Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 Race Download vs Stage 1 Legal

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 AM
markymark
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 Race Download vs Stage 1 Legal

I currently have the stage 1 legal and it sucks! pop,stall. I see a few have the stage 1 race DL are yo happy with it?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:34 AM
purple haze
Road Master
Default RE: Stage 1 Race Download vs Stage 1 Legal

Hey markmark hate to give you bad news but you need to invest in a SERT and a good pipe, I'm not sure if you said you changed pipes yet, but K&N is a good start, but you need to have a DYNO-TUNE on your bike un-less you can buy power commander and try to set it, but I like things easy so at 1000 mile service did 2 in 1 header D&D, K&N, SERT, trip. plat. plugs, 8MM plug wires, and let them DYNO bike and it is like night and day on performance and no popping or hic-up's, but you have to pay to play! I think they should have all this done for us with the money we spend on our bikes, but my bike was running chitty till I spent the money now I'm right at 100H.P & 100Tourqe, but I ride C.V.O. FAT BOY and those are rear wheel numbers. GOOD LUCK! PURPLE HAZE

[IMG]local://upfiles/24725/E60FE221CF5C44EC9CF1CC04D40F84B4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-18-2007, 10:35 AM
markymark
Intermediate

Thanx for the reply, I had a DFO installed and the damn thing was causing an engine ping between 2800 and 3200 rpm took the unit of and the ping is gone but now I have the pop and stall happening again. The folk that produce the unit say it can't be the unit but sent it in and they will test it . I have been told that the race download works really well.

The dealer in Fargo and Duluth said that my local dealer installed the wrong DL for the installed equipment and recommended the race DL or a SERT

I would like to hear from anyone who has had it installed. I have a set of SE II pipes off a RK SE 110.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer SHOULD have installed the Stage I Race for the set-up you have....

Seeing as you are using the SE II's and a High Flow AC Kit, that is all that you need...

A SERT is overkill for what you have.....

Now, should you choose to do an "Off OEM" build (True Duals, Head work, cams, Off dimension, etc...) then the SERT is worth it's weight in gold, along with a COMPETENT tuner...

Old 08-19-2007, 08:46 AM
markymark
Intermediate

Thanx Bob, the local dealer won't do a thing for me as far as putting the right download in the ecm so I am going to the dealer 3 hour south of us and having the work done.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I had the race download installed and am very happy with the way the bike runs. I agree with Shovelhead Bob, dealer should have installed the correct download for your configuration, and unless you intend on doing cams, headwork, etc..., the download is all you need. Download cost me $80.00, though some dealers charge upwards of $160.00. It's about 15 minutes labor to plug in, download, and verify. Good tech will also test ride.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:06 PM
markymark
Intermediate

60.00 bucks wow the first stage 1 was $290.00 and the a##holes won't do a thing for me! The shop south want $145.00 and 19.00 to install and test drive. Thanx for all the help!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 AM
hasselbach
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a SERT, I can email you a tune that I have done with your mods that will completely eliminate the popping and surging, and increase your mpg, as well as make the bike run a heck of a lot better.

Harley tunes I've noticed are horrible to meet EPA crap.
Way too lean at part and closed throttle, with a weird ignition advance curve too.

Let me know.

Tim

Old 08-22-2007, 07:21 PM
markymark
Intermediate

Thanx Tim, I am going to Duluth HD and will most likely get the stage 1 race if that don't work then I am going to buy a honda LOL

Old 08-23-2007, 03:02 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Stage 1 race download and added the PC3 to get rid of the decell and shift pops that you shouldn't get with the pipes you have. The race download worked great for me, I rode for a couple months with the Big radius pipes before getting the PC3 with no problems.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Race Download vs Stage 1 Legal