Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike Wont Take A Tune With New Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 08:33 AM
Lorecapo
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGlide
If I'm not mistaking, the S&S 475 has slightly more lift than the Wood's 22XE, but seriously, I don't want the most-lift cam in my bike as if harder on the valve springs. I think either cam will work well beyond stage 2.. The SE447 cam in my 107 Road King, you can tell it's Cammed, but It's not aggressive enough to interrupt a conversation.. Its doing well, lots of low and mid RPM torque and power, and I don't see swapping it out in the future. I think the Wood's 22X cam would be very close to the SE447 cam in overall torque curve and performance (using aftermarket tuners)
I had the 465 on my previous bike (LRS 114) and I'd like to put the 475 on my new Standard (when I'll put the 119 conversion), but I'm scared by the strenght of the stock valve springs.
Could I run the 475 without changing them? I saw HD says that the S.E. ones are needed with cam over 470...

Old 04-17-2023, 10:02 AM
Twenty_One
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorecapo
I had the 465 on my previous bike (LRS 114) and I'd like to put the 475 on my new Standard (when I'll put the 119 conversion), but I'm scared by the strenght of the stock valve springs.
Could I run the 475 without changing them? I saw HD says that the S.E. ones are needed with cam over 470...
The 475 is drop-in. You don't need anything else aside from whats in the kit(like adjustable push rods), however I would definitely take care of the stock Harley Oil pump while you're in there. Harley is always going to suggest you buy SE parts at every turn.

Last edited by Twenty_One; 04-17-2023 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lorecapo (04-18-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 01:27 PM
Vipers Harley
Road Captain
Received 198 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorecapo
yes you can run the 475 with stock springs and no issues. I've seen several with many miles on them and no issues.

Lorecapo (05-24-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 01:41 PM
Vipers Harley
Road Captain
Received 198 Likes on 130 Posts

Fuel Moto does it again!!
with a base tune and it out done a so called "dyno tuner"

OP you should invest in a power vision so you are not paying the guy to flash your bike when you do future swaps. You can swap the cam yourself it's not that hard, fact Fuel moto has videos that walks you through the process.
Explains adjustable pushrods right down to a T. Videos on tuning, everything you would need right on their website.
You can get by without any special tools so long as the cam bearing was upgraded. (I swap bearing with new cam regardless) the tool is about 120.. worth owning if you want to do future swaps.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:04 AM
Chopjaw
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Twenty_One I have a 22 RGS and I put in a Wood 22XE that I bought from FM. I also have their tune in my bike. So far the bike runs pretty well. I'm going to Main Street to get my bike tuned for Vegas because I believe that my bike is running fat. I only suspect this because of the spark plugs. I pulled them before and after the Stage 2 install and the burn on the plugs says that I'm fat. I have a bog at 2050-2220RPM but I believe that it's from the open baffles on the Khrome Werks mufflers. I'm getting the 2.25" baffles to help with pressure.

I live in Henderson and I'd love to hear about who you used in Vegas. Was it R2 or Main Street.? If you don't want to put them on blast here, please DM me so I can have a better understanding.

Last edited by Chopjaw; 05-24-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:17 AM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chopjaw
@Twenty_One I have a 22 RGS and I put in a Wood 22XE that I bought from FM. I also have their tune in my bike. So far the bike runs pretty well. I'm going to Main Street to get my bike tuned for Vegas because I believe that my bike is running fat. I only suspect this because of the spark plugs. I pulled them before and after the Stage 2 install and the burn on the plugs says that I'm fat.

I'd love to hear about who you used in Vegas. Was it R2 or Main Street.?.
Speed Demon attempted the Dyno tune, and Crash Performance did the Cam.

I had Main Street do my 5k and some clutch adjustment after I installed 12" bars. They seemed like a great shop and I hear they do good tuning with RDRS bikes. All I know of R2 is that a couple Harley pages I follow on Instagram rave about their work.

