record mode, take the bike through progressions in all gears on open road, then come back on fine tune (overwrite) the canned Stage 1 map, correct?

Old 04-01-2023, 10:43 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,579 Likes on 1,814 Posts

1. No
2. If you use the cable, you should turn BT off so. If using BT only, you may have to reset the BT connection (unpair/repair).
https://hdstcdn.service-solutions.co...ser-Manual.pdf
3. Yes, within the limits of the tuner.

Old 04-01-2023, 06:27 PM
MileHighRedBird
Stage IV

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
1. No
2. If you use the cable, you should turn BT off so. If using BT only, you may have to reset the BT connection (unpair/repair).
https://hdstcdn.service-solutions.co...ser-Manual.pdf
3. Yes, within the limits of the tuner.
Right on. Well I hit a bit of a snag. The dealer is calling HD MC, and getting an answer. My issue is the cable connection works perfect. When I try to pair the app with the BCI, my app gives me the error that BCI is paired to another Mobile. That’s not possible on my part. I removed the BCI from the bag, and it never connected to anything else. I’ve tried the unpairing process in the manual, and nothing works to “unpair” and “pair” my device.

I tied to reset/reprogram the BCI, but the laptop app doesn’t give me the option. It so far has worked extremely well, on the laptop with a cabled connection.

my issue is I need the Mobil option so I can hit record, and take it for a “track run” and dial in the tune. I’ll update the group here as soon as I resolve

Old 04-01-2023, 07:24 PM
Bproctor
Cruiser

This didn't work? It's from the installation instructions.

rigidthumper (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:07 AM
MileHighRedBird
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Bproctor

This didn't work? It's from the installation instructions.
Tried it again this morning. Paired with app, perfect. Headed out for a ride and going to try smart tune. Installed my Bassani head pipe last night. Good times

rigidthumper (04-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Harley releases a new Screaming Eagle Pro Street Tuner