Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

stage one vs. stage two big bore

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:07 PM
DUMB AND DUMBER
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stage one vs. stage two big bore

My local dealer is trying to talk me into a stage II big bore kit install for $1550. vs. a stage I stock bore for $670. both including labor. My ride is a '06 Herit. Soft. Classic efi. One dealer claims the stage I isn't yet possible on the '06. Can I get away with SEII slip ons with the stage II? Will I notice enough of a difference with the stage one. It seems to me a majority of the posters here stop at the stage one with slip ons.?

Old 11-13-2005, 08:28 PM
R Horn
Cruiser
Default RE: stage one vs. stage two big bore

Unless your going to do head work or replace the heads then you will never get the value out of goung to 95" kit. Bang for the buck is an air cleaner and a PC or Sert. After that comes cams, headwork and Upping the displacement should come last and only after headwork. my $.02

Rich

Old 11-13-2005, 10:34 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I just had the stage2 bigbore done,with the SE 203 cams and SE Pro slip on mufflers. My bike a former police bike was just about to come out of warranty,and I had some concerns as to the engine noise,so........ I opted to have the motor opened up,checked out and have the stage 2 at the same time...... glad i did it when i did,the dealer found my oil pump was all scored up and needed to be replace,along with a inner primary leak as well,both warranteed(saved me $700.00 out of pocket) while doing the upgrade i asked that the cam tensioners be changed out(9,008 miles on the bike) while they were doing the cams and had it all apart(not included with the upgrade) the cam tensioner showed some wear,the HD mechanic told me he expected more wear than he found on them,dealer was cool about the tentioners enough to include them under the warranty work,again saved me a couple bucks.I also had other work done while the bike was in(10,000 mile service,wanted the bike checked over go before it came off the factory warrantee

for my riding style,and big heavy bike,the stage 2 with the 203 cams,SE air cleaner,SE pro mufflers with the stock heads is more than enough of a upgrade for me,i'm not looking to speed from light to light on a dresser,was looking more at alittle more torgue on the hills and passing,while riding two up ,and to get rid of the sewing machine sound of the bike,lol

possibally in the future i'll have some head work done and change out the cams to a gear drive set up,for now i'm more than happy with the difference of before and after

Old 11-13-2005, 11:24 PM
DUMB AND DUMBER
Intermediate

Thanks for the info.. But have you heard anything about not being able to do a race tuner or any other pc change with a stage one on a '06 softtail EFI.?

Old 11-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I just did stage I(A/C, Chip and remap, SE II's) on my '06 Softail Heritage Classic. No problems. I think alot of it depends on where you live and the EPA! The steelership won't do performance upgrades that will violate local laws or sound ordanances. If you live in CA, they will do the A/C and download, but won't install the SE II's. SE II's are only "street legal" in a few states. Some states won't allow any sound level increase over stock mufflers (Idaho). In CA, you have to install catalyst mufflers. Of course, you can always do the install yourself and save the catalyst mufflers for inspections.