Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike Wont Take A Tune With New Cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 02:08 PM
Twenty_One
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TpaGreenHornet
I know it's may be a silly question. But are the o2 sensors plugged in the correct location?
Just one o2 and yes it's in the correct location. Position didn't change much from stock headers to aftermarket.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:23 PM
TpaGreenHornet
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Twenty_One
Just one o2 and yes it's in the correct location. Position didn't change much from stock headers to aftermarket.
Only one? I thought each cylinder need an o2 in the pipe? I'm not a tuner. Was just a thought cause bikes will run but they will run like crap if they are plugged into the wrong connection.

The following users liked this post:
Glenn Gorman (02-06-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 02:27 PM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TpaGreenHornet
Only one? I thought each cylinder need an o2 in the pipe? I'm not a tuner. Was just a thought cause bikes will run but they will run like crap if they are plugged into the wrong connection.
I apologize, you're 100% right. One sensor per cylinder/header pipe. I was thinking about how the shop tuned one at a time. A lot of my old Japanese bikes have one sensor where the headers join together.

These bikes would throw codes if the sensors were bad or installed incorrectly, i'd assume.

Last edited by Twenty_One; 02-05-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:58 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

A small local shop did the cam. He has the PV-3b and just sold me the license.
. I ordered the FuelMoto map and should have that on Monday. I'll have that loaded up and see how it runs..
I'm a bit confused, you dont own any Power Vision hardware?
Is that shop going to load the tune for you?

Old 02-06-2023, 10:14 AM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I'm a bit confused, you dont own any Power Vision hardware?
Is that shop going to load the tune for you?
Yeah, he knows it wasn't right when I left and agreed to tune it. He said to bring it down on Friday, but I'm not sure how long it will be until I have the tune from FM. Maybe today or tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:48 AM
TpaGreenHornet
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

I apologize, you're 100% right. One sensor per cylinder/header pipe. I was thinking about how the shop tuned one at a time. A lot of my old Japanese bikes have one sensor where the headers join together.

These bikes would throw codes if the sensors were bad or installed incorrectly, i'd assume.
If the o2 is good it will still run and not throw a code. just run like crap if they are plugged in for the wrong cylinder. The rear cylinder should be in the black connector. Something simple that may have got missed. I'd double check it.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:01 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Why wouldn't you tune all throttle positions? After you are done you set it do max KPA.. For 1, won't max KPA change with ambient conditions?
You do as was addressed. I hold rpm break point and slowly close throttle until I reach a throttle position that gives me highest KPA. Throttle position for peak KPA is peak KPA. The baro of the day shouldn't affect where this peak KPA is found. Also, when finding peak kpa at say 2750 with 100kpa for baro of day. You don't see a peak just at say 45% TPS. That peak seems to held for several TPS percentages from say 43-48% and is TB size, cam, pipe blah blah dependent.

The following users liked this post:
Lonewolf176 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 11:42 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
You do as was addressed. I hold rpm break point and slowly close throttle until I reach a throttle position that gives me highest KPA. Throttle position for peak KPA is peak KPA. The baro of the day shouldn't affect where this peak KPA is found. Also, when finding peak kpa at say 2750 with 100kpa for baro of day. You don't see a peak just at say 45% TPS. That peak seems to held for several TPS percentages from say 43-48% and is TB size, cam, pipe blah blah dependent.

I think you have in mind what to do for best performance mapping the TGS to the TPS. I was thinking more along the lines of getting VE data for areas beyond optimum performance. Do they even need to be mapped?

Old 02-06-2023, 12:26 PM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 835 Posts

And the cam installer is 100% sure he didn't screw up the cam timing?

Old 02-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Twenty_One
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jake24lt
And the cam installer is 100% sure he didn't screw up the cam timing?
Hahaha...well he sure as hell isn't saying anything if he thinks that might be the case. It's a small local shop. He does have a storefront, but apparently he lives there as well. He has done a lot of bikes and some of the local clubs here and guys that I ride with have said he is good.

I have definitely considered the possibility more than a few times over this past month. I have reached back out to him multiple times while it was at the dyno shop(which is a block away from him) and apparently he met with the guys at the dyno shop and they must have had a not-so-friendly interaction because they both stated to me, separately, that they will never communicate with eachother in the future. I think the dyno shop believes he screwed the timing up, and the mechanic likely thinks the dyno shop doesn't know how to tune a Harley. Unfortunately, neither of then habe even attempted to offer a solution because they're both stumped. I just figured it must be a tune thing, since the bike behaved so differently on each map and screwing up a cam install with alignment marks is a tough thing to do when you have experience.

Would that not screw the bike up throughout the whole RPM range though? Whenever FM gets that map over, I'll be able to shed a lot more light on this situation. If it still has an issue, then I'm going to swap out the cam anyway, and that eliminates the possibility of a timing error. I'll be sure to post here if I find that he missed a tooth though

Quick Reply: Bike Wont Take A Tune With New Cam