Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Throttle issue involving induction module pins?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022 | 10:02 AM
Wolfman30
|
Stage IV
Veteran: Army
Default Throttle issue involving induction module pins?

Recently bought a 2012 Ultra Limited from a local dealer. Bike ran fine on test ride and on the way home after purchase. It needed some detailing so I spent a couple of days cleaning and polishing it. After the bike completely dried I began to do a visual inspection of it. I noticed that several of the connections and wires had been taped and that the tape had, over time, become brittle and loose. I took off the old tape and re-taped them using heat resistant tape. I then took the bike out for a test run. The bike did not respond to the throttle and "bucked". I was only able to ride it about a block and then returned home. I noticed that the engine light was on. Doing some preliminary research on the internet it appears that the connection pins to the induction module have been known to be fragile and may be the cause of the issue. I removed the tape that I had put on the induction module connection and inspected the wires. I did not see anything broken or loose. I did not want to pull the connection off of the module for fear of creating a bigger problem. I then attempted to start the bike, The bike powered up but now there was no ignition, just a dead switch. Battery is fully charged. I did not find any solutions to the problem and do not want to dig into it further without some informed guidance on how to repair it without having to take it back to the dealer. One suggestion was to re-set the ECM to address the issue but I am hesitant to do that at this point. Any input from the community would be appreciated.

New tape

Orange strands are from the tape I removed.

Connection as it is attached to the induction module.

Old 08-26-2022 | 11:27 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Pull the codes...probably in limited performance mode and or throttle position sensor correlation error. That plug is in rough shape. I'd be willing to bet there's one or more wires in that plug that are either loose or completely pulled out of its respective pin. Theres tons of videos on how to de-pin those plugs. You can clean it, get new pins and fix it or there's a few people selling extension kits on ebay that you can splice in a nice new plug with longer wires so it's not getting stretched like yours are. You might get lucky and the plug might just need to be cleaned. I use electrical contact cleaner and then a little dielectric grease. I've had the throttle position sensor go bad on my bike and it gave all the same indicators as yours. Two options...buy a new throttle body or find a used one and switch sensors. The sensor is the little cover where the plug goes into and it says do not remove or we'll kill your cat...just pop those clips and it comes right off. Start with the free stuff first...clean...clear codes and go for a ride.

The following users liked this post:
Wolfman30 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022 | 02:55 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

I have repaired these harnesses in the past, i can be done with professional results if you take your time. this is a known issue with this year/model,,,,it can be tricky to figure because the wire can be broken inside the insulation and not be readily visible on visual inspection.
m

Wolfman30 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022 | 02:59 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Take a look at this. It's directly related: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post20146804

Wolfman30 (08-27-2022)
Old 09-06-2022 | 02:15 PM
Wolfman30
|
Stage IV
Veteran: Army

Just to update all that provided suggestions and guidance. We initially believed that the issue concerned the wires/pins at the connection to the throttle body. We ran the codes, cleared them, and when we restarted the bike the same codes appeared. I purchased a harness extension kit and installed it. After reviewing several blogs/sites, I felt that this should be done regardless if the issue was caused by this or not just to relieve the stress to the connection. After installing the harness we checked the codes again and they were identical. We then tore into the fairing and began checking the wires from the throttle. We disconnected the handlebars and plugged in a set that we knew operated with no issues. The throttle worked fine and the codes did not reappear. As we traced the wiring from the throttle sensor we discovered that, as the wire harness came out of the handlebars, the sheathing had become scored and exposed the wires. We are currently repairing the wires and re-running all the wires back through the handlebars. This, in and of itself, is a royal pain. Hopefully this addresses the "limp throttle" issue. Will update when we have it all back together.

Codes that coming up after clearing them.

Kit I purchased to address the connection to the induction unit

Kit installed. Notice good amount of slack in line.

Wires running from the throttle via the handlebars to the throttle. Highlighted area shows where wires are scored and exposed.