Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike Wont Take A Tune With New Cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 07:32 PM
Twenty_One
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Bike Wont Take A Tune With New Cam

We are scratching our heads here. I have a 22 Street Glide ST with RDRS 117 with factory heavy breather, and Bassani Road Rage 2-into-1. It has 4000 miles on it.

So I decided to go with an S&S 475 Cam kit with the plate and oil pump and a PowerVision tune to replace to Screamin Eagle Street tune it had previously. When I got the bike back, it was almost unrideable. The bottom end felt extremely rich and taking off from a stop took a lot of revving and clutch slip or it would bog down. It was like trying to take off in third gear. After 2k RPM, it would start to clean up. We tried 3 different base tunes(for science) and then I brought it to the dyno.

The shop with the dyno has had it for a week and they cannot get rid of that bog from idle to 2k. They have started with a couple different base maps and have spent hours on the phone with DynoJet tinkering with every possibility they could think of. Higher RPM riding feels fine, but getting going from a stop is still completely screwed up.

The shop mentioned something about making changes to the map and then hooking up the factory o2 sensors and then the bike starts reverting back to a richer setting? This was relayed second hand, so I need to hear it direct from the guy tuning it but the last time I spoke to him directly, he was wondering if tuning is even the issue. Is there anything that could have happened during the cam install that could cause this specific issue? Is there a tuning trick for the new bikes? He has not done any V-Twin newer than 2019 at that shop, as they mostly do sport bikes.

I've gone over everything in my head. Dirty air cleaner at 4k miles? It looks clean and free of oil. Bad spark? It would have issues throughout the range. I'm totally stumped and so are they.

Last edited by Twenty_One; 01-26-2023 at 07:35 PM.

Top Answer

02-06-2023, 09:23 PM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

WE DID IT.

I removed the exhaust baffle and lugged my way over to the tuner. He loaded the Fuel Moto tune in and now it runs GREAT. I'll still likely have it dyno tuned off of FM's base map at some point, but I can't believe how much better this bike runs.

In order to get the bike to stop stumbling, the lasy dyno tuner took all of the life out of this bike throughout the whole range. I had gotten used to riding it like that, so after putting in that FM tune, I'm high as a kite off of adrenaline. I'm perfectly happy with the low end torque, and pleasantly surprised at how much pull this thing has at around 3k-3.5k.

Thank you all for recommending@fuelmoto . I wish I had done this a month ago.

Last edited by Twenty_One; 02-06-2023 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:53 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,254 Likes on 3,410 Posts

Contact Fuel Moto, they will get a snapshot from your PowerVision, and set you up with a canned tune. You will have to pay for it if you did not buy the PV from them, but it will be totally worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
gonemad (01-26-2023), smitty901 (01-27-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 08:32 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Deleted.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 01-26-2023 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:34 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

I've seen fuelmoto mention if you're getting a tune from them and your bike has the rdrs? System that you need tell them that. Something about disabling the rdrs before tuning then turning it back on. So my guess rdrs is messing with the tune

Old 01-26-2023, 09:16 PM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. He was disabling RDRS as far as I know, but I'll make sure to mention it. I don't want to pay fuel moto quite yet and toss out the $700 for the dyno tune. Are they charging $250?

Old 01-27-2023, 03:34 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I've seen fuelmoto mention if you're getting a tune from them and your bike has the rdrs? System that you need tell them that. Something about disabling the rdrs before tuning then turning it back on. So my guess rdrs is messing with the tune
Absolutely the rdrs will mess with it. On these bikes the ecm uses the throttle blade as part of the way to control power. The traction control has to be calibrated as it is set for stock power levels. As far as I know only the TTS has the ability to tune it. Other devices just use the "throttle blade trim" table to use the twist grip sensor to force the throttle blade to 100% @ wot. This does nothing for the rest of the tp's. These calibrations take a lot longer to tune properly.

The following 4 users liked this post by Lonewolf176:
alpneus (03-07-2023), rigidthumper (02-04-2023), sleighcrane (03-12-2023), Zedbra (01-28-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 03:47 AM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Absolutely the rdrs will mess with it. On these bikes the ecm uses the throttle blade as part of the way to control power. The traction control has to be calibrated as it is set for stock power levels. As far as I know only the TTS has the ability to tune it. Other devices just use the "throttle blade trim" table to use the twist grip sensor to force the throttle blade to 100% @ wot. This does nothing for the rest of the tp's. These calibrations take a lot longer to tune properly.

Well...damn. So let me see if I'm getting this straight; I need to scratch the DynoJet PowerVision and find a shop that uses MasterTune TTS, otherwise it won't be done correctly? What's the alternative? Permanently disabling TC? The guy at DynoJet CLAIMS he has done RDRS bikes before.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:52 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

In Fuel Moto's cam shoot out they did it on a 22 with RDRS
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...yno-114-a.html

Old 01-27-2023, 11:03 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
In Fuel Moto's cam shoot out they did it on a 22 with RDRS
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...yno-114-a.html
Yes but that's only wot.

Last edited by Lonewolf176; 01-27-2023 at 11:09 AM. Reason: add attatchment
Old 01-27-2023, 11:08 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twenty_One
Well...damn. So let me see if I'm getting this straight; I need to scratch the DynoJet PowerVision and find a shop that uses MasterTune TTS, otherwise it won't be done correctly? What's the alternative? Permanently disabling TC? The guy at DynoJet CLAIMS he has done RDRS bikes before.
Well I might be wrong (won't be first or last time) but as far as I know TTS is the only one. You can turn off the RDRS, but you have to do it every time. Problem is TTS is still on back order.

Quick Reply: Bike Wont Take A Tune With New Cam