Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax TMAT at 100% throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:36 PM
rodmodder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thundermax TMAT at 100% throttle

I have a tmat on my 02 Rg and I love it. The only stumbling block so far is when I am at 100% throttle there is nothing. I can't tell if it is too lean or too rich, but either way the bike is decelerating at 100% throttle. Is there something I can do about this?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 AM
avacado
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thundermax TMAT at 100% throttle

We need more info as in engine size, brand of air filter, type of exhaust, injector size, throttle body size and which map you are using (and who installed it?).

Old 08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
kdietz
Road Captain

rpm limiter?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:54 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm guessing the wiper in the TPS is losing contact at 100%. It might be over-traveling and going past its corresponding contact surface (or lifting off of it). Do you have some software to monitor in real-time what's happening? Does it indicate 100% throttle position or does it ramp up to the high 90's then drop off the face of the earth? If I were an engine-controlling computer I'd sure never assume the throttle was at 100%. I'd want to know that for sure before I did anything. Heck, I'm pretty sure I'd throw an error into the system log if the TPS suddenly "disappeared" for any length of time at all.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:28 PM
rodmodder
Cruiser

I don't know what the wiper is. I like the idea of the rev limiter, I'll have to check that. But then again the engine dies regardless of rpm, it's when ever the throttle is cranked all the way. What does all my engine stuff have to do with anything? But here goes:
Arlen Ness big sucker air cleaner
S&S 570 cams
SE pro pipe 2 into 1
SE cast hc pistons
stock tb
stock injectors

Old 08-15-2007, 03:24 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Not having torn apart a TPS off a Harley, I'll just have to assume it's like any other variable resistor. There is a stationary (usually circular) pattern of whatever the resistive element is with one wire connected to each end. The third wire is connected to a "wiper" of some type. It's a contact that swings with the moving part (be it the volume **** on your stereo, or the part of your TPS that interfaces with the throttle plate) and wherever it is along that circular pattern at any given time the resistance measured between it and either end will reflect its position within the arc of travel. If you go to "full volume" with your throttle and that wiper travels further than the resistive element it traces then you'll have infinite resistance between it and either endpoint. There should be the whole resistance value or none. Infinite resistance is never accounted for and should never be obtained.

Either the TPS has worn out in that area or you've adjusted it for 0% to a place which allows or requires it to travel too far at 100%.

Hook your computer up, power up the TMAT, and monitor the throttle position in the display I'm assuming you have. It should go from 0 to 100 percent and back again as you manipulate the throttle. Get back to us when you've done that.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Jman67
Tourer

Yup...use the monitor while hooked up and bring it to 100% and see what it says on your screen