Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 06:25 PM
diablos
Road Captain
Received 632 Likes on 267 Posts
Default Crank no start

In sturgis today and we go to leave, fire it up and it backfires through the intake and dies. Crank again and keep it running by giving it throttle, seems ok, so i pull out onto main drag. Dont even make it to the next stop and its spitting and sputtering, and then fully dies. Cranks but wont restart. I think i can hear the fuel pump (but im in the middle of sturgis...), but no restart and i dont want to kill the battery. Get it towed home, hook up my fuel pressure gauge (thinking bad pump or lines), and it fires up fine. Pressure showing 60lbs, may have seen a split second of 40lbs (could have been me), but seems absolutely fine. Didn't test ride to see pressure during riding conditions, didn't want to tow it twice in one day... Wtfo

Last edited by diablos; 08-13-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:25 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

I can not see year and model.
Perhaps fuel concern such as tank liner releasing a piece and blocking fuel flow.
When bike is OFF for some time the piece of tank liner floats away and fuel flow is restored.
After a while the piece later gets sucked back to same area and blocks fuel flow.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:39 AM
diablos
Road Captain

Originally Posted by im
I can not see year and model.
Perhaps fuel concern such as tank liner releasing a piece and blocking fuel flow.
When bike is OFF for some time the piece of tank liner floats away and fuel flow is restored.
After a while the piece later gets sucked back to same area and blocks fuel flow.
2007 lowrider.

More details as my sfb remembers. About 6 months ago i had fuel issues and had to replace the pickup, filter, and regulator, but stupidly didn't replace pump or lines.

Ive also replaced the o-rings on the tank quick connect line (but ive read the safety in there can be a hot start issue so maybe replace that pos).

Soo, after much reading, maybe vapor lock caused by pinholes the line? (But fuel pressure cold here at the house is 60psi, only bleeds down to 55psi if i wait to crank it), it will crank up now cold and fuel pressure will hold steady at 60psi.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:57 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

You have a 2007 Lowrider.
Basically a Dyna model.
If bike starts and runs then a piece of tank liner that released and floated towards fuel pick-up would be likely cause.
You ride and the piece of tank liner moves towards fuel pick-up.
When bike turns OFF the fuel liner piece floats away.
Bike will then restart and run but the piece starts moving towards fuel pick-up again and the situation repeats.
There are about 10 one time use bolts on top access panel of fuel tank.
If someone is careful and does not overtighten the bolts then bolts can be re-used.
Once gaining access to fuel tank "insides" take a flashlight and look.
Very likely to see the fuel liner piece that you need to remove.
Keep in mind that fuel liner piece is the color of inside of tank so a quick look is not enough.
Use great caution since sparks and fuel can cause a problem quickly.
*A vapor lock would quickly resolve if fuel cap is removed.
**A pinhole leak would not make bike difficult to start unless somebody ignored it for a LONG time or if tank was at 1/2 tank or less.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:05 AM
shaggieshapiro
Road Master
Received 669 Likes on 285 Posts

I agree with the above poster that it could be the tank liner, but when you did make the earlier repairs did you use silicone or blue loctite? Could be debris blocking fuel flow

Old 08-14-2022, 11:26 AM
diablos
Road Captain

Originally Posted by shaggieshapiro
I agree with the above poster that it could be the tank liner, but when you did make the earlier repairs did you use silicone or blue loctite? Could be debris blocking fuel flow
No silicone or loctite was used to replace anything in the tank, the insides looked good when i had i apart last time (but we know that can change), and i only run premium to hopefully keep water out if the fuel

Old 08-14-2022, 11:30 AM
diablos
Road Captain

Originally Posted by im
You have a 2007 Lowrider.
Basically a Dyna model.
If bike starts and runs then a piece of tank liner that released and floated towards fuel pick-up would be likely cause.
You ride and the piece of tank liner moves towards fuel pick-up.
When bike turns OFF the fuel liner piece floats away.
Bike will then restart and run but the piece starts moving towards fuel pick-up again and the situation repeats.
There are about 10 one time use bolts on top access panel of fuel tank.
If someone is careful and does not overtighten the bolts then bolts can be re-used.
Once gaining access to fuel tank "insides" take a flashlight and look.
Very likely to see the fuel liner piece that you need to remove.
Keep in mind that fuel liner piece is the color of inside of tank so a quick look is not enough.
Use great caution since sparks and fuel can cause a problem quickly.
*A vapor lock would quickly resolve if fuel cap is removed.
**A pinhole leak would not make bike difficult to start unless somebody ignored it for a LONG time or if tank was at 1/2 tank or less.
Really weird the, because we must have walked around for an hour (bike hadn't totally cooled off as it was in the 90s), you'd think a piece of debris would've floated to the top of the tank in that time?

And why wouldn't it get sucked up idling?

Either way i guess ill need to crack it open and inspect.

Old 08-14-2022, 01:34 PM
Baird
Club Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 456 Posts

Could be ignition coil, they like to play with you when failed, work cold, heat up and fail again.

The following users liked this post:
diablos (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 03:04 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Debri does not float to the top.
It just moves about.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:48 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,842 Posts

A ton of stuff could be wrong.
Igntion coil, crank sensor, fuel delivery. Throttle posistion sensor maybe to

Does it have spark? I was running poorly. Does it start at all now?

My 07 would stall once in awhile when under half tank. I had 55k miles, so I replaced pump, hoses and filter. Because it ran fine over 1/2 tank I knew it fuel. Plus at 55k, I figured good to just replace all that stuff. I could not find any holes by just blowing on lines, but that is not very accurate either.

Just repalced the coil on 01 for second time. But my 07 is still working. Should one of these days.

What about codes? You can read through dash with kill switch off. Hold reset button in, and turn on bike.

check engine should come on during start up, then turn off. If recent code will come on again. If active code will stay one, I believe. I woiuld check codes. Though on my carbed bikes it didn't crank and cpk were bad. But still worth looking.

Quick Reply: Crank no start