Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Who is running a Thundermax tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 05:18 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper_man
I've been running the Thundermaxx on my 2014 for about 3 years now. Absolutely zero issues with it. Took care of me thru all my upgrades.
How did you address ignition timing?

Old 03-11-2023, 08:22 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,664 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
How did you address ignition timing?
I think this is what you are asking, but honestly not sure.

Every time a different mod was done the shop went in and did a new base map, I then had to drive it for a week or so then go back there and they re-wrote it, did this around 3 times. He showed me but I didn't understand it too much. Showed me the curves at different RPM's where it was pulling or adding timing (I think). He then highlighted these small blocks along the curve and moved them up or down. Then saved the map. I remember something about it only being able to adjust XX% from the set point.

60 Gunner as in the pig or tank? M60 tank here!

Old 03-11-2023, 09:19 AM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,901 Likes on 850 Posts

I've had Tmax on two of my bikes. Both have worked well. The OP says he's famililar with HPTuners, so he knows about keeping a tune safe (I assume).

Both of my systems have been on early TC88s, so I'm sure there are differences with the much newer bikes, but I still hold that the tuning system is sound. As mentioned, Tmax will adjust fueling, but only to what it is TOLD. You change the A/F ratio at every RPM. WHERE in that RPM screen you adjust it compensates for load by indicating how far open the throttle blades will be. As you turn the throttle, the line works its way to the right of the screen. To the left is IDLE, far right is WOT at that particular RPM. When you think of it that way, the bulb comes on pretty quickly in your head. It is different than studying kPa, but you can get used to it pretty quickly. I did a thread on adding Tmax to both of my bikes. Like the OP, I've used other (automotive) tuning software (Holley EFI) and adjusted pretty well.

Installing ThunderMax on my '05 Springer

I have read quite a few threads about Tmax. Some of them have great information and some just don't understand how the system works, or how tuning in general works. There are several ways to tune our bikes and for me, Thundermax is definitely one of them.

The following users liked this post:
wilburbill (03-13-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 12:07 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper_man
I think this is what you are asking, but honestly not sure.

Every time a different mod was done the shop went in and did a new base map, I then had to drive it for a week or so then go back there and they re-wrote it, did this around 3 times. He showed me but I didn't understand it too much. Showed me the curves at different RPM's where it was pulling or adding timing (I think). He then highlighted these small blocks along the curve and moved them up or down. Then saved the map. I remember something about it only being able to adjust XX% from the set point.

60 Gunner as in the pig or tank? M60 tank here!
The pig...Charlie 2/14 never leave home without it.
Sucked humping it thru the jungle but when it came time to rock 'n' roll...
Of course the jungle wasn't an issue in The Mog. ..just the f'n sand.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 03-11-2023 at 12:19 PM.
chopper_man (03-11-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 11:26 PM
porkster
Club Member
Received 200 Likes on 145 Posts

Got one on my 22 Street Glide, takes a little getting used to but I like it. Doubtful I'd ever go back to a Power Vision.

wilburbill (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 10:14 AM
wilburbill
Road Captain
Received 430 Likes on 185 Posts

I think my biggest worry is lack of knock sensing ability of the Thundermax tuner/ecm.. Most of the time if the timing is setup correctly I don't see an issue but those few times in extreme heat or load, it's nice to know with the OEM ecm that there at least is some spark retard available.. That has me on the fence on getting one..

Last edited by wilburbill; 03-13-2023 at 10:16 AM.