Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPST Tuning Question...2 base maps

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 04:58 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts
Default SEPST Tuning Question...2 base maps

Ok guys ,I know I've asked similar questions in the past, please bear with me, 2007 Touring with 103 and SE204 cams with orange SEPST. Only two maps available...

176QA005.dt0 1690 Stage 1 with stock Cams

176ST002.dt0 1580 Stage 2 with SE204 Cams

It looks like I have two options...

In the past I went with 176ST002.dt0, the one with the cams and just upped the displacement to 103 in Tuning Setup then ran multiple smart tune sessions. .

Would there be any benefit to....

....running the 176QA005.dt0 1690 Map and copying the Spark Advance tables from the 176ST002.dt0 map with the 1580 and cams?

I see in addition to both maps having completely different Spark Advance tables, they also have completely different VE Tables. There is no way to blend them, I'm guessing that whatever way I go, a couple of Smart Tune sessions would take care of the VE, but I guess you could say that about the Spark Advance tables as well.

My present VE Tables and Spark Advance Tables look nothing like the ones in either of the base maps I listed. I also run MyTune.

I'm trying to remedy hot start issues, I've received advice about retarding the timing in certain cells, no problem, I will give that a try,

but I also have a weird timing glitch so I just wanted to start fresh with a base map and go from there. Here's a screen shot

Thanks, Jim

Last edited by roussfam; 03-31-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:05 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Did you take any action on the advice in this thread - especially on compression releases? The advice I gave on timing there is the best you will do without compression releases and that cam.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...-issues-2.html

Old 03-31-2022, 07:54 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Did you take any action on the advice in this thread - especially on compression releases? The advice I gave on timing there is the best you will do without compression releases and that cam.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...-issues-2.html
Yup, got it last time, I'm going to adjust those cells as you suggested, bike is still parked at the moment, probably be a couple of weeks yet.

Just thinking about reloading the base map, and doing a Smart Tune again. The timing blip is what's bothering me. Or maybe I should just do a couple of Smart Tunes and see if those cells repopulate

Edit: like I said, bike is still parked for the winter. Laptop died a couple of weeks ago, had to buy a new one. Finally got around to installing the SEPST software on it and went into the garage earlier and was able to retrieve my map from the VCI. I wasn't sure if the SEPST would let me, so I was already thinking I'd have to reload a map and start over in order to have a copy on the laptop.

Last edited by roussfam; 03-31-2022 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:06 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Here are my VE values in graph view then table view, front cyl is on the left, looks like something is off. That's why I'm thinking about starting from scratch. Just wondered if I should start over the way I originally did, using the SE204 map and raise the displacement to 103 or try going with the big bore map and copy the SE204 timing tables?

Here are my Spark Advance Tables, front cyl is on the left. They look similar but Ed pointed out an issue with the rear when I originally posted in table view.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:34 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

I would start with 176St002 and bump to 103. The 1580 is already a stroker crank which changes timing demand and has the 204 cam. I put together a map for you that I would start with if you want to pm me your email.

Also I would use the SEPST autotune function not the aftermarket program you are using.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-01-2022 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:15 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok, I finally got the bike out today for the first time this year. I loaded the map Ed sent me and did a Smart Tune session, here are the results....I still have red cells in the Rear VE Table even though the displacement was raised to 106....and while I don't have a clue what the colors mean, it looks like there was a heck of a lot of change in the rear VE after the Smart Tune.

Last edited by roussfam; 04-11-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:06 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Got your PM that you are working the map I sent. Only the tables are helpful, not the graphs.
Unless you are planning on cruising at 4000 rpm and 25 percent throttle in that one cell, don't worry about the 127.5
Also, I changed the VEs before I sent them to you and you are posting original VEs - that means nothing at this point. If the Blue are the changes and the white on the same table are the VEs I sent, then it was pretty close but you need to capture more of the map to make a decision on a displacement change.
Just out of curiosity, why are you asking opinions - what are you looking for as an answer? Don't quite understand where you are going with that. Do you want everyone to chime in while simultaneously asking me?
How did it run with the map I made up?

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-11-2022 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:34 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

It ran great. Seems to spin up a little quicker, thank you.

Yes, white are the cells from the map you sent and blue are the changes from the smart tune session today which I copied into your map and reloaded. So it looks close, great!

Regarding my thread I apologize, I thought it would be easier to cut and paste all those screen shots to the thread rather than a PM and I didn't want to bother you through your personal Email address. I wasn't trying to get "other" opinions, I honestly thought it would be easier for you.

As far as what I'm trying to accomplish, just trying to dial in my "tune". I know just enough to be dangerous.

Jim

Old 04-11-2022, 04:46 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Don’t worry. I just couldn’t figure out what you were asking everyone for. I am more than happy to help dial it in for you.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:13 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Looking at your results from smart tuning. Mark your throttle at the various positions and use different gears (realistic) to gather as much data as possible through the TP & rpm ranges. I could blend a lot of the cells you have, but it would be much better if you could gather more data, You can also get a lot of data in the areas you spend a lot of time at and when we get those VEs really dialed, we can set the A/F to an open loop mixture if desired and it will be really close. You can get a lot of data by playing with combinations of gears and throttle and letting it accelerate until it either stops or isn't realistic to be in that area. We then blend the edges based off gathered data.

Basically you would apply the changes you collected (blue will turn white) and do another data gathering session to get more of the map and apply those changes.

Quick Reply: SEPST Tuning Question...2 base maps