Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SE performance ignition module gives engine light/injector warning code on carbed bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 06:32 PM
90anlu92
Intermediate
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts
Default SE performance ignition module gives engine light/injector warning code on carbed bike

Hey everyone.

I have a 2003 Heritage softail with a carbed 88TC engine which had some work done over the winter. 98cui big bore kit, high compression pistons, new cams etc, and I also had a 6200rpm screamin eagle ignition module installed to cope with the compression increase. This module is giving off some strange codes which light up the engine warning light. The mechanic who checked the codes says it seems to be a rear injector fault... On a carbed bike... The engine runs beautifully and the ignition module seems to be working as intended, no pinging tendencies despite a pretty radical compression increase and the rev limit has been increased just as the module is supposed to do. No real issues what so ever, except for that pesky warning light which won't turn off.

Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on? The engine light turns off if the original ignition module is put back in, so it seems obvious that it's related to the new module... Can't really run the old module any longer due to the modifications done to the engine though, and the SE module does seem to work fine as far as functionality goes... It's just strange that it give off that injector code on a bike that doesn't even have them, or any other relevant electronics relating to this code... Anyone else had this problem and maybe got a solution to it?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Old 03-20-2022, 07:41 PM
carlmartine
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It is possible that your ignition module behaves like the Dynatek ignition module I have, The instructions for mine state that it...."operates the check engine light differently than the stock ignition module, It goes on to say that ..."when the ignition is turned on, the Dyna ignition illuminates the check light after a self-diagnosis completes. The light remains on until a valid signal from the crank sensor is received when the motorcycle is started." Perhaps yours has something to do along these lines, and you may need to check your crank sensor.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:59 PM
90anlu92
Intermediate
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by carlmartine
It is possible that your ignition module behaves like the Dynatek ignition module I have, The instructions for mine state that it...."operates the check engine light differently than the stock ignition module, It goes on to say that ..."when the ignition is turned on, the Dyna ignition illuminates the check light after a self-diagnosis completes. The light remains on until a valid signal from the crank sensor is received when the motorcycle is started." Perhaps yours has something to do along these lines, and you may need to check your crank sensor.
Thanks for your input!

I spoke to my mechanic about this and he claims that if the crank sensor was bad the engine wouldn't start... Can't be sure though. All I know is the engine starts and runs with both the SE module and the original one but with the original one the light behaves as normal, lights up when ignition is on and kill switch set to run and then turns off after a few seconds. With the SE module it lights up but never goes out, not even after the engine starts.

I did manage to find some info that states some of the early SE modules were actually recalled due to "software fault that may cause the module to shut off without warning":
https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment-deta...101086#recalls

I also found some forum threads mentioning problems with the engine light after putting in an SE module...

My module technically isn't listed under the recalled part numbers, mine is marked 31778-00 while the list of recalled parts only mentions 31778-01... I did however hear that the last two numbers only relate to the year of manufacture, and in that case the 01 module would be newer than the one I have so the info regarding the issue probably concerns my module as well. Or does anyone happen to know otherwise?

Oh well... Seems like I need to get a new module, I don't want to run my bike with a module that might cut out at any given moment. It's weird though. I got this module second hand and it has been working fine for many years without lighting up the engine light on the previous bike it was on. But suddenly when I put it on my bike it gives off this weird code and lights up the warning light. But other than that, it still seems to work as it should...

On a related note, does anyone know how long Harley usually honor a recall? Warranties are ofc usually limited but does it work the same if a part has been recalled? How long after the recall was issued can you reasonably expect them to accept a return? I'm guessing it's been far too long by now but you never know...

Old 03-21-2022, 01:36 AM
carlmartine
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What a coincidence. Just a couple of weeks ago, my bike would crank but would not start. I had no spark from the Dynatek ignition module to the coil. I first suspected my ignition module had gone bad. I'm glad I did not buy one. Instead, I installed a new crank sensor and that fixed it.

The following users liked this post:
IronAss (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 04:39 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by carlmartine
What a coincidence. Just a couple of weeks ago, my bike would crank but would not start. I had no spark from the Dynatek ignition module to the coil. I first suspected my ignition module had gone bad. I'm glad I did not buy one. Instead, I installed a new crank sensor and that fixed it.
When I was doing a lot of long distance riding I always had a spare cps.
I never needed it but a guy I came across that was stuck in the middle of BF on the AL-Can Hwy because his bike wouldn't start did. I gave him mine and he was one happy camper.
Any time I was going to be more than 50 miles from home I would have a spare of several easy to replace items that can leave you stuck on the side of the road, or make life inconvenient with me.

Old 03-21-2022, 06:36 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

the first group of numbers are the major identifier of the part. the last two do relate to a year but not specifically a mfg date since that part can carry over many years. sometimes there will be a letter added. these numbers are more related to revisions the part has gone through.
was the machine originally injected?