Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2009 FLHP Tuning Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 11:22 AM
speedy501258
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 FLHP Tuning Issues

Hello all,

First post here. I have a new to me last year 2009 FLHP. It was completely stock until last spring. Last year I put some mufflers and a S&S air cleaner on it. I also added a Vance & Hines FuelPak FP3 to adjust for the mufflers and air cleaner (yes, I know this is not a lot of peoples preference). It worked great for this and rode all summer without issue. Over the winter I decided to do some more work and put in S&S MR103 gear drive cams, adjustable pushrods, cam plate and oil pump. The only electronics that were disconnected during the install was the electronic throttle and the O2 sensors. I did verify that they were all connected properly again. I used the FP3 to change the tune for the new cams. On the first start it sounded great and all appeared to working as it should. I let it run for a few minutes to get the oil circulating good and warm it just a bit before shutting down and rechecking fluids, etc. When I tried to start it the second time, I found out that the batter was low so it wouldn't start, it would just turn over without firing. I charged the battery and when it fired up again, it was running extremely rich. I tried re-flashing the ECM again but the next start was rich again. I am currently waiting on my new battery to arrive to test it with a fully charged new battery and hoping this will clear up my issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there something else I need to do? I've had plenty of experience with carbureted bikes but this is my first EFI bike so I'm just getting familiar with the ins and outs of an ECM. Any knowledge you can pass on would be appreciated.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:26 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

First off , welcome to the forum , head over to the welcome section and introduce yourself , lots of great guys / gals here , useful information and a lot of fun to be had .

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/welcome-area-only-4/

I used the FP3 for awhile on my bike , until I did my cams , then got the bike dyno'd . One thing I can tell you , is the map that you installed for your cams will more than likely need adjusting , I suggest after you get your new battery installed , go to the help / support section in the program and send them an email explaining your issue , telling them what you have for a set up , including your Vin # , next , upload your map to them for review , they'll make some adjustment and send it back for re flashing .

Also , double check your exhaust and intake for leaks , any error codes present ? If any report back .

Hope this helps .

Old 03-22-2022, 08:38 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,665 Likes on 990 Posts

You don't lose your flash when a battery goes dead. Couple things it could be, wrong tune, call V&H, they will have you upload it and will send you back the correct tune. Next thing I would be looking at is pushrod adjustment. Your first start pumped them up which is normal but could explain why it ran good at first.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:25 PM
speedy501258
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chopper_man
You don't lose your flash when a battery goes dead. Couple things it could be, wrong tune, call V&H, they will have you upload it and will send you back the correct tune. Next thing I would be looking at is pushrod adjustment. Your first start pumped them up which is normal but could explain why it ran good at first.
@chopper_man I know my tune may be off a little and I'm 99% positive my pushrod adjustment is good unless something came loose, and I will double check them. The thing is it will still start and run but it's just extremely rich. I've done pushrods in just about everything prior to twin cams and I know what they sound like if something is off, this just doesn't sound like that at all. EFI and throttle by wire as well as ECMs are all new to me and the troubleshooting I'm used to is quite different once you're past the very basics.