Main Street should have done my tune in the first place. They were $600(since I already owned the DynoJet license) and Speed Demon was $450. I didn't find out until 2-3 weeks later that they had never touched a Harley before, let alone even heard of RDRS. They did their best and didn't charge me. The owner is a top notch street bike mechanic, they just don't know Harleys.

Did you install the cam yourself?

Last edited by Twenty_One; 05-24-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:24 AM
Chopjaw
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Twenty_One
Speed Demon attempted the Dyno tune, and Crash Performance did the Cam.

I had Main Street do my 5k and some clutch adjustment after I installed 12" bars. They seemed like a great shop and I hear they do good tuning with RDRS bikes. All I know of R2 is that a couple Harley pages I follow on Instagram rave about their work.

Main Street should have done my tune in the first place. They were $600(since I already owned the DynoJet license) and Speed Demon was $450. I didn't find out until 2-3 weeks later that they had never touched a Harley before, let alone even heard of RDRS.

Did you install the cam yourself?
No on the CAM. I have a guy that only works on HDs out of his garage, 3 bike lifts and he is always super busy. He does really good work. Most of his clients are returning customers.

The bog on my bike is a minor nascence, I just clutch alittle more to get through it. Plus I’m 100% sure it’s because of the open pipes. I’m running a PV3B with a target tune. If you want to do a cam swap, hit me up and I’ll give you his name.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:34 AM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chopjaw
No on the CAM. I have a guy that only works on HDs out of his garage, 3 bike lifts and he is always super busy. He does really good work. Most of his clients are returning customers.

The bog on my bike is a minor nascence, I just clutch alittle more to get through it. Plus I’m 100% sure it’s because of the open pipes. I’m running a PV3B with a target tune. If you want to do a cam swap, hit me up and I’ll give you his name.
If you think he can do it same-day. Then I'd be interested. I hear that the job is super easy once you have adjustable pushrods, so I was planning on just watching the FM video and swapping myself.

I'm a little concerned about your bog, as that's the biggest reason I wanted to do the swap. FM said that the RDRS bikes don't play very nice with S&S 475's. I don't plan on getting a more restrictive exhaust. Maybe another dyno after the swap. I'll wait and see what you think after your tune.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:45 AM
Chopjaw
6th Gear

If you think he can do it same-day. Then I'd be interested. I hear that the job is super easy once you have adjustable pushrods, so I was planning on just watching the FM video and swapping myself.

I'm a little concerned about your bog, as that's the biggest reason I wanted to do the swap. FM said that the RDRS bikes don't play very nice with S&S 475's. I don't plan on getting a more restrictive exhaust. Maybe another dyno after the swap. I'll wait and see what you think after your tune.
The Bog is a product of pressure or lack thereof from the cans. It's not a super big deal but one that I will be addressing with the Louvered baffles. After everything that I have read and talked to Khrome Werks, it is the M8 that needs to back pressure to remove the bog. I cannot speak for one day turnaround, he usually wants the bike for 2 days just to make sure that everything is done correctly.

I dont think the RDRS bikes care about S&S 475 cams. I have several friends with S&S 475s in their RDRS bikes with zero issues. I'm not sue how you think that. Sure there are some things that the tune has to know, having RDRS is one of them.

What exhaust are you running? I have some TAB's 4.5s with both zombie and 2.5 baffles that I took off for the Khrome Werks exhaust if you're interested..? Not that the TABs are bad, I went with KW for the look.

This is an old pic of my bike. I have since changed the intake and other things.

Last edited by Chopjaw; 05-24-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Max Headflow (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 10:53 AM
Chopjaw
6th Gear

The swap is pretty straight forward, I did several CAM jobs on other M8 bikes - for friends. I just didn't have the time to do it myself. Depending on your bike and year, 21 and up bike dont need the Plate and oil pump. It would be good for you to check your runout just to know what those numbers are. The hardest part of doing a CAM job is getting the lifters/Tappets oiled up correctly before you install and bleedout correctly so your lash is correct.

Quick Reply: Bike Wont Take A Tune With New Cam