Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 download again

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:08 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Stage 1 download again

05 Fatboy injected
I dont want to beat this subject to death but :
I bought Screamin Eagle II slip ons and am planning to go with the A/C
All the reading about SERTS, PCIII and the dealer Stage 1 download is certainly confusing. Is the Stage 1 suitable, acceptable, and dependable enough to go with the combination I am intending? This is all I plan to do to the bike and really dont want to spend the big bucks for something I dont need. Will it run hot or hotter than it does now? I am happy with the way the bike runs now and I just want it to sound right.
Thanks in advance.
MikeM

Old 08-16-2007, 03:43 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stage 1 download again

It should run exactly as hot as it does now, assuming it's currently up to snuff with the EPA regs as they were at the time it was made. The stage 1 download will restore that condition with the new hardware.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:27 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Let me modify that reply. (That one and this apply only to the "Stage 1" download.) It might actually run a tad hotter since it'll be making more power, if you run it so that it actually produces that extra oomph.

It will, by law, be just as lean as the day you bought it (assuming the dealer didn't break the law by modifying the emissions in some way for you prior to delivery).

Old 08-16-2007, 06:39 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The stage download from the dealer will add a small amount fuel across the board but the download is still on the leanm side forEPA. It should run better with the additions but the fuel map from the dealer is still on the lean side. It will be a bit cooler but not alarge amount.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

The extra fuel would normally tend to effect some cooling. But in this case, there is extra air as well, so the fuel is added for the sole purpose of maintaining AFR. In the end the pistons and cylinder heads will heat up the same amount unless the extra power capability is put to use, when it will be generating more heat than before.

I believe the tendency to "feel" like there's less heat is the result of either using the same amount of throttle as before and going faster, or maintaining speed using less throttle. A pound of fuel mixed with a 14.6 pounds of air and burning is going to create the same amount of BTUs as it did before.