Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike Wont Take A Tune With New Cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 01:12 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I think you have in mind what to do for best performance mapping the TGS to the TPS. I was thinking more along the lines of getting VE data for areas beyond optimum performance. Do they even need to be mapped?
I start by maxing out TP control table and do map VE's in this area. Not to perfection but a couple of iterations to get them close. With KPA VE tables. 100 kpa is what it is. TPS based VE's. You don't get into those cells and usually carry last cell VE out or do some type of blending out.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 02:05 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
I don't wanna comment on the FM map but as far as I know TTS is the only device capable of tuning the RDRS. Surprised FM hasn't made a comment or suggestion in this thread.
Power Vision can absolutely tune RDRS bike's, there are a half dozen tables in the software related to this. You don't even need a calibrator license to view & edit them, just make sure you have the latest software, firmware, & tune database and make sure the PV tune is updated in the software. There have been a great many tune definition & software updates over the past several years, updating your tune will sync everything together and current. Note: updating a tune requires a Power Vision device be plugged in.

While we don't have a crystal ball into what may be going on with the OP's bike we do have a known good calibration for this configuration that we work with frequently that should serve as a very good starting point. If necessary we'll have him get us some logs to diagnose further.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following users liked this post:
Glenn Gorman (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 02:26 PM
Twenty_One
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Power Vision can absolutely tune RDRS bike's, there are a half dozen tables in the software related to this. You don't even need a calibrator license to view & edit them, just make sure you have the latest software, firmware, & tune database and make sure the PV tune is updated in the software. There have been a great many tune definition & software updates over the past several years, updating your tune will sync everything together and current. Note: updating a tune requires a Power Vision device be plugged in.

While we don't have a crystal ball into what may be going on with the OP's bike we do have a known good calibration for this configuration that we work with frequently that should serve as a very good starting point. If necessary we'll have him get us some logs to diagnose further.
FM has been one of the best companies I've ever spoken with over the phone. Bob spent over an hour talking to me about this issue. You'll be getting all my business and all my praise. Lucas just reached out to me and let me know that I'd have my map before the end of the day. I'm excited to actually ride my motorcycle again.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:39 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Good news for the OP. I'll have to check but it hasn't been too long since I've updated the PV stuff.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:23 PM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

WE DID IT.

I removed the exhaust baffle and lugged my way over to the tuner. He loaded the Fuel Moto tune in and now it runs GREAT. I'll still likely have it dyno tuned off of FM's base map at some point, but I can't believe how much better this bike runs.

In order to get the bike to stop stumbling, the lasy dyno tuner took all of the life out of this bike throughout the whole range. I had gotten used to riding it like that, so after putting in that FM tune, I'm high as a kite off of adrenaline. I'm perfectly happy with the low end torque, and pleasantly surprised at how much pull this thing has at around 3k-3.5k.

Thank you all for recommending@fuelmoto . I wish I had done this a month ago.

Last edited by Twenty_One; 02-06-2023 at 09:25 PM.
The following 16 users liked this post by Twenty_One:
98hotrodfatboy (02-07-2023), Fat11Lo (02-07-2023), FM_Lucas (02-07-2023), fuelmoto (02-07-2023), Glenn Gorman (02-06-2023), Hammerhead Pat (02-07-2023), hrdtail78 (02-07-2023), JP7 (02-08-2023), Lammy1000 (02-07-2023), luckiestiff (02-07-2023), Max Headflow (02-06-2023), rideonva (02-13-2023), scott_0 (02-07-2023), Slingshot383 (02-07-2023), TpaGreenHornet (02-06-2023), Uncle 'B' (02-06-2023) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-20-2023, 02:51 PM
BriGlide
Cruiser

Received 66 Likes on 30 Posts

Well I didnt expect the drama would just end that abruptly..lol.. I was following because I recently bought a Wood's 22XE Cam/kit from Fuel Moto I plan to add to my 2021 Street Glide, and I just finished with an install upgrade on my 2020 Road King which got a Se8-447 cam. So I was selfishly waiting to see how the 22XE cam (but didnt get there) But glad to hear you got it going.. The Se8-447 with Power Vision really woke up my Road King.. No more power needed.. Now I need to dial back in the fuel mileage.

Last edited by BriGlide; 02-20-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:48 PM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BriGlide
Well I didnt expect the drama would just end that abruptly..lol.. I was following because I recently bought a Wood's 22XE Cam/kit from Fuel Moto I plan to add to my 2021 Street Glide, and I just finished with an install upgrade on my 2020 Road King which got a Se8-447 cam. So I was selfishly waiting to see how the 22XE cam (but didnt get there) But glad to hear you got it going.. The Se8-447 with Power Vision really woke up my Road King.. No more power needed.. Now I need to dial back in the fuel mileage.

Yeah, I never would have expected that the fix was that simple. I am still definitely going to the Wood 22XE. I might be another month or so, so you might beat me to the review. I hear nothing but good things. Supposedly the only thing the 475 does noticeably better is a more aggressive "musle car" idle. With that said, I've heard the idle from a couple 22XE equipped bikes and it doesn't seem to leave me wanting anything more.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:04 AM
BriGlide
Cruiser

Received 66 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Twenty_One
Yeah, I never would have expected that the fix was that simple. I am still definitely going to the Wood 22XE. I might be another month or so, so you might beat me to the review. I hear nothing but good things. Supposedly the only thing the 475 does noticeably better is a more aggressive "musle car" idle. With that said, I've heard the idle from a couple 22XE equipped bikes and it doesn't seem to leave me wanting anything more.
If I'm not mistaking, the S&S 475 has slightly more lift than the Wood's 22XE, but seriously, I don't want the most-lift cam in my bike as if harder on the valve springs. I think either cam will work well beyond stage 2.. The SE447 cam in my 107 Road King, you can tell it's Cammed, but It's not aggressive enough to interrupt a conversation.. Its doing well, lots of low and mid RPM torque and power, and I don't see swapping it out in the future. I think the Wood's 22X cam would be very close to the SE447 cam in overall torque curve and performance (using aftermarket tuners)

Old 03-02-2023, 09:11 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Makes you miss the simple days before it took a computer and room full of techs to make a bike run right
I don't know why you'd say that. Before fuel injection, engines seldom ever "ran right" by modern definitions, they literally needed to be retuned every time the atmospheric pressure, temperature, or altitude changed.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:27 AM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BriGlide
If I'm not mistaking, the S&S 475 has slightly more lift than the Wood's 22XE, but seriously, I don't want the most-lift cam in my bike as if harder on the valve springs. I think either cam will work well beyond stage 2.. The SE447 cam in my 107 Road King, you can tell it's Cammed, but It's not aggressive enough to interrupt a conversation.. Its doing well, lots of low and mid RPM torque and power, and I don't see swapping it out in the future. I think the Wood's 22X cam would be very close to the SE447 cam in overall torque curve and performance (using aftermarket tuners)
From the reviews I have watched on YouTube and the conversation I had with FuelMoto, it sounds like the 22XE is quite a bit more aggressive across the board with the exception of a tiny bit up top and the idle.

It's been a minute at this point, but I feel like I remember watching a cam "shootout" video and the host was ranting about how the 22XE was the way to get the absolute most extreme performance out of a drop in cam with no other modifications.(aside from completing stage 2 with exhaust and intake) It looked pretty impressive on a dyno.

For that reason, I was considering doing the swap. I like the aggressive idle of the 475, but I'm still finding myself short shifting the bike. As soon as I feel the torque stop rising, my instinct is to shift. I think I might not be happy with a straight up torque cam, but I know I'd prefer more than I have with the 475. I get into situations where I'm cruising on the highway between 2k and 3k and I want to speed up without downshifting and the bike barely responds to the throttle input. (at least it doesn't bog anymore thanks to the FM tune)

The 475 really is a great cam, it's just doesn't quite fit my needs. I think FuelMoto was right about it not being the perfect match for the M8 w/RDRS.

I may pull the trigger on the swap soon. Are you still mulling it over?

Quick Reply: Bike Wont Take A Tune With New Cam