Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Firing on 1 cylinder, NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,900 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Default RE: Firing on 1 cylinder, NEED HELP!

Are they both black? I'm going with carb too fat. Has someone been in there? Like I said, a hotter plug will get you going until you can fix it right. In general, you want the coldest plug that won't foul.The air filter would have to be really clogged, you don't have any points. Float level, well, maybe, but that's a long shot. Could be weak spark, but doubtful. And if you can grab the plug wire while it is running without electrocuting yourself, then the wire is probably OK. I prefer the screwdriver method as it doesn't hurt as much.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I think you may have already answered your own question:

quote: I'll do that resistance check tomorrow. One thing I didnt mention was that whenever the front cylinder isnt firing, I can usually get it to fire by taking that plug wire off and holding it out away from the spark plug just enough, and it runs normal. (although this is hard to do while riding)

Check connection on coil (electrical wires) make sure they are clean of all corrosion/dirt/etc and tight. Replace you plug wires, clean plugs.

Question to ask yourself is why would it run when you introduce another gap in that ignition line (coil/wire/plug) which increases resistance to firing and it fires. Yet if you remove that gap it does not. You have a break in the wire itself and your moving it is causing it to connect and transmit the charge to the plug.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If the plug continually goes bad.....look at it...is it black and sooty? If so, your idle circuit is messed up and giving what you said you found in the filter and float bowl. You may just have to pull the carb apart and clean it. Also, check the connections between the coil and ignition box....I had a chop doing the same thing and found that not only were the electrical connections corroded and needed cleaning, the cheap *** coil was arching to the heads. When I touched the coil, my fingers came away black (carbon tracking). Needless to say the coil was shot, order a new one, installed it, cleaned the wire connections, applied dielectric grease and did not every have another problem.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:27 PM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for PLUG WIRES