Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tricking the SEPST?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 11:26 AM
Stevoknievo68
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tricking the SEPST?

Has anyone tried "tricking" the sepst by say adding a stage2 map with only a stage1 upgrade to allow enough fuel to get to the more power afr?

Old 03-07-2022, 12:33 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevoknievo68
Has anyone tried "tricking" the sepst by say adding a stage2 map with only a stage1 upgrade to allow enough fuel to get to the more power afr?
Hmmm, now you've got me thinking, since the bikes are so lean and run so hot stock, you would assume loading a Stage 1 map (which compensates for a free flowing exhaust and intake by adding more fuel) kind of solve the lean/heat issue? I too would be interested in hearing if anyone has done that.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Stevoknievo68 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 02:41 PM
Stevoknievo68
Cruiser

I am gonna try it just to see because as of now with high flow slip ons and a hi flow air cleaner along with the stage 1 remap I can't tell a difference except my wallet is lighter. if it seems to be jacking something up I can change it back to my saved stage1 map.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:59 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

HD use to do that when they just did a download for a stage 1 or 2. The would download the stage 2 map on a stage 1. And some times do a stage 1 on a bike with No mods.

Stevoknievo68 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:12 AM
Crazylegs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The stage 2 might change the timing to allow for cam upgrades so save your working timing tables.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:29 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

With the amount of closed loop cells in the target AFR table. The trims will just bring it back to the target. If you want more fuel. Change the target table.

Here is something about fuel. Stoichiometric means that all fuel is burned. If all the fuel is burned and none is left over. You got as much BTU's out of the fuel that you can. Adding more fuel is not going to create more power. The same amount is going to be burned and that means you just have left over unburnt fuel. This extra fuel that is targeted at higher load settings is for thermal management and not because it creates more power. Where power can be discovered is mechanical leverage done by timing. So, adding a timing table that isn't set up for the cam isn't a great idea to bring out more power either.

The following 2 users liked this post by hrdtail78:
Fat11Lo (03-10-2022), rigidthumper (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 05:30 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
With the amount of closed loop cells in the target AFR table. The trims will just bring it back to the target. If you want more fuel. Change the target table.

Here is something about fuel. Stoichiometric means that all fuel is burned. If all the fuel is burned and none is left over. You got as much BTU's out of the fuel that you can. Adding more fuel is not going to create more power. The same amount is going to be burned and that means you just have left over unburnt fuel. This extra fuel that is targeted at higher load settings is for thermal management and not because it creates more power. Where power can be discovered is mechanical leverage done by timing. So, adding a timing table that isn't set up for the cam isn't a great idea to bring out more power either.
True, change the target table. But an afr of 14.7:1 is not for max power but max mpg. Max power is made from 12.8 - 13.2:1.
Once I'm tuned and my VEs dialed in, I'll run open loop. I won't run 14.7 anywhere. 13.8 is the leanest I'll run at cruise. I could give a $h!+ about mpg.

Slingshot383 (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 09:11 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Why is 12.8-13.2 targeted for max power?

Old 03-09-2022, 08:46 AM
Stevoknievo68
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hrdtail78

Just because it burns all the fuel at 14.7 doesn't mean it wouldn't burn more if it had it to burn. All the research I have read says the 14.7.1 is excellent economy and epa friendliest but for power and better runability a richer mix is key...

Old 03-09-2022, 12:18 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Stevoknievo68
Just because it burns all the fuel at 14.7 doesn't mean it wouldn't burn more if it had it to burn. All the research I have read says the 14.7.1 is excellent economy and epa friendliest but for power and better runability a richer mix is key...
Stoichiometric means all available oxygen is burned. Fuel doesn't burn with out oxygen. Add all the fuel you want. With out more oxygen. You aren't burning any more fuel. Simple 5th grade science. What are the 3 things needed for fire. Spark, fuel and oxygen. Take away or run out of any one of the 3 and no fire.

Please don't confuse this as me saying 12.8-13.2 isn't what needs to be targeted at higher loads or WOT. I am stating that the power being produced isn't because the extra fuel is being burned. It is because the extra fuel is having a cooling affect. One big thing this cooling affects. Ignition advancement that we can now allow because we are controlling this heat.

Fuel = thermal management
Ignition = control over mechanical leverage

The following 2 users liked this post by hrdtail78:
Fat11Lo (03-10-2022), Flo-rida (03-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Tricking the SEPST?