Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine loses spark now and then

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:19 PM
88gator
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine loses spark now and then

My '00 Night Train starts and runs great but sometimes it will lose spark and die. If I cut the kill switch from on to off then back to on it will crank again with the electric starter and start and run fine.

I was on a 100 mile ride last week and this happenned 5 times. When it dies while atspeed I just cut the kill switch on/off/on and it fires back up. When I do this the dash goes through some kind of light cycle because the red "engine" light comes on for 5 seconds or so.

It has a Screaming Eagle ingition box under the seat.

Has this happenned to anyone or any suggestions?

thanks

Old 08-25-2007, 08:24 PM
KingsJester
Intermediate
Default RE: Engine loses spark now and then

Happened to me today......5 times in 15 miles, then it ran fine. it happened before, every once in a while, but it would only happen once, then it was ok. IF you find out what's going on,please let me know.
Andy

Old 08-25-2007, 08:27 PM
88gator
6th Gear

I'm spending the big bucks tomorrow and buying the factory manual.
Let me ask this question - what spark plug (brand, specific type) are you using and in what engine? Also what year.

thanks

Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
KingsJester
Intermediate

Well I have a 2007 Road King Classic with the stock 96ci engine. I put on Rush Ship On's and the Race Tune. The dealer treats me like a freakin idiot, not really telling me what they did. It really pisses me off, cuz they actas if they can't pull up that info. They're so damned busy with people they can makemoney off of. The Rush Slip On's haveinterchangable baffles, but they seem as if they don't know whichsize I got.Also on the "Race Tune", I don't know what the f**K they're talking about. Is that the SERT? I saw the packaging, it wasaprogram disc and they did it at the HDdealership. I know they didn'tdynotune but a few things are evident; it hasa lot more power, better sound, but on the downside the mpg went down, I haven'tcheckedhow much, the pipes were discolored blue and brown (whichmakesme want to take it backtothe shop getit dyno'd and make sure it's programmed correctly), and alsoit just turns off while I'm riding down the road. it had doneit, buttoday Igotcaught in the rain and it did it5 times. it had never done it that many times. before, it did it once and that wasit. it's still under warranty so I am going to take her in. we'll see.
Andy