Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thunder max and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 01:33 PM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,127 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Default Thunder max and warranty

Not being very educated on modern day bikes being I rode a carbed bike up until 2020 I have a question. I’m looking at tuning options on my bike and I’m not crazy about screaming eagle stuff, I saw that Thundermax is a replacement ECM, will there be an issue if I need to bring the bike in for warranty work, if I reinstall the stock ECM, will there be any red flags.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:06 PM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,803 Likes on 2,678 Posts

Do a search... plenty of information.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:07 PM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by M Oclaf
Do a search... plenty of information.

Last edited by Ironworker69; 09-05-2022 at 04:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ohio HD (09-12-2024)
Old 09-06-2022, 04:36 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Replacing the stock ECM with an aftermarket will most likely void any engine or drivetrain warranty from HD

Old 09-07-2022, 05:25 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
Replacing the stock ECM with an aftermarket will most likely void any engine or drivetrain warranty from HD
Thanks, I’m wondering if there is an issue and I put the stock ECM back in, will there be any red flags

Old 09-07-2022, 05:49 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,088 Likes on 2,043 Posts

The theory I read was the speedo counts cycles and when you put your stock ecm back in the cycles and mileage will be different. Red flag and likely your warranty will be in jeopardy. Just fair warning if you do go with the thundermax there's not alot of map combos available. Did an installation for a guy a month or so ago of thundermax that he got from fuelmoto thinking he'd have map support from them...we were referred to thundermax support, who were great to work with and the system to send data collection and receive revised maps is very easy to use.

Ironworker69 (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 06:08 AM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,892 Likes on 849 Posts

I can't speak for the warranty side, but I've had a T-max on my previous bike and strongly looking at getting one for my current ride. But, I'm well out of warranty.

As for the S.E. vs T-max? I prefer the T-max. My springer has been upgraded with the S.E. cam plate and 203 cams. Also had the Stage II tune uploaded. Still has a few spots that are less than optimal (misses, sputters) and if it had O2 sensor bungs in the exhaust, it'd have a T-max already! Last bike had the same problem with a S.E. tune. I feel T-max gives you just as much tunability (maybe more), it just does it differently in the way the maps are laid out.

checked on dyno tuning at my H-D dealer and it'll take $500 to get the bike tuned. Then, if I ever change anything, it'll take ANOTHER $500 to get it right again. I don't plan on going big bore or anything right now, but I've got a set of cylinders and heads for when that time comes. If I put a T-max on the bike, it'll cost the same as the two-fer dyno tune, but I'll have wide band adjustability for altitude changes, as well as the ability to tweak things to my liking, not what a dyno jockey thinks is best.

So far as finding a map, get one that is closest to your setup and do a few auto-tunes. It'll adjust the A/F to get to the pre-set ratios. Then, you can go in and richen, or most likely lean out the tune in specific areas to get the best mileage and torque at every part of the throttle. Hardest part of "tuning" with T-max is not touching it until you've put enough miles on the bike to allow it to adjust to your application!

Lots of benefits, but as I said, not sure about warranty stuff.

Ironworker69 (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 06:55 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,785 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Simple answer is yes will void the warranty. What I did is buy a ESW from Motorcycle Agent for 5 years it works for me because I put the miles on a bike. They cover everything and almost all up grades.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:39 PM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
The theory I read was the speedo counts cycles and when you put your stock ecm back in the cycles and mileage will be different. Red flag and likely your warranty will be in jeopardy. Just fair warning if you do go with the thundermax there's not alot of map combos available. Did an installation for a guy a month or so ago of thundermax that he got from fuelmoto thinking he'd have map support from them...we were referred to thundermax support, who were great to work with and the system to send data collection and receive revised maps is very easy to use.
Thanks, that’s pretty much what I was looking for.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:57 PM
pholli12
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironworker69
Not being very educated on modern day bikes being I rode a carbed bike up until 2020 I have a question. I’m looking at tuning options on my bike and I’m not crazy about screaming eagle stuff, I saw that Thundermax is a replacement ECM, will there be an issue if I need to bring the bike in for warranty work, if I reinstall the stock ECM, will there be any red flags.
and yes this kinda old but technically HD and no other manufacturer can void any warranty that’s provided to a customer period but however they have the right to deny a claim but there again any manufacturer has to prove to whatever you done created the problem there again you might have to fight with manufacturer not the dealer the dealers don’t care what u do as long as they get paid from u are the manufacturers but no tuner is going to hurt an engine unless you start messing with things that some don’t understand because pretty much the stock tunes really can hurt more overtime than anything especially when they had twin cams

Quick Reply: Thunder max and warranty