Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuner questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 09:36 PM
OutlawFC222
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tuner questions.

Just got everything to do a cam swap on my 13 sg. New billet camplate, race oil pump,cams,lifters,pushrods,rocker lockers etc. Now I need to buy a tuner but wondering if I should get the pv3 or pv1. Seems the pv3 has built in target tune iirc? Should I get a target tune kit or autotune since I don't really trust anyone close to dyno tune my bike. Have the .574 rocket cams which are almost identical to s&s cams, 2-1 sharkroad, heavy breather. Never have I done anything like what I'm about to do lol. Race cars easy **** building a 4k hp blown alky engine but never have tinkered with a twin cam engine much. Any help would be greatly appreciated just want it to run better than stock lol.

Old 12-31-2022, 05:05 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Contact Fuel Moto and tell them your story, they will guide you down the right path and customer service is the best...

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (01-01-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 05:15 AM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,803 Likes on 2,678 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawFC222
Just got everything to do a cam swap on my 13 sg. New billet camplate, race oil pump,cams,lifters,pushrods,rocker lockers etc. Now I need to buy a tuner but wondering if I should get the pv3 or pv1. Seems the pv3 has built in target tune iirc? Should I get a target tune kit or autotune since I don't really trust anyone close to dyno tune my bike. Have the .574 rocket cams which are almost identical to s&s cams, 2-1 sharkroad, heavy breather. Never have I done anything like what I'm about to do lol. Race cars easy **** building a 4k hp blown alky engine but never have tinkered with a twin cam engine much. Any help would be greatly appreciated just want it to run better than stock lol.
dyno tune is extremely overrated/overused. Ever dyno your car after mods? I didn’t. No one I knew did. Get what you prefer/can afford, run the auto tune, and just ride!

The following 2 users liked this post by M Oclaf:
Glenn Gorman (01-04-2023), OutlawFC222 (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 09:07 AM
OutlawFC222
Advanced

Originally Posted by M Oclaf
dyno tune is extremely overrated/overused. Ever dyno your car after mods? I didn’t. No one I knew did. Get what you prefer/can afford, run the auto tune, and just ride!
Not many dynos can handle almost instant 4k hp lol. You gotta remember we launch around 6-7k rpm and 0-100mph goes by in less than 1 second. Anyways I'm not looking for max power I just want it to run good without fear of melting it down from being too lean or milking the oil etc from being too rich if that makes sense.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:10 AM
OutlawFC222
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
Contact Fuel Moto and tell them your story, they will guide you down the right path and customer service is the best...
I've been emailing iirc Ron at fuel moto and he is telling me they won't have a map for my specific cams since they're rocket brand .574 but I've noticed they're very close to s&s .574 cams as far as valve or timing events go. I told him they aren't the easy start cams as well. Is the target tube worth getting or autotune even though the autotune is never always perfect anyways from what I've been hearing. Even a dyno tune is night/day different from real world riding/racing.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:41 AM
OutlawFC222
Advanced

And would like you figure out if I need the autotune or Target Tune kit to make it all work out easier and faster. Still has the factory Delphi ecm with a sepst the old orange box but can't find a tune for the cams etc in their software. So going to buy the pv1b. Any help would be appreciated and it was Bob at Fuel moto who I've been emailing back and forth

Old 12-31-2022, 11:28 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

And would like you figure out if I need the autotune or Target Tune kit to make it all work out easier and faster. Still has the factory Delphi ecm with a sepst the old orange box but can't find a tune for the cams etc in their software. So going to buy the pv1b. Any help would be appreciated and it was Bob at Fuel moto who I've been emailing back and forth
PEASE don’t waste another ~$700 just to replace one perfectly capable tuner for another.
You just need to find a tuner who knows and tunes with the SE tuning tuning software.
Just hate to see folks thinking if they change the tuning device they will have a better tuned/running bike using a suggested/canned map from a supplier. All anyone can supply is a map that will make the bike run well enough to get it to a qualified tuner…unless it is exactly the same build INCLUDING the same exhaust system. There are no 2 bikes that will require the exact same fueling due to all the variables built into any build, even stock.
Save your money and find a good tuner to get your bike to run at its best.
Bob

The following 3 users liked this post by FLTRI17:
Max Headflow (12-31-2022), Slingshot383 (01-02-2023), SWMB (01-02-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 12:33 PM
OutlawFC222
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
PEASE don’t waste another ~$700 just to replace one perfectly capable tuner for another.
You just need to find a tuner who knows and tunes with the SE tuning tuning software.
Just hate to see folks thinking if they change the tuning device they will have a better tuned/running bike using a suggested/canned map from a supplier. All anyone can supply is a map that will make the bike run well enough to get it to a qualified tuner…unless it is exactly the same build INCLUDING the same exhaust system. There are no 2 bikes that will require the exact same fueling due to all the variables built into any build, even stock.
Save your money and find a good tuner to get your bike to run at its best.
Bob
Well Chris rivas has a tune for the pv on his site with pretty much the same mods as mine. With the sepst aka orange box I'd have to lug a laptop around with me all the time if I ever needed to change anything unlike with the pv. I do go over to the smoky mountains 3 or 4 times a year and a tune that worked fantastic here at my elevation runs like **** over there lol. I notice decreases in power, Fuel mileage and other things. Plus it seems as the local hd shop is the only ones who would use the sepst and I don't think they even care about the tc engines anymore since 98% of their builds for the past few years have been m8 engines. I think I'd be much better off in the long run with a pv but I'm not a computer guru so to speak though I can change stuff in my racepak on the funnycars really easy. And know how to read a graph. I was only curious if target tune or autotune pro was worth the extra $516. My pipe has both 12 and 18mm bungs and ATM I'm only using the 12mm bungs for the factory nb o2 sensors. I'm guessing I can leave those in and remove the plugs and install the 18mm wb 02 sensors.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:49 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

S&S doesn't make a 574 cam. Why not go with a more popular cam that you find maps for? Of course it.will still fall short of a dyno tune .
That orange SE PRO Super Tuner is more than capable.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-01-2023 at 01:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 60Gunner:
FLTRI17 (01-01-2023), Slingshot383 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 02:01 AM
OutlawFC222
Advanced

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
S&S doesn't make a 574 cam. Why not go with a more popular cam that you find maps for? Of course it.will still fall short of a dyno tune .
That orange SE PRO Super Tuner is more than capable.
it's very close to the .570 cams.

Quick Reply: Tuner questions